Announcement

Collapse

Lobby Guidelines

You've made it through the revolving doors and now you can mingle and mill about. If you feel like spamming, please head down the hall to the right to the RecRoom. But, if you'd like to meet people, chat about nothing in particular, you know...have polite conversation that doesn't seem to fit easily into any of the other rooms, this is the place!

The Lobby is not for serious debates, there are other areas for those types of conversations. It is more for relaxed chatting or discussing things that don't fit elsewhere. Politics, religion and philosophy have their own place on the site

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Who has ASMR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has ASMR?

And what triggers work best for you?

For me, mouth sounds(such as chewing) work extremely well, which is strange since in real life they're the kinds of sounds that totally gross me out(and, if loud enough, make me want to punch someone). Whispers(especially the unintelligible kind), various types of tapping, crinkling, and brushing work pretty well, too. I recently discovered layered sounds, too, in which you get bombarded with multiple triggers at once, and when they're well done, they're amazingly effective. And I think it goes without saying that recordings made with a binaural mic are much, much better than those without. I had no idea that playing around with the sounds' positioning could make a difference, but it does.

I guess I should share my story, too.

I discovered at a very young age that certain kinds of sounds caused a tingling sensation in my head and down my neck. The sound of gentle breathing when someone looks over your shoulder to read along with you. The rapping of fingernails on a desk, if it went on long enough. And I also figured out that I couldn't cause this myself. No amount of rapping my own fingernails on a surface worked. I clearly remember that the person who sat next to me in 6th grade would do it occasionally. That was about 23 years ago. It wasn't until a few months ago that a certain College Humor video about ASMR was released, I happened upon it by chance, and I found out:
    A) It doesn't happen to everybody. In fact, it only happens to a small minority of people. I honestly didn't realize that most people never experience this, and it never really occurred to me to ask.
    B) That it had a name at all. I still don't like that the M -- Meridian -- is supposed to mean "orgasm." The tingles are definitely not an orgasm, and there's nothing sexual about it at all.
    C) That there was an online community of sorts on Youtube that caters to it. The videos range from the straight-forward to the extremely weird. I stick to the straight-forward ones.
    D) That I had more triggers than I could have imagined. All of the common triggers -- tapping, whispering, crinkling -- work for me to some degree, but some kinds of quiet humming and metallic sounds work for me, too.

Weird, but true.

I have what might be called the opposite of this ASMR. Certain sounds causing an extremely unpleasant tingling in the scalp. neck, then back. Things like markers, or various scratching noises do this. I don't necessarily have to hear it either. Feeling the vibrations through my hands does the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      I have what might be called the opposite of this ASMR. Certain sounds causing an extremely unpleasant tingling in the scalp. neck, then back. Things like markers, or various scratching noises do this. I don't necessarily have to hear it either. Feeling the vibrations through my hands does the same thing.
      I'm honestly not sure if this is a form of auditory-kinesthetic synesthesia, which ASMR is a specific type of, or just the regular reaction to certain sounds like nails on a chalkboard that most people(myself included) have. I've also had trouble using chalk because both the sound and the feel of chalk on a blackboard(especially the feel) get to me. The large-scale switch to dry erase boards was a godsend to me for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Shepherd View Post
        I still don't like that the M -- Meridian -- is supposed to mean "orgasm." The tingles are definitely not an orgasm, and there's nothing sexual about it at all.
        For what it's worth, the physiological aspect of an orgasm is effectively sensory (neural) overload. It centers around sexual references because the genitals are one of the most commonly known areas where humans have large clusters of nerve endings. I've never seen Meridian supposed to mean orgasm, though. I've only seen it in the context of geography or Chinese medicine.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

For both of you.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            For what it's worth, the physiological aspect of an orgasm is effectively sensory (neural) overload. It centers around sexual references because the genitals are one of the most commonly known areas where humans have large clusters of nerve endings. I've never seen Meridian supposed to mean orgasm, though. I've only seen it in the context of geography or Chinese medicine.
            Interesting. Is this why, when a guy looks over the edge of a railing, like on top of a really tall building, there's tingling down there? (quite serious)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Interesting. Is this why, when a guy looks over the edge of a railing, like on top of a really tall building, there's tingling down there? (quite serious)
              I don't know. Indications seem to be that it's either a early/slight trigger of the flight-or-fight response (specifically, increasing blood flow in general but maybe only noticeable there) OR that it's your brain sort of prepping/simulating the feeling of weightlessness. The way our body works, it's probably a bit of both, like your brain/body is anticipating and preparing for a fall.

It happens to me, but I'm not sure it happens to everyone.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Not sure what you're talking about. That's never happened to me.

Comment

Please don't throw out acronyms and assume everybody knows what you're referring to with them.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It happens to me, but I'm not sure it happens to everyone.
                    Not sure what you're talking about. That's never happened to me.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Please don't throw out acronyms and assume everybody knows what you're referring to with them.
                      Google isn't broken. Very first hit is the wikipedia article on it.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Google isn't broken. Very first hit is the wikipedia article on it.
                        Yes, I could look it up. All the same, though, I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to look something up in order to understand an OP. Derek's a big boy, he can handle a little constructive criticism.

And wikipedia is a last resort, not my first option.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Never heard of ASMR by name or description.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Yes, I could look it up. All the same, though, I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to look something up in order to understand an OP. Derek's a big boy, he can handle a little constructive criticism.
                            I generally expect people to read the OP before responding, and I gave all of the "what is it" information in the OP. I did leave out the name, though, except for the word Meridian.

So for those of you who don't know -- it's Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. It's the popular name(I do not think it has a proper, scientific name) for a specific subset of auditory-kinesthetic synesthesia in which certain auditory stimuli cause a kinesthetic response that feels like pleasant "tingles" that begin near the top of the head. The tingles tend to travel downward along the back of the head and neck, and depending on a variety of factors -- personal sensitivity, specific trigger used, current state of mind, etc. -- they may travel farther down the spine and in some cases extend all the way to the limbs. It is also possible through overexposure to become desensitized to ASMR triggers; this can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to recover from.

While I get sensations that are quite strong sometimes, I've personally never experienced them "traveling" farther than my upper spine, just below the neck and between my shoulder blades. It's incredibly relaxing, too. The stress and tension just melts away, kind of like getting the best scalp(and perhaps neck and back for some people) massage of your life . . . without the uncomfortable human contact that accompanies a real massage.

Comment

I'm honestly not sure if this is a form of auditory-kinesthetic synesthesia, which ASMR is a specific type of, or just the regular reaction to certain sounds like nails on a chalkboard that most people(myself included) have. I've also had trouble using chalk because both the sound and the feel of chalk on a blackboard(especially the feel) get to me. The large-scale switch to dry erase boards was a godsend to me for this reason.
                              I didn't have this response to markers and such until after I got RSD(Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy for those who don't know). So, either it's just an intense increase in the sensation, and sensitivity of the latter, or something else.

Comment