Not a good situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Thankfully for the guy I helped, I never bothered asking you. I asked Darth Executor, who suggested I call local churches--all of whom weren't willing to help housing the guy.
    In all fairness, Churches get hit on a lot with all kinds of scams. It's hard, sometimes, knowing how or who to help. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of "accidentally helping" somebody who doesn't legitimately need it, that decline to help somebody truly in need, but it's a call each Church needs to make.

You may not be aware, but there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of people who crisscross this great land of ours taking advantage of Churches. That was one of my jobs when I was a cop - operating the "bunko squad" that exposed some of these scams.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      In all fairness, Churches get hit on a lot with all kinds of scams. It's hard, sometimes, knowing how or who to help. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of "accidentally helping" somebody who doesn't legitimately need it, that decline to help somebody truly in need, but it's a call each Church needs to make.

You may not be aware, but there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of people who crisscross this great land of ours taking advantage of Churches. That was one of my jobs when I was a cop - operating the "bunko squad" that exposed some of these scams.
      It was obvious I wasn't a scammer and that he genuinely needed help. They were just selfish and didn't want to be bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        It was obvious I wasn't a scammer and that he genuinely needed help.
        Meh.... I've been on the other end plenty of times, and I don't actually know you or your approach, so... .

They were just selfish and didn't want to be bothered.
        OR they were trying to be good Stewards with God's money, and spend it where they knew it was needed.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This might actually be a good topic for another thread, Whag.... when somebody calls me (at the Church, in my role as a Pastor) needing help, I often want to know what Church they attend, and why their own Church isn't helping them. I've STILL helped people who are "unchurched", but my priority is helping brothers and sisters. Not all Churches are rich, and many have limited "benevolence" funds.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            Contact your Pastor. Someone else in your local church family may be able to take her in. Some of the other women in the church.
            My friend contacted his pastor and he made an announcement about this in the church. He and his pastor are currently asking people in the church if they would be willing to allow the woman and child to be in their home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
              My friend contacted his pastor and he made an announcement about this in the church. He and his pastor are currently asking people in the church if they would be willing to allow the woman and child to be in their home.
              Wait.... "woman and CHILD"?????? Did you kinda sorta leave that out in the OP?

Comment

Wait.... "woman and CHILD"?????? Did you kinda sorta leave that out in the OP?
                Yes, woman and child.

Comment

Are there laws in certain states that say that there must be a certain amount of days between the home owner telling his tenants to move out and the deadline to move out?

Comment

Are there laws in certain states that say that there must be a certain amount of days between the home owner telling his tenants to move out and the deadline to move out?
                    That's a real can of worms, Jax. Some states have "squatters rights" laws, it can get pretty complicated, particularly when there's a child involved. And, it doesn't sound like there was any written contract, so that can't be a basis of eviction.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that this woman has family who would NOT care for child.

Comment

That's a real can of worms, Jax. Some states have "squatters rights" laws, it can get pretty complicated, particularly when there's a child involved. And, it doesn't sound like there was any written contract, so that can't be a basis of eviction.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that this woman has family who would NOT care for child.
                      There isn't any written contract. She is making the excuse that she has nowhere else to go. Would it be a good idea to call the police if she does not move out by the deadline?

Comment

There isn't any written contract. She is making the excuse that she has nowhere else to go. Would it be a good idea to call the police if she does not move out by the deadline?
                        I don't know your state or local laws, Jax, but in most jurisdictions, this would be a civil matter, not a criminal one. I would guess that the police would advise you (them) to contact a lawyer, or refer you to the Sheriff's department. I honestly don't know. There is an "implied" contract, and that has obviously been violated, but it's just a "he said she said" thing.

The homeowner can't really charge "illegal entry" or anything, since there was an agreement (however mangled) to let them live there, so....

Comment

Just as a general note, I have said before (and I often bring this up when dealing with Christians engaging in commerce or business agreements) that it is crucial to get things written down, signed and dated. It's really easy, after the fact, to "misremember" what was said, or what the terms of the agreement were. And, contrary to the notion that one side is afraid of being "cheated" - often what happens is that neither party remembers what was agreed on a certain aspect, and neither side wants to cheat the other, so one may unnecessarily give up something that wasn't really agreed to. Even a "memo of understanding" in the form of an email helps.

Comment

Crayon and toilet paper if that is all that's handy.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              Crayon and toilet paper if that is all that's handy.
                              I think that's the first time I actually "laughed out loud" this morning. Jake looked up at me like, "say WHAT?"

Comment

I think that's the first time I actually "laughed out loud" this morning. Jake looked up at me like, "say WHAT?"
                                I like to watch People's Court. That's the judge's favourite way of saying, "write it down".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment