Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Ccleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I just use microsoft's security essentials for my antivirus.
    I used to, but recently have been using Avast. The free version seems to do just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Country Sparrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Free or paid?
    Free.

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    I would go with Avast antivirus.
    Thank you. I've used the trial version of Avast before.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I use malwarebytes and superantispyware and ccleaner to get rid of adware and crap like that.
    I have the Malwarebytes on my system now. And CCleaner I've used for years. Great program. I'll check out superantispyware. Microsoft Security Essentials has a good reputation? I know it's Microsoft, but I had to ask.

There's also a useful program called Sandboxie that runs all your programs in self contained sandboxes.
    Never heard of it. Makes sense though. I'll check it out.

Thank you all for your help.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Sandboxes act as a protective barrier for your computer. If you run a malicious program by accident, it will be contained inside of the sandbox and unable to affect your system negatively.
    Ah, that's what I thought...

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Which does what?
    Sandboxes act as a protective barrier for your computer. If you run a malicious program by accident, it will be contained inside of the sandbox and unable to affect your system negatively.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    There's also a useful program called Sandboxie that runs all your programs in self contained sandboxes.
    Which does what?

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

I use malwarebytes and superantispyware and ccleaner to get rid of adware and crap like that.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Sparrow View Post
    Of all the antivirus programs out there, which would be the best for a home office computer? Taking suggestions, sincere experienced recommendations.

Winner gets a bottle of internet pretend single malt Scotch.
    I would go with Avast antivirus.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Free or paid?

Leave a comment:

• Country Sparrow
    replied
    Of all the antivirus programs out there, which would be the best for a home office computer? Taking suggestions, sincere experienced recommendations.

Winner gets a bottle of internet pretend single malt Scotch.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Isn't Zone Alarm a firewall? Although, you don't really need AV as long as you have common sense and run a anti-malware scan every few weeks.
    It comes in a whole suite - firewall and anti-virus. But yeah, originally, it was a firewall.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    AVG got tiresome (slowed things down, didn't seem to work as well) and I went back to Zone Alarm before my computer died of unnatural causes....

Isn't Zone Alarm a firewall? Although, you don't really need AV as long as you have common sense and run a anti-malware scan every few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    AVG got tiresome (slowed things down, didn't seem to work as well) and I went back to Zone Alarm before my computer died of unnatural causes....

Shot it between the ports, did ya?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I like ccleaner. But it does leave a process running in your system tray, I guess to try to catch things as they happen. I usually stop it because it seems to slow down my machine a little. I just run the program once in a while after I have had some problems, or if I have recently uninstalled a bunch of stuff and want to make sure the registry is clean.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X