No announcement yet.

Exploratory Thread: Mercenaries (3.5e)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost touch to my other sunblade is better rather that just +3/+5.

So with this.
    I have sunblade +3/+5 and sunblade with ghost touch +2/+4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
      is this better rage that the regular rage?

Rage Variant: Whirling Frenzy
      A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action.

Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways. At 11th level (when a standard barbarian gains greater rage), the Strength bonus increases to +6, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +3. At 20th level (when a standard barbarian gains mighty rage), the Strength bonus increases to +8, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +4.

A barbarian using this variant doesn't gain indomitable will at 14th level. Instead, he gains evasion, but only while in a whirling frenzy.

A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability).
      Carrik i hope i have this instead of the regular rage

Comment

Carrik i hope i have this instead of the regular rage
        It's one of the variants on the SRD; I can't imagine him rejecting it.

That said, Whirling Frenzy is not "better" rage, it's "different" rage.
        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post

Better for my character. it will give me additional attack.

For normal attack [full action] (i have greater two-weapon feat):
          main, off hand, offhand

with haste only:
          main, off hand, off hand, + 1 attack (any i am holding)

with rage (variant) only,
          main, off hand, off hand, + 1 attack (highest base)

with haste and rage (variant)
          main, offhand , offhand, +1attack (haste), +1 attack (highest base).

I hope i understand it correctly.
          Last edited by Pinoy; 03-09-2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• The trade-off is one more attack per turn and getting harder to hit with basic attacks and reflex-targeting spells, versus being harder to kill and less vulnerable to spells that target your Will save. In other words, you can choose to be vulnerable to Enchantment-focused wizards or to Evocation-focused ones. I think Whirling Frenzy does suit your character a bit better on at least one level, but I'm not the most efficient power-gamer in the room.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

The trade-off is one more attack per turn and getting harder to hit with basic attacks and reflex-targeting spells, versus being harder to kill and less vulnerable to spells that target your Will save. In other words, you can choose to be vulnerable to Enchantment-focused wizards or to Evocation-focused ones. I think Whirling Frenzy does suit your character a bit better on at least one level, but I'm not the most efficient power-gamer in the room.

I hope the spell resistance 19 and iron will +2 (will save) in my helm is enough for most of our encounter. Also, i hope the +2 resistance bonus on saves against poison, spells, or spell-like effects. in my drawnven belt can be added.
              Last edited by Pinoy; 03-09-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
                Carrik, could I have this instead of the circlet of persuasion?

Information Magnet
                This silken headband has an intricate and relaxing pattern weaved into it, along with memory-jogging magic that makes people more prone to remembering and mentioning helpful little tidbits of information in your presence, granting a +8 competence bonus on Gather Information checks
                Yep, 6400gp.

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post

The SRD variants are actually from UA, and there's quite a few that I wouldn't allow. I'm trying to keep this reasonably normal with minor exceptions. In this case, I personally am not convinced the tradeoffs are worth it, but I don't have any problem with allowing Pinoy to use it. Note to all: the lack of constitution bonus with the rage means its duration is reduced. At level 20, the Whirling Frenzy lasts four rounds less than Mighty Rage would.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The trade-off is one more attack per turn and getting harder to hit with basic attacks and reflex-targeting spells, versus being harder to kill and less vulnerable to spells that target your Will save. In other words, you can choose to be vulnerable to Enchantment-focused wizards or to Evocation-focused ones. I think Whirling Frenzy does suit your character a bit better on at least one level, but I'm not the most efficient power-gamer in the room.
                  Price 4,000 gp (+2), 16,000 gp (+4), 36,000 gp (+6).

Is there a maximum addition to abilities? I already have +6 from my helm.
                  Last edited by Pinoy; 03-10-2014, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    Yep, 6400gp.

