Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    From Richard Dawkins' Greatest Show on Earth:

"In South America, capybaras (sort of giant guinea pigs) were deemed to be honorary fish for the purposes of Catholic dietary laws on Fridays, presumably because they live in water. According to the food writer Doris Reynolds, French Catholic gourmets discovered a loophole that enabled them to eat meat on Fridays. Lower a leg of lamb into a well and then ‘fish’ it out. They must think God is awfully easily fooled. "
    Not sure that Dawkins is the most reliable narrator of religious practices.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      True. But as Dio notes, he's hardly the only that cites the claim regarding capybaras, and he cites his source for the leg of lamb story.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

True. But as Dio notes, he's hardly the only that cites the claim regarding capybaras, and he cites his source for the leg of lamb story.
        It's also not nearly the worst fig leaf from church history. It was deemed acceptable for King James (of KJV fame) to engage in pederasty because Holy Writ only condemned men lying with men, not boys.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

https://dolly.jorgensenweb.net/nordicnature/?p=1568

Beaver tail is okay too apparently.
          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• We prolly should keep in mind that this was all before Linnaeus and the modern scientific classifications. For instance, at one time they classified everything that flew aside from bugs as being birds. That's how we got bats listed as a bird in the Bible. Therefore, it could be argued that they saw anything that is aquatic or even largely aquatic as a type of fish.

That. of course, doesn't excuse the "fishing" of a leg of lamb out of a well and calling it fish.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We prolly should keep in mind that this was all before Linnaeus and the modern scientific classifications. For instance, at one time they classified everything that flew aside from bugs as being birds. That's how we got bats listed as a bird in the Bible. Therefore, it could be argued that they saw anything that is aquatic or even largely aquatic as a type of fish.

That. of course, doesn't excuse the "fishing" of a leg of lamb out of a well and calling it fish.
              I merely found it humorous, I meant no extra commentary here.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I merely found it humorous, I meant no extra commentary here.
                I'm just noting that while most would use this as a too clever by half way of getting around the prohibition, there would likely be some who thought it was a completely, and incredible fortuitous happenstance

Comment

It's also not nearly the worst fig leaf from church history. It was deemed acceptable for King James (of KJV fame) to engage in pederasty because Holy Writ only condemned men lying with men, not boys.
                  wow
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment