Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Proverbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proverbs 10:16a

Text (BHS):
    פְּעֻלַּ֣ת צַדִּ֣יק לְחַיִּ֑ים

Transliteration (Accordance):
    pᵉʿullaṯ ṣaddı̂q lᵉḥayyı̂m

Translation (Waltke):
    The wage of the righteous is surely life

Glossary & Analysis (meanings in this context):
    פְּעֻלַּ֣ת צַדִּ֣יק (pᵉʿullaṯ ṣaddı̂q) : construct of פְּעֻלָּה (pᵉʿullā) + adjective צַדִּ֣יק (ṣaddı̂q) : the wage of the righteous.
    לְחַיִּ֑ים (lᵉḥayyı̂m) : preposition לְ (lᵉ) + חַיִּ֑ים (ḥayyı̂m) : [is surely] life.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:16b

Text (BHS):
      תְּבוּאַ֖ת רָשָׁ֣ע לְחַטָּֽאת

Translation (Waltke):
      the earnings* of the wicked are surely** sin and death.
      *The nominal pattern of and denotes the result or product of an act (IBHS
      **Lamed is probably emphatic (IBHS, p. 211, P. 11.2.10i), but Harman believes that the point is moot (NIDOTTE

תְּבוּאַ֖ת רָשָׁ֣ע () : construct of תְּבוּאָה* () + רָשָׁ֣ע () : the gain of the wicked.
      לְחַטָּֽאת (lᵉḥaṭṭāʾṯ) : preposition לְ (lᵉ)** + חַטָּאת (ḥaṭṭāʾṯ) : [are surely] sin and death.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:17a

Text (BHS):
        אֹ֣רַח לְ֭חַיִּים שׁוֹמֵ֣ר מוּסָ֑ר

Translation (Waltke):
        Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life

אֹ֣רַח (ʾōraḥ) : [on the] path.
        לְחַיִּים (lᵉḥayyı̂m) : preposition לְ (lᵉ) + noun חַיִּים (ḥayyı̂m) : to life.
        שׁוֹמֵ֣ר מוּסָ֑ר () : Qal participle of שָׁמַר () + noun מוּסָ֑ר () : [is] : he who heeds instruction.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:17a ― revised to correct translation attribution

My original post of this verset contained NOT Waltke's translation ― as I erroneously indicated, but rather that of the NRSV. This revised post seeks to correct that error.

Text (BHS):
          אֹ֣רַח לְ֭חַיִּים שׁוֹמֵ֣ר מוּסָ֑ר

Translation (Waltke):
          Whoever keeps instruction is a path to life*

Glossary & Analysis (meanings in this context) ― word order of translation reversed to correspond that of English:
          שׁוֹמֵ֣ר מוּסָ֑ר () : Qal participle of שָׁמַר () + noun מוּסָ֑ר () : whoever keeps instruction [is].
          אֹ֣רַח (ʾōraḥ) a path.
          לְחַיִּים (lᵉḥayyı̂m) : preposition לְ (lᵉ) + noun חַיִּים (ḥayyı̂m) : to life.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:17b

Text (BHS):
            וְעוֹזֵ֖ב תּוֹכַ֣חַת מַתְעֶֽה

Translation (Waltke):
            but whoever abandons correction leads astray.*
            *IBHS, p. 439, P. 2.2ff; cf. Jer. 42:20). The parallelism favors a two-place Hiphil with the object elided (IBHS

וְעוֹזֵ֖ב תּוֹכַ֣חַת () : conjunction וְ (wᵉ) + Qal participle of עָזַב (ʿāzaḇ) + noun תּוֹכַ֣חַת () : but whoever abandons correction.
            מַתְעֶֽה (maṯʿeh) : Hiphil participle of תָּעָה (tāʿāh) : leads astray.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:18a

Text (BHS):
              מְכַסֶּ֣ה שִׂ֭נְאָה שִׂפְתֵי־שָׁ֑קֶר

Translation (Waltke):
              As for one who conceals hatred with lying lips

מְכַסֶּ֣ה (mᵉḵasseh ) : Piel particle of כָּסָה (kāsāh) : [as for] one who conceals.
              שִׂ֭נְאָה (śinʾāh) : hatred.
              שִׂפְתֵי־שָׁ֑קֶר () : plural construct of שָׂפָה (śāp̱āh) + pausal vocalization of שֶׁקֶר () : [with] lying lips.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:18b

Text (BHS):
                וּמוֹצִ֥א דִ֝בָּ֗ה ה֣וּא כְסִֽיל

Translation (Waltke):
                and whoever utters slander is a fool.

וּמוֹצִ֥א דִ֝בָּ֗ה () : conjunction וּ () + Hiphil participle of יָצָא (yāṣāʾ) + דִ֝בָּ֗ה (ḏibbā) : and he who utters slander.
                ה֣וּא כְסִֽיל () : personal pronoun m.s. ה֣וּא () + noun כְסִֽיל (ḵᵉsı̂l) : [he] is a fool.

Comment

• Sorry, but my brain is no longer functioning well enough for me to continue this thread.

I think I may just focus on Greek threads, which are easier for my mind to process than are Hebrew threads.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Reece View Post
                    Sorry, but my brain is no longer functioning well enough for me to continue this thread.

I think I may just focus on Greek threads, which are easier for my mind to process than are Hebrew threads.
                    The problem I have doing a Hebrew thread is like the problem I now have balancing the check book ― I just cannot do it any more.

May wife does not like to handle the check book ― which she could do if she were willing ― so she just takes it to the bank once a month and gets a clerk to do the necessary figuring to balance it.

