Announcement

Collapse

Lobby Guidelines

You've made it through the revolving doors and now you can mingle and mill about. If you feel like spamming, please head down the hall to the right to the RecRoom. But, if you'd like to meet people, chat about nothing in particular, you know...have polite conversation that doesn't seem to fit easily into any of the other rooms, this is the place!

The Lobby is not for serious debates, there are other areas for those types of conversations. It is more for relaxed chatting or discussing things that don't fit elsewhere. Politics, religion and philosophy have their own place on the site

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Dumb Things We Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Things We Say

I've noticed an awful lot of "Duck, Bob and Weave" and "Air Ball" stuff lately. I remember certain of our former Mormon friends using the DBW phrase a lot, and a whole bunch of "moving the goal posts".

"Air Ball" seems to me particularly goofy.

I think we should have some kind of award (or penalty) when we say things like that.

Maybe, have to pay a fine of 50 cents to Tweb per use or something.

What's your favorite "dumb thing" that you or somebody else says?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I've noticed an awful lot of "Duck, Bob and Weave" and "Air Ball" stuff lately. I remember certain of our former Mormon friends using the DBW phrase a lot, and a whole bunch of "moving the goal posts".

I think we should have some kind of award (or penalty) when we say things like that.

I think it's particularly funny when someone starts complaining about "bias", and acting like they, or their sources, are not biased themselves.

Comment

Anyone using "Air Ball" should instantly be called out for being a horrible shot caller. Marv Albert they are not.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Isn't everyone biased? The question is... are one's biases true? Is Jesus biased? To the truth, of course.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          I think it's particularly funny when someone starts complaining about "bias", and acting like they, or their sources, are not biased themselves.
          That outta be worth $1.00 fine to Tweb!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Isn't everyone biased? The question is... are one's biases true? Is Jesus biased? To the truth, of course.
            Everybody but me.

Comment

Bacon
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Bacon
                Hairytick!

Comment

I love it when I offer my thoughts on a topic (giving my opinion) and all I get back is "That's your opinion" as if I wasn't aware of that fact. Not only that, it doesn't follow that just because it's my opinion that what I'm stating isn't true. Or at the very least a valid argument. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

One of the reasons that I'll try, where possible, to use sources that slant to the opposite direction of the point I'm making.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      One of the reasons that I'll try, where possible, to use sources that slant to the opposite direction of the point I'm making.
                      Yup, I try to use CNN or NPR or other stuff. Or, if I'm debating Mormons, use their own website!

Comment

I've tried that, and I get stuff like "that person is just stupid", "he doesn't really mean what he's saying", or my favorite "you're quote mining*". If I don't get these, I get people who entirely ignore every key point I make, and go on their own little screed.

*When I've given not only the near context, but greater context from multiple documents as support.

Comment

I've tried that, and I get stuff like "that person is just stupid", "he doesn't really mean what he's saying", or my favorite "you're quote mining*". If I don't get these, I get people who entirely ignore every key point I make, and go on their own little screed.

*When I've given not only the near context, but greater context from multiple documents as support.
                          When I'm accused of quote mining I ask them to show what exactly have I taken out of context.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

...I get people who entirely ignore every key point I make, and go on their own little screed.
                            I'm sorry, were you saying something?

Comment

When I'm accused of quote mining I ask them to show what exactly have I taken out of context.
                              I hate it when they "summarize" something you say, and they won't provide the actual quote. That's always a giveaway that they're not being so honest.

Comment