X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

You knew what I meant.

You just allowed me the opportunity to vent on pet peeve #1007 -- and I took it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

At least Google agrees that it is:

​​​​https://www.google.com/search?q=lithium+mine
      So does this web page about mining:

https://miningdigital.com/top10/5-la...ompanies-world

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Apparently it is a copper mine in South America. Here, OTOH, is a lithium mine in China.

mining-lithium-fotolia_23141047.jpg
        Sooo, much better.
        Then again, Snopes (astounding as it is) actually got it right. The copper mine pictured isn't much different from a lithium mine, so that part of the original meme isn't a problem - as you have shown, a real lithium mine could have been pictured with no change to the comparison.

However, the pictured oil sands site is not typical of oil sands sites, which more commonly resemble those pictured below

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• It is NOT TAR SANDS!

Good grief! People, stop saying that! It is not true!

And,

https://syncrude.ca/our-project/about-syncrude/

Returning land back to nature

Syncrude is committed to returning mined land back to nature. To date, more than 5,600 hectares of land disturbed by Syncrude oil sands mining operations is permanently reclaimed or ready for re-vegetation, including 432 hectares in 2020. We have planted more than 11 million tree and shrub seedlings, including 1.1 million in 2020. In 2008, Syncrude was the first oil sands operator to receive certification from the Alberta government for a reclaimed area. Called Gateway Hill, the area was planted in the early 1980s and is now a healthy forest of deciduous and coniferous trees interspersed by several small wetlands.

https://www.canadaaction.ca/alberta_...amation_photos

What does oil sands reclamation look like? That's a good question, and an important one to show and answer considering that Canada’s oil sands has been the number one target of many special interest and environmental groups looking to de-market Canadian oil by preventing it from getting to world consumers.

One of the ways these groups smear the industry is by using pictures of open pit mines and tailings ponds in various blogs and articles, giving off an impression to the unknowing viewer that is how the entirety of Alberta's oil sands is developed.

It’s no surprise they skip photos of accelerated tailings settling technology, investments in water innovation, minimal disturbance in-situ operations and reclaimed oil sands sites, because such photos show environmentally progressive and responsible development that just doesn’t fit their oppositional narrative, which is devoid of balance.

Unfortunately, out-of-context pictures of zoomed in oil sands mining operations are sometimes even used by media across Canada to represent the oil patch as a whole. This is in addition to international coverage that is more often than not lacking balance and using mining imagery to convey a negative message, which is surprising considering that:

> Only 3% of Alberta’s oil sands land surface area can be mined

> The remaining 97% can only be developed using in-situ methods like steam assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) with minimal land disturbances

> Only 20% of reserves are shallow enough to be extracted via mining operations

> In-situ extraction represents 53% of current oil sands production

You would think a newspaper in Alberta, for example, would use photos for oil sands-related articles which would better represent the majority of potential land area development, like this one of a Cenovus steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) operation at Christina Lake:

Pictures and more in the article.

I wish people would really stop defaming the oil industry in Alberta. Really.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Here. Read this, too.

https://syncrudesustainability.com/2...ment/land.html

Honestly, I am so sick of misrepresentation of Alberta and it's petroleum industry.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Here. Read this, too.

https://syncrudesustainability.com/2...ment/land.html

Honestly, I am so sick of misrepresentation of Alberta and it's petroleum industry.
              One pic was of an oil sands site, the other of a tar sands site - both of which are used to support the automotive industry.

The important point: Syncrude is committed to returning mined land back to nature. The same goes for any responsible mining operation, including lithium. In short, the mining operations don't contribute anything useful to the discussion of the environmental damage resulting from production and use of ICE cars vis a vis Electric. At this stage Electric is marginally better than ICE - in about the same order as -5 degrees is marginally better than -7 degrees to a person exposed to those temperatures. That will change once the sodium/potassium battery is developed and circulating, (likewise, costs of production and purchase of electric vehicles will fall to favourably competitive levels). But that is future; currently the environmental impact is not noticeably different.

Pictures from Alberta just happened to hand - such pictures could be taken almost anywhere.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

One pic was of an oil sands site, the other of a tar sands site - both of which are used to support the automotive industry.

The important point: Syncrude is committed to returning mined land back to nature. The same goes for any responsible mining operation, including lithium. In short, the mining operations don't contribute anything useful to the discussion of the environmental damage resulting from production and use of ICE cars vis a vis Electric. At this stage Electric is marginally better than ICE - in about the same order as -5 degrees is marginally better than -7 degrees to a person exposed to those temperatures. That will change once the sodium/potassium battery is developed and circulating, (likewise, costs of production and purchase of electric vehicles will fall to favourably competitive levels). But that is future; currently the environmental impact is not noticeably different.

Pictures from Alberta just happened to hand - such pictures could be taken almost anywhere.
                There are no tar sands in Alberta. They are oil sands. And actually, they aren't even oil sands. They are bitumen sands.

Comment

There are no tar sands in Alberta. They are oil sands. And actually, they aren't even oil sands. They are bitumen sands.

Essentially different names for the same substance:

Oil sands
                  , tar sands, crude bitumen, or bituminous sands, are a type of unconventional petroleum deposit. Oil sands are either loose sands or partially consolidated sandstone containing a naturally occurring mixture of sand, clay, and water, soaked with bitumen, a dense and extremely viscous form of petroleum.

see also https://www.suncor.com/en-ca/what-we-do/oil-sands

Suncor assumes operatorship of Syncrude https://www.suncor.com › news-and-stories › news-releases

CALGARY, Alberta, Oct. 01, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Suncor today confirmed that it has assumed operatorship of the Syncrude Joint Venture, a critical step towards driving greater efficiencies and competitiveness across all Suncor-operated assets in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Essentially different names for the same substance:

Oil sands
                    , tar sands, crude bitumen, or bituminous sands, are a type of unconventional petroleum deposit. Oil sands are either loose sands or partially consolidated sandstone containing a naturally occurring mixture of sand, clay, and water, soaked with bitumen, a dense and extremely viscous form of petroleum.

see also https://www.suncor.com/en-ca/what-we-do/oil-sands

Suncor assumes operatorship of Syncrude https://www.suncor.com › news-and-stories › news-releases

CALGARY, Alberta, Oct. 01, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Suncor today confirmed that it has assumed operatorship of the Syncrude Joint Venture, a critical step towards driving greater efficiencies and competitiveness across all Suncor-operated assets in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo

Tar sands is used almost as an expletive by those opposed to the Alberta petroleum industry. It is meant to be perjorative and to put a bad perspective on the industry. Please stop using it.

Comment

• 277250664_10161432193914008_6829455233688387160_n.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• waiting-for-how-awesome-biden-posts-mr-bean.jpg
                        For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

The lack of any pro-Biden posts from any of his 80 million voters
                        suggests that Facebook is censoring liberals as well

Comment

• d888305f-736e-40d9-bb6f-49a23057a944.jpg

Comment

• 276137132_10224578298984100_7761814593515396783_n.jpg

Comment

• I'm always still in trouble again

Comment

• Just a reminder

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                PALLETS OF CASH PART II?
                                pallets2.jpg
                                At the same time that we're sanctioning Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, Old Joe has relied on Russia to negotiate
                                a nuclear deal with Iran (in order to get them to ship us oil instead of producing it here) which will shower yet another
                                murderous regime with billions of tax dollars with no guarantee of any change of behaviors.
                                Mikhail Ulyanov, Russia’s chief negotiator, openly bragged that Iran has gotten more than it had expected.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                AAVmxmO.jpg

Comment