Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Video killed the Tardis star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Stephen Moffat who created the Weeping Angels was a master of nightmare fuel. You want to close your eyes when there's a scary monster? Well here's one that only moves when you close your eyes!

In a later episode, he created a monster (I forget the name, something like Vashta Narada?) that was literally the dark. Which is to say the monster didn't hide in the dark, it was the dark!

And then there were the Silence, which were monsters you would forget about the moment you looked away. In fact, you could have seen one standing behind you just a second ago and forgotten all about it!

Those were all really good episodes. He was also good with body horror like that one character that was "the last human" that was a face on a stretched-out piece of skin. The heads inside robot killer devices made by The Master that were kept in existence by him using the TARDIS to keep from disappearing if they killed their ancestors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Those were all really good episodes. He was also good with body horror like that one character that was "the last human" that was a face on a stretched-out piece of skin. The heads inside robot killer devices made by The Master that were kept in existence by him using the TARDIS to keep from disappearing if they killed their ancestors.
      Ah, well, those last two were the creation of Russel T. Davies who was the show runner through the Eccelston and Tennant run.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Ah, well, those last two were the creation of Russel T. Davies who was the show runner through the Eccelston and Tennant run.
        I tend to get the writers on the show mixed up. Oops.

Comment

Those were all really good episodes. He was also good with body horror like that one character that was "the last human" that was a face on a stretched-out piece of skin.
          I got quite a shock when I saw (sometime in the last month) a skin being prepared for use as parchment on a rack ... first thing I thought of.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I got quite a shock when I saw (sometime in the last month) a skin being prepared for use as parchment on a rack ... first thing I thought of.
            I saw something similar in a game called Graveyard Keeper and also immediately thought of that episode.

Comment

My wife refused to watch it after seeing other episodes with the Weeping Angels. She found them unnerving.
              I never understood what freaked so many folks out about the episodes. Have they never seen any horror movies?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I never understood what freaked so many folks out about the episodes. Have they never seen any horror movies?
                I think the biggest surprise in all the series was "Doctor Who is not a Time Lord" - though he (and she) continues to identify as a Time Lord as far as I know.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• I've never actually seen any of the Doctor Who series, but I know that Peter Davison was one of the Doctor iterations -- though I know him better in his role as Tristan Farnon of All Creatures Great and Small. That said, it was quite amusing to recently watch an episode of All Creatures in which he makes a prank phone call from a Tardis.
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Peter Davison is my favorite Doctor!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                      I've never actually seen any of the Doctor Who series, but I know that Peter Davison was one of the Doctor iterations -- though I know him better in his role as Tristan Farnon of All Creatures Great and Small. That said, it was quite amusing to recently watch an episode of All Creatures in which he makes a prank phone call from a Tardis.
                      Apparently, Peter Davison was also in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as "The Dish of the Day".

Comment

Apparently, Peter Davison was also in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as "The Dish of the Day".

Indeed. His wife at the time, Sandra Dickinson, was playing Tricia McMillian in the series, and he asked to play the Dish of the Day as a joke. The response from the producers was along the lines of, "What?! You can't put Peter Davison in a pig costume!" but he insisted.

Comment

Peter Davison is my favorite Doctor!

For me, the three doctors that followed Baker, were nearly unwatchable and was what led to the cancelling the show.

I don't think I saw McGann's version in the 90s.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

For me, the three doctors that followed Baker, were nearly unwatchable and was what led to the cancelling the show.

I don't think I saw McGann's version in the 90s.
                            The show continued with strong viewing figures for nearly a decade after Tom Baker left, so it wasn't exactly a ratings crash.

As for McGann, he's a bit of an oddity since he only ever did the one TV movie in 1996. Ratings were low, so FOX passed on picking it up as a regular series, although McGann did eventually get to reprise his role onscreen during the 50th anniversary with the mini-episode "The Night of the Doctor" where he also got his regeneration scene.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X