This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

When I was young I was plugging in a small radio I had, and my fingers touched the prongs when it was going in to the extension cord. Needless to say that did not feel good. Even though it was only about a second it felt much, much longer.
    When I was younger, I worked in a calibration lab and the power supply I worked with wasn't grounded. I inadvertently touched the frame of it while spinning the voltage knob at the same time, and ZAP! I was really angry and couldn't see how that would happen. I pulled the cord from the wall and found someone had snipped off the grounding pin because it was an ungrounded two-slot outlet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

When I was younger, I worked in a calibration lab and the power supply I worked with wasn't grounded. I inadvertently touched the frame of it while spinning the voltage knob at the same time, and ZAP! I was really angry and couldn't see how that would happen. I pulled the cord from the wall and found someone had snipped off the grounding pin because it was an ungrounded two-slot outlet.
      That.

I don't know how often I've seen that snipped or broken off. It's like people think that it's there just to be an inconvenience.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        That.

I don't know how often I've seen that snipped or broken off. It's like people think that it's there just to be an inconvenience.
        This was particularly frustrating because it was an electronics lab where we calibrated power supplies and meters. I mean, I could more likely expect to see something like that in some old house, but a calibration lab where technicians work? Grrrr

Comment

That.

Most of the time you are OK, since the neutral wire is also grounded (one of the two prongs).

Comment

FWIU the circuit breakers tend to cut it off too quickly.

I was probably six when I was pretending to unlock a secret door in my parent's bathroom by sticking a small key into a socket. Most definitely left my hand stinging and pissed off my father as well.
            One of the joys of AC. DC won't stop your heart, just fry you - and you retain control of your muscles. 600 v DC - I get home at 2.30 am, my wife wakes up and asks "what's burning?" ... "Only me," go back to sleep.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

One of the joys of AC. DC won't stop your heart, just fry you - and you retain control of your muscles. 600 v DC - I get home at 2.30 am, my wife wakes up and asks "what's burning?" ... "Only me," go back to sleep.
              DC will indeed stop your heart. DC will lock up (freeze) your muscles, including your heart. AC will throw you off because it causes your muscles to spasm, which is still bad for your heart because it will "fibrillate" it, and throw off the rhythm and cause a heart attack.

A defibrillator, actually uses DC current to restart your heart, and it can also stop it.
              Last edited by Sparko; 03-15-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

DC will indeed stop your heart. DC will lock up (freeze) your muscles, including your heart. AC will throw you off because it causes your muscles to spasm, which is still bad for your heart because it will "fibrillate" it, and throw off the rhythm and cause a heart attack.

A defibrillator, actually uses DC current to restart your heart, and it can also stop it.
                The next Heavy Metal hit ... Death by Defibrillation

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The next Heavy Metal hit ... Death by Defibrillation
                  Better not try to post a cartoon about that on Facebook!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I was writing from experience, and checking into things to work out why I wasn't dead.

Yes, the muscles spasm with AC - whether it throws you off or prevents you from releasing is pretty much luck of the draw. You'll be thrown off if your hand doesn't lock on the source of the electricity.

Defibrillators work by depolarising the heart, and can be either AC or DC. AC works more quickly, but survival rates are much the same.

The electric chair was developed as a way to demonstrate how much more dangerous AC is than DC:

[box]https://www.thoughtco.com/death-mone...-chair-1991890

Later in 1888, the Edison research facility hired inventor Harold Brown. Brown had recently written a letter to the New York Post describing a fatal accident where a young boy died after touching an exposed telegraph wire running on AC current. Brown and his assistant Doctor Fred Peterson began designing an electric chair for Edison, publicly experimenting with DC voltage to show that it left the poor lab animals tortured but not dead, then testing AC voltage to demonstrate how AC killed swiftly.[/quote]

Note the demonstrations were using 1000 volt supplies.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I was writing from experience, and checking into things to work out why I wasn't dead.

Yes, the muscles spasm with AC - whether it throws you off or prevents you from releasing is pretty much luck of the draw. You'll be thrown off if your hand doesn't lock on the source of the electricity.

Defibrillators work by depolarising the heart, and can be either AC or DC. AC works more quickly, but survival rates are much the same.

