Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How is "Candace" pronounced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is "Candace" pronounced?

We had a reading from Acts 8 last Sunday, and the reader pronounced it "Can-dake". I had always assumed it was just pronounced like the normal given name Can-duss (as in Candace Cameron Bure). A quick search suggested it comes from an Ethiopian term "kandake", so perhaps the reader was actually correct?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    We had a reading from Acts 8 last Sunday, and the reader pronounced it "Can-dake". I had always assumed it was just pronounced like the normal given name Can-duss (as in Candace Cameron Bure). A quick search suggested it comes from an Ethiopian term "kandake", so perhaps the reader was actually correct?
    In Greek, karn dark tray is one possibility - the Greek κανδακη is a transliteration, which would only approximate the original. IIRC, it is not a name, but a title.

ETA: a king's sister, and mother of the heir to the throne.
    Last edited by tabibito; 05-05-2024, 12:05 PM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Like Peter's name, everybody pronounces is like see-phus. But from the Aramaic, it's really Kepha. James is really Yakov. Moses is really Moshekh. Isaiah is really Yeshayahu. Mary is Miriam. Laodicea is Laodikea. Bethlehem is Beit Lechem (hard "ch"). It can go on and on.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        Like Peter's name, everybody pronounces is like see-phus. But from the Aramaic, it's really Kepha. James is really Yakov. Moses is really Moshekh. Isaiah is really Yeshayahu. Mary is Miriam. Laodicea is Laodikea. Bethlehem is Beit Lechem (hard "ch"). It can go on and on.
        Whatever what you pronounce it, just do so with confidence. People will shrug and say, "oh, so THAT's how you say it".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe just add an "n" to it. "Can Dance."

Comment

It is actually "Kandake" in the NIV

Acts 8:27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian[fn] eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship,

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Acts 8:27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian[fn] eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship,
              Thanks a whole lot, Sparko - now I'm hungry for pancakes.

and bacon
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm reminded of a particularly blue remark by George Carlin about how someone can spell their name any way they want and still pronounce it "Smith."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I pronounce Sparko as "King of Tweb and banner of rogue06"

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                    Maybe just add an "n" to it. "Can Dance."
                    Adding "n" makes kandake something that is acted on by the verb (direct object).
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

a good reason for caution before relying on translations that add bits to the text. She would have been the queen mother or dowager queen, with her own court.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I pronounce Sparko as "King of Tweb and banner of rogue06"
                        Yet he is still here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yet he is still here.
                          Well it was temporary and I had to ban everyone from tweb besides myself to do it. But it was done!!!! banned!!!
                          (it was the only way I could stop the DDOS attack we were under)

So you better pronounce my name correctly!!! Or I will consider it hate speech!!!

Comment

Well it was temporary and I had to ban everyone from tweb besides myself to do it. But it was done!!!! banned!!!
                            (it was the only way I could stop the DDOS attack we were under)

So you better pronounce my name correctly!!! Or I will consider it hate speech!!!
                            Working like a champ now, so it was a good job

Comment