Two or three days ago I spent the morning in a semiconscious state unable to even fix myself a cup of coffee or read anything on my iPad. My wife tells me that I just sat at the breakfast table asking for another cup of coffee until I had consumed four of them, and alternately turning my iPad off and then on again without doing anything with it ― I wasn't conscious enough to actually use it; I dropped it on the flour at least once that I remember, because I couldn't hold on to it.

However, I am still able to thank God with all my heart at the beginning and end of each day, for the fact that all my maladies are tolerable ― without the need for any medication.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:19a

Text (BHS):
                      בְּרֹ֣ב דְּ֭בָרִים לֹ֣א יֶחְדַּל־פָּ֑שַׁע

Translation (Waltke):
                      By multiplying words transgression does not cease*
                      *With a personal subject ḥdlHALOT (1:980, s.v. ḥdl). BDB (p. 293, s.v. ḥādalin multiloquio peccatum non deeritnṣl, not ḥdl.

בְּרֹ֣ב דְּ֭בָרִים (bᵉrōḇ dᵉḇārı̂m) : prep. בְּ (bᵉ) + construct רֹב (rōḇ) + plural of דָּבָר (dāḇār) : when words are many.
                      לֹ֣א יֶחְדַּל־פָּ֑שַׁע () : negation לֹ֣א (lōʾ) + Qal imperfect 3 m.s. of חָדַל (ḥāḏal) + noun פֶּשַׁע () : transgression is not lacking.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:19b

Text (BHS):
                        וְחֹשֵׂ֖ךְ שְׂפָתָ֣יו מַשְׂכִּֽיל

wᵉḥōśēḵ śᵉp̱āṯāyw maśkı̂l

Translation (Waltke):
                        but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

וְחֹשֵׂ֖ךְ שְׂפָתָ֣יו (wᵉḥōśēḵ śᵉp̱āṯāyw) : conjunction וְ (wᵉ) + Qal participle of חָשַׂךְ (ḥāśaḵ) + plural of שָׂפָה (śāp̱āh) + pronominal 3 m.p. suffix : but he who restrains his lips.
                        מַשְׂכִּֽיל (maśkı̂l) : Hiphil participle m.s. of שָׂכַל (śāḵal) : is prudent.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:20a

Text (BHS):
                          כֶּ֣סֶף נִ֭בְחָר לְשׁ֣וֹן צַדִּ֑יק

Translation (Waltke):
                          The tongue of the righteous is choice* silver
                          *pepyrōmenon (< pepeiramenos?), to emend the text to nibḥān (pace Fichtner [BHS]). In Job 34:4, 33; Isa. 48:10; bḥr, p. 112), H. Wilderberger (TLOT, 1:210, s.v. bḥr), and HALOT (1:120, s.v. bḥr) contend that this is the meaning of the Niphalnibḥār as dedokimasmenoneklektos

כֶּ֣סֶף נִ֭בְחָר (kesep̱ niḇḥār) : noun כֶּ֣סֶף (kesep̱) + Niphal participle m.s. absolute of בָּחַר (bāḥar) : choice silver.
                          לְשׁ֣וֹן צַדִּ֑יק () : construct of לָשׁוֹן () + plural of adjective צַדִּ֑יק (ṣaddı̂q) : [is] the tongue of the righteous.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:20b

Text (BHS):
                            לֵ֖ב רְשָׁעִ֣ים כִּמְעָֽט

Translation (Waltke):
                            the heart of the wicked is of little worth

לֵ֖ב רְשָׁעִ֣ים () : construct לֵ֖ב (lēḇ) + plural of רָשָׁע () : the heart of the wicked/criminal.
                            כִּמְעָֽט (kimʿāṭ) : preposition כְּ (kᵉ) + substantive מְעַט (mᵉʿaṭ) : [is] of little worth.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:21a

Text (BHS):
                              שִׂפְתֵ֣י צַ֭דִּיק יִרְע֣וּ רַבִּ֑ים

Translation (Waltke):
                              The lips of a righteous person "shepherd"* many
                              *The translation retains the metaphor to connote the several specific senses of rʿhHALOT, 3:1,259, s.v. rʿh).

שִׂפְתֵ֣י צַ֭דִּיק () : plural construct of שָׂפָה (śāp̱āh) + adjective m.s. צַ֭דִּיק (ṣaddı̂q) : the lips of a righteous person.
                              יִרְע֣וּ רַבִּ֑ים () : Qal imperfect 3 m.p. of רָעָה (rāʿāh) + m. plural of adjective רַב (raḇ) : shepherd many.

Comment

• Proverbs 10:21b

Text (BHS):
                                וֶֽאֱוִילִ֗ים בַּחֲסַר־לֵ֥ב יָמֽוּתוּ

Translation (Waltke):
                                but fools die through* lack of sense**
                                *Causal beth (IBHS, p. 198, P. 11.2.5e).
                                **Taking ḥᵃsar as the construct of ḥeser or ḥōsēr, not [contrary to BDB, see below] as the construct Qal ptcp. of ḥāsēr

וֶֽאֱוִילִ֗ים (weʾᵉwı̂lı̂m) : conjunction וְ (wᵉ) + plural of אֱוִיל (ʾᵉwı̂l) : but fools.
                                בַּחֲסַר־לֵ֥ב (baḥᵃsar-lēḇ) : preposition בְּ (bᵉ) + Qal infinitive construct of חָסֵר (ḥāsēr) (BDB) : for lack of sense.
                                יָמֽוּתוּ () : Qal imperfect 3 m.p. of מוּת () : die.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X