The electric chair was developed as a way to demonstrate how much more dangerous AC is than DC:

https://www.thoughtco.com/death-mone...-chair-1991890

Later in 1888, the Edison research facility hired inventor Harold Brown. Brown had recently written a letter to the New York Post describing a fatal accident where a young boy died after touching an exposed telegraph wire running on AC current. Brown and his assistant Doctor Fred Peterson began designing an electric chair for Edison, publicly experimenting with DC voltage to show that it left the poor lab animals tortured but not dead, then testing AC voltage to demonstrate how AC killed swiftly.

Note the demonstrations were using 1000 volt supplies.
                      I actually have a degree in Electronics. DC is just as dangerous as AC. Edison was playing games to market his DC electricity. Generally AC is more dangerous at a given voltage because your body has less impedance (resistance) to AC vs DC. The current is what kills you, whether AC or DC. I am guessing you got lucky touching 600VDC and either had a very high skin resistance, the 600VDC circuit was very low amperage or something kept you from being grounded well to the negative side of the DC circuit. Unlike AC house current which is grounded to an actual earth ground, DC circuits can be "floating" and be isolated from an earth ground. In fact in all battery operated electronics the DC circuits are floating,
                      Last edited by Sparko; 03-15-2022, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I actually have a degree in Electronics. DC is just as dangerous as AC. Edison was playing games to market his DC electricity. Generally AC is more dangerous at a given voltage because your body has less impedance (resistance) to AC vs DC. The current is what kills you, whether AC or DC. I am guessing you got lucky touching 600VDC and either had a very high skin resistance, the 600VDC circuit was very low amperage or something kept you from being grounded well to the negative side of the DC circuit. Unlike AC house current which is grounded to an actual earth ground, DC circuits can be "floating" and be isolated from an earth ground. In fact in all battery operated electronics the DC circuits are floating,
                        The tram conductor was on the radio when it happened, and reported that the driver just screamed and his hair stood on end. 1 KW at the supply end - some wally had wired it so that the input went from the fuse to the knife switch. How much power actually made through the circuit is something I don't know. Enough to burn all the hair off the back of my left hand, and yes, thinking about it, it is safe to assume that the negative side wouldn't have been particularly more than barely conductive.

Also note: I don't know how to calculate the amperage from wattage and voltage.
                        Last edited by tabibito; 03-15-2022, 01:23 PM.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The tram conductor was on the radio when it happened, and reported that the driver just screamed and his hair stood on end. 1 KW at the supply end - some wally had wired it so that the input went from the fuse to the knife switch. How much power actually made through the circuit is something I don't know. Enough to burn all the hair off the back of my left hand, and yes, thinking about it, it is safe to assume that the negative side wouldn't have been particularly more than barely conductive.

Also note: I don't know how to calculate the amperage from wattage and voltage.
                          Amps would be wattage divided by voltage. That would be the maximum amps. So 1KW at 600V could produce 1.666 Amps. But amperage is also dependent on resistance, Amps = Volts/Ohms. So your skin resistance is usually around 10,000 to 100,000 ohms. That doesn't count any clothes or shoe resistance. So 600v /100,000 ohms = .006 amps (6 milliamps) at the higher end. could be lower if you were wearing shoes and the ground went through them. At the lower end it could be 60 milliamps which could probably kill you if it hit your heart just right. Even lower if you were sweating.

Comment

Amps would be wattage divided by voltage. That would be the maximum amps. So 1KW at 600V could produce 1.666 Amps. But amperage is also dependent on resistance, Amps = Volts/Ohms. So your skin resistance is usually around 10,000 to 100,000 ohms. That doesn't count any clothes or shoe resistance. So 600v /100,000 ohms = .006 amps (6 milliamps) at the higher end. could be lower if you were wearing shoes and the ground went through them. At the lower end it could be 60 milliamps which could probably kill you if it hit your heart just right. Even lower if you were sweating.
                            It seems that I was even luckier than the very lucky that I knew about. Input through the right hand, output through the left. Though I suspect that my heart problems started with that incident.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It seems that I was even luckier than the very lucky that I knew about. Input through the right hand, output through the left. Though I suspect that my heart problems started with that incident.
                              FYI - Defibrillators are usually around 600VDC. And you can see the muscle locking I was talking about when they go off. That's what causes the body to arch upward as the muscles in the back lock up and contract. Not sure of the amperage in those. I know they are around 300 joules. which are similar to watts (volt * amps) so I think that works out to 0.5 amps. And they use pads to lower your skin resistance so I would think most of that is delivered to your heart.

Comment

• Bringing the thread back in the direction of being on track

Kerry.jpg

Comment