Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I Paid Less than $2.50 a gallon for gasoline!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Yeah, metric's not difficult to learn or use - it's just different, and people tend not to like different.
    The biggest problem is that we have "estimates" of how big a foot, yard, mile, etc is (even though we are often wrong) and we don't have mental images of the metric equivalent. So if someone says "that's 50 miles away" we kinda know how far that is. But if they say "that's 50km away" we draw a blank or start trying to convert it into miles.

It's kind of like learning a new language. You have to give up "translating" it and just learn to think in the new language or system.

Comment

Yeah, metric's not difficult to learn or use - it's just different, and people tend not to like different.
      I'm a boy. Girls are different. I like girls.

(but, in this society, that makes me sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, phobophobic, biased, and all kinds of bad things )
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        The biggest problem is that we have "estimates" of how big a foot, yard, mile, etc is (even though we are often wrong) and we don't have mental images of the metric equivalent. So if someone says "that's 50 miles away" we kinda know how far that is. But if they say "that's 50km away" we draw a blank or start trying to convert it into miles.

It's kind of like learning a new language. You have to give up "translating" it and just learn to think in the new language or system.
        Years ago, I dabbled a lot in radio, and lengths of antenna were referenced in meters, not feet and inches, so....

I seem to remember some significant failures with our space program when we started working with the internationals, and some used metric and others used 'standard' or English.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I'm a boy. Girls are different. I like girls.
          You're not a boy. Boys tend to think girls have cooties.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah, but it wouldn't take all THAT long to learn new estimates. Once you drive 50 km a few times, it's second nature. It's all the stuff we build in the US system that's the real difficulty.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You're not a boy. Boys tend to think girls have cooties.
              I did, quite honestly, laugh out loud - scared SpongeBob, my grandson.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                1.63 per liter
                6.26 per gallon
                Show off.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Anyone remember this one??

Vaguely - in Eighth Grade I don't think I cared about measures other than cups and teaspoons.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think it had a lot to do with the 'let's change everything at once' plan - metric recipes were a disaster. Nothing related to the tools on hand - and no one was going to buy a new stove just to be able to cook out of the stupid recipe book.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      I think it had a lot to do with the 'let's change everything at once' plan - metric recipes were a disaster. Nothing related to the tools on hand - and no one was going to buy a new stove just to be able to cook out of the stupid recipe book.
                      Yeah, something just don't change because it would be too inconvenient. Isn't the standard railroad gage still based on the width of a Roman mule?
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, something just don't change because it would be too inconvenient. Isn't the standard railroad gage still based on the width of a Roman mule?
                        I don't think so - gage changed in the early days of RR. There are a few track laid at the old gage but I think the standard was based on something else.

But I'm not sure.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Until shortly after the War of Northern Aggression, there were three railroad gauges in the US. Because the North won the war, and rebuilt the railways of the South, the "standard" became what the North was using - which was adopted from the British who, for a short period of time, led us in railway technology.

Comment

Until shortly after the War of Northern Aggression, there were three railroad gauges in the US. Because the North won the war, and rebuilt the railways of the South, the "standard" became what the North was using - which was adopted from the British who, for a short period of time, led us in railway technology.
                            ...where the best places to lay rail would've been the nice, straight Roman roads.
                            sigpic

Comment

...where the best places to lay rail would've been the nice, straight Roman roads.
                              Roman-Road-printable-251x300.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23534[/ATTACH]
                                That's Romans, not Roman.
                                sigpic

Comment