Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    OAK logs, Raphael? Wow...we use pine here as a rule, I think. What kind of oak?
    My brother had to cut down a tree on his property, so they were free. As a rule I try go for free firewood (but I will never again use poplar....blimming useless as firewood, barely gets warm let alone hot). Not sure what type of oak, but here is the tree on streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/n3XVnd3cAG92

I'll probably end up buying a mix of gum, old man pine and ti-tree to top up the wood bin.
    I would like some macrocarpa but it gets pricey.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      As a rule I try go for free firewood (but I will never again use poplar....blimming useless as firewood, barely gets warm let alone hot). https://goo.gl/maps/n3XVnd3cAG92
      Oh yeah! If you want a fire for your fireplace and don't want the extra heat, poplar is the thing. Actually some varieties are better, but . . .
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Oh yeah! If you want a fire for your fireplace and don't want the extra heat, poplar is the thing. Actually some varieties are better, but . . .
        The poplar in question was on a farm on the Hauraki plains (old peat swamps that have been drained and turned into some of the most intensive dairy farming in the world). It was a very very soft wood. I would have gotten better value for my time if I had just dug up the peat.
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I have burned some poplar, specifically Black Cottonwood and Balsam Poplar with very poor heat released in burning. On the other hand Quaking Aspen. another poplar, was satisfactory as firewood.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment