Announcement

Collapse

Lobby Guidelines

You've made it through the revolving doors and now you can mingle and mill about. If you feel like spamming, please head down the hall to the right to the RecRoom. But, if you'd like to meet people, chat about nothing in particular, you know...have polite conversation that doesn't seem to fit easily into any of the other rooms, this is the place!

The Lobby is not for serious debates, there are other areas for those types of conversations. It is more for relaxed chatting or discussing things that don't fit elsewhere. Politics, religion and philosophy have their own place on the site

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Parents Voice Concerns about a Middle School History Assignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents Voice Concerns about a Middle School History Assignment

Tennessee parents are voicing their concerns about a middle school history assignment in which students were asked to write "Allah is the only God."

Here is the link to the article:
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/0...-history-class

What do you think about this?

I think that the students should have been allowed to write something like this:
    "I don't believe this, but Muslims believes..."
    "According to the teachings of Islam, the Shahada is..."
    "Muslims believe that Allah is the only God, but I don't believe that."

If they were allowed to write the above, then the reader would not have the impression that the writer believes in Islam.

This truly confounds me... I did some substitute teaching about 20 years ago in a Junior High, and there was a lot of emphasis on Islam, at the same time Christianity was being muzzled. In the same week, I dealt with a student who was subject to being expelled because she kept a Bible on her desk, while the entire student body was invited to visit a specially prepared classroom to experience "Islamic Culture", including prayer rugs oriented in the proper direction, and instructions for praying to Allah.

There's this part from that cite that quotes the Maury County Director of Schools, Chris Marczak:

Our teachers work together to make sure that our students are learning what is expected through the Tennessee academic standards. For this last section on the Islamic World this past week, our educators had students complete an assignment that had an emphasis on Islamic Faith. The assignment covered some sensitive topics that are of importance to Islamic religion and caused some confusion around whether we are asking students to believe in or simply understand the religion.

Can anybody imagine replacing the word "Islamic" with "Christian", and expecting that to fly?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If as in Arabic Bibles Allah is used for the word we translate God. Then without compromise any Christian should be allowed to write "The God is the only God." Being that the United States motto is. "In God we trust." I'm just saying.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The statement is in violation of the Court's rulings regarding religion in the classroom. The school is subject to lawsuit.

This is a no brainer.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          This truly confounds me... I did some substitute teaching about 20 years ago in a Junior High, and there was a lot of emphasis on Islam, at the same time Christianity was being muzzled. In the same week, I dealt with a student who was subject to being expelled because she kept a Bible on her desk, while the entire student body was invited to visit a specially prepared classroom to experience "Islamic Culture", including prayer rugs oriented in the proper direction, and instructions for praying to Allah.

There's this part from that cite that quotes the Maury County Director of Schools, Chris Marczak:

Our teachers work together to make sure that our students are learning what is expected through the Tennessee academic standards. For this last section on the Islamic World this past week, our educators had students complete an assignment that had an emphasis on Islamic Faith. The assignment covered some sensitive topics that are of importance to Islamic religion and caused some confusion around whether we are asking students to believe in or simply understand the religion.

Can anybody imagine replacing the word "Islamic" with "Christian", and expecting that to fly?
          Giving instructions for praying to the god of Islam in a public school is going to far. This goes beyond giving information about different religions. Giving information about a religion is one thing. Give instructions on how to practice it is another thing.

Comment