The SRD variants are actually from UA, and there's quite a few that I wouldn't allow. I'm trying to keep this reasonably normal with minor exceptions. In this case, I personally am not convinced the tradeoffs are worth it, but I don't have any problem with allowing Pinoy to use it. Note to all: the lack of constitution bonus with the rage means its duration is reduced. At level 20, the Whirling Frenzy lasts four rounds less than Mighty Rage would.
                    is the regular rage better or the variant:
                    variant = 2 (spart, ben)
                    regular = 1 (carrik)

variant rage is 3+ cons modifier, 3+5 = 8 rounds
                    regular rage is 3+ new cons modifier, 3+7 = 10 rounds
                    Last edited by Pinoy; 03-10-2014, 03:47 AM.

Comment

• The thing is, spell resistance 19 is only going to help against low caster level enemies. We are level 20. Any enemy caster level 15 or higher is going to overcome your spell resistance almost every time. A ring of counterspell will only protect you against one specific spell once before it has to be charged again, so it's very easy to bypass. A much better defence against spells would be a ring (or amulet) of spell turning, but that's expensive (98,280 gp for three uses per day, so 65520 gp for two uses per day)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...m#spellTurning

the plusses and minuses of the two rage variants. Whirling Frenzy is a better fit to your character, but not necessarily the best for you in terms of your character's weaknesses

whirling frenzy gives you

better attack overall

better defence against normal and touch attacks

better reflex saves

conventional rage

better fortitude and will saves (will saves are your main weakness)

lasts longer.

If we ever face an incorporeal foe, Chrs' wizard could cast etherealness on us (assuming he's learned and prepared that spell)

If you have any money left over, you could do what I did with my character and buy a masterwork cold iron halberd (620 gp) and an adamantine heavy flail (3015 gp). You could also have one of your sun blades be silvered (180 gp). This would reduce it's damage by 1 (so it would be best to do this for the one you most often use in your off hand), but make it bypass the damage reduction of a lot of creatures, in which cases you'd use that one in your primary hand or two-handed. Assuming CV has a number of 'bless weapons' prepared (or one prepared and lots of pearls of power level 1 {only 1,000 gp each}, this is a cheap way of overcoming the damage reduction of just about any non-epic creature by choosing the appropriate weapon.
                      --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

• Ok remove. Spell resistance. I will just buy periapt of wisdom +6
                        In total my wisdom is 20 (point buy 8 + helm 6 + periap + 6

Wisdom 20 will give me 5 modifier

Total will save is 5 + 2 iron will (helm) + 5 cloak + 2

Comment

Ok remove. Spell resistance. I will just buy periapt of wisdom +6
                          In total my wisdom is 20 (point buy 8 + helm 6 + periap + 6

Wisdom 20 will give me 5 modifier

Total will save is 5 + 2 iron will (helm) + 5 cloak + 2
                          The periapt and helm don't stack with each other, they are both enhancement bonuses. The helm should cost 51,000 gp in total (36,000 gp for the wisdom enhancement, 15,000 gp for the feat). One way to increase your saves would be an amulet that grants a luck or insight or sacred bonus to saves, that would stack with your existing bonuses (e.g. a +3 luck bonus to saves for 18,000 gp or +4 for 32,000 gp or +5 for 50,000 gp)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

A Hope That Burns

Comment

• Spart, CV, Chrs? Any of you want to buy or split the cost of the divine wands of resist energy 30 (8250 gp) or barkskin +5 (18000 gp)? They will be party resources.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
                              Spart, CV, Chrs? Any of you want to buy or split the cost of the divine wands of resist energy 30 (8250 gp) or barkskin +5 (18000 gp)? They will be party resources.
                              With all the changes, i do not have extra gp.

Comment

• Are you still buying the wand? That would be more than enough of a contribution. You could save a little by instead of the iron will and lightning reflexes feats, add a +2 insight bonus to saves on the helmet, that will boost all 3 saves by 2, and only cost 12,000 (with the 50% cost increase for a secondary ability), then you could also get an amulet of +2 luck bonus to saves for 8,000, (or +3 for 18,000 gp), boosting all three saves by another 2 (or 3).

A Hope That Burns

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X