Going to an opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to an opera

Going to see the phantom of the opera today. Excuted.
    sigpic

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    Going to see the phantom of the opera today. Excuted.

Don't go!

Comment

That was supposed to be excited. Haha
      sigpic

Comment

Phantom is not an opera. It's a musical. Do not let opera people know you called it an opera.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say - why they hell would anyone go to an opera. But I then remembered that I saw Tommy, yes I'm quite sophisticated.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I am back. Fun time.
            sigpic

Comment

Handy reference: if they talk and maybe sing a song, it's a play; if they talk and sing, a lot, it's a musical; if all the dialogue is sung, it's an opera.

Which is why, excepting the take at the end (which is awesome, by the way) "What's Opera, Doc" is actually an opera. Sadly, it will never be performed at the Met...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Handy reference: if they talk and maybe sing a song, it's a play; if they talk and sing, a lot, it's a musical; if all the dialogue is sung, it's an opera.

Which is why, excepting the take at the end (which is awesome, by the way) "What's Opera, Doc" is actually an opera. Sadly, it will never be performed at the Met...
                Unfortunately, I've learned that rule falls apart a lot. Les Mis is basically sung through and is considered a musical. RENT, besides being awful, is called a "rock opera" but it tends to hold more stock in musical fan groups than opera. Don't even ask me what qualifies as an "operetta" because who knows? Nobody knows. Opera people have their things and musical people (me) have ours.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                  Unfortunately, I've learned that rule falls apart a lot. Les Mis is basically sung through and is considered a musical. RENT, besides being awful, is called a "rock opera" but it tends to hold more stock in musical fan groups than opera. Don't even ask me what qualifies as an "operetta" because who knows? Nobody knows. Opera people have their things and musical people (me) have ours.

I know - but he has to start somewhere.

Wait, I thought Le Mis had dialogue? I really should watch that sometime.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I know - but he has to start somewhere.

Wait, I thought Le Mis had dialogue? I really should watch that sometime.
                    The movie has dialogue, most of which is converted from sing-talk in the play. The play has virtually no straight talk.

Many operas (so I'm told) have bits of spoken dialogue up to and including soliloquies. I'm not an opera person though so don't quote me on it.

ETA: I have Poor Fool, He Makes me Laugh stuck in my head now. Thanks.
                    Last edited by thewriteranon; 11-20-2016, 08:04 PM.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                      The movie has dialogue, most of which is converted from sing-talk in the play. The play has virtually no straight talk.

Many operas (so I'm told) have bits of spoken dialogue up to and including soliloquies. I'm not an opera person though so don't quote me on it.
                      I love opera - and yes, there are a lot that do have some spoken dialogue, usually as an aside, but very little relative to the work as a whole.

Sing-talk? Isn't that what Rex Harrison used to do in all his musicals?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I love opera - and yes, there are a lot that do have some spoken dialogue, usually as an aside, but very little relative to the work as a whole.

Sing-talk? Isn't that what Rex Harrison used to do in all his musicals?
                        I don't know because I do not know that reference. Sing-talk is when there is little melody or, uh, musicality. They're basically singing just singing sentences.

Par exemple:

https://youtu.be/I8WSysB5vKM

Nobody goes around humming the sing-talk songs in Les Mis (unless you're me). Everyone knows the big numbers, e.g. I Dreamed a Dream and One Day More!

ETA: ear warning the clip contains Russell Crowe Javert.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

You don't know Rex Harrison?!?!?!

My Fair Lady, Doctor Doolittle...

I blame public school education...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You don't know Rex Harrison?!?!?!

My Fair Lady, Doctor Doolittle...

I blame public school education...
                            I went to private school for half my education (and more if you count post-secondary), so that's not it. I know My Fair Lady (and Dolittle but only via the Eddie Murphy remake) but it's not my taste in musicals so Harrison is not a name on the top of my mind. I'm primarily a Sondheim, uh, fan.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Oh, and I watched the video - yes, that's it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment