Forgiveness and Repentance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgiveness and Repentance

Jesus then proceeded to tell the Parable of the Unforgiving Servant.

This parable is fairly straightforward: God has forgiven us a massive debt so we should forgive others for their much smaller debts.

Something that I have wondered about: what if the person who wrongs you doesn't believe they have done anything wrong or denies having wronged you?
    Last edited by Paula; 05-04-2016, 09:05 PM.

Originally posted by Paula View Post

This parable is fairly straightforward: God has forgiven us a massive debt so we should forgive others for their much smaller debts.

Something that I have wondered about: what if the person who wrongs you doesn't believe they have done anything wrong or denies having wronged you?
    I struggled with this issue quite a few years ago. Those who wronged me never asked forgiveness, and I have no idea if there was any repentance on their part. It took me a very long time to forgive them, but I did, and I am free of that bondage.

Jesus didn't say we are only to forgive when the other person asks forgiveness. He just said we are to forgive.

I will not forget what was done, but there is no bitterness, no anger, no hatred, only peace. They are left to themselves and to God, Who will deal with them in His own time.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Generally speaking, I think the Bible does seem to teach that the person needs to repent, especially for big sins against you. But the overall point of the parable you cite is that God will treat Christians the way that they treat each other. I don't think you want God being super uptight about your having to repent of everything before he lets you off the hook.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I struggled with this issue quite a few years ago. Those who wronged me never asked forgiveness, and I have no idea if there was any repentance on their part. It took me a very long time to forgive them, but I did, and I am free of that bondage.

Jesus didn't say we are only to forgive when the other person asks forgiveness. He just said we are to forgive.

I will not forget what was done, but there is no bitterness, no anger, no hatred, only peace. They are left to themselves and to God, Who will deal with them in His own time.
        Somebody famous said something like "To forgive is to set a prisoner free - then you discover that prisoner was you".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus tells us how to handle that in Matthew 18:15-17
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Somebody famous said something like "To forgive is to set a prisoner free - then you discover that prisoner was you".
            yeah, I find that to be true. When I am mad at someone and hold a grudge, I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about the situation, feeling angry, thinking of ways to resolve the issue or get revenge, etc. But when I let that go, and just forgive them, then all that goes away and I am free to continue my life without all that stress. Forgiveness does help others, but even if you only forgive them in your heart and they know nothing about it, forgiveness always helps you.

Comment

Leviticus 19:17-18
              Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
              Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.

Luke 17:3-4
              Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

Matthew 18:15-17
              Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

I think the idea is that if it isn't worth rebuking him over and/or starting a fight or court dispute over, then you should just let it go regardless of whether he repents.

Comment

Comment

Biblical law doesn't justify putting someone in prison for debt. Therefore, the master was angry because one of his servants had committed false imprisonment against another one of his servants. The master punished the wicked servant in a comparable manner.

Comment

That looks like a cut and paste job. If you copied it from someone or somewhere else, you need to provide a source citation.

Comment

I think the Lord's Prayer makes it pretty clear that, if we want to be forgiven, we need to forgive, no matter what. I don't see any qualifiers there.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                        Biblical law doesn't justify putting someone in prison for debt. Therefore, the master was angry because one of his servants had committed false imprisonment against another one of his servants. The master punished the wicked servant in a comparable manner.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I think the Lord's Prayer makes it pretty clear that, if we want to be forgiven, we need to forgive, no matter what. I don't see any qualifiers there.
                          Yeah.

Comment

Eye for an eye

Comment

Comment