Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The nature and history of Executive Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh. And if they're like most cattle, they mosie along most of the time, but will step right lively when they think it's feeding time.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
      Heh. And if they're like most cattle, they mosie along most of the time, but will step right lively when they think it's feeding time.
      yeah, hence the old rusty ford ranger mentioned in a prior post.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Never implied that, lao - that's a bit disingenuous....
        So you're not saying those numbers don't count.

but that doesn't change the fact that WITHIN those numbers there can be ONE event that makes a significant impact.
        Instead, you're saying those numbers don't count.

And, I'm not arguing... I'm ASKING.
        You are too arguing, CP ... but with yourself, it seems.

When you or your evil twin clear the Thunderdome, the victor might want to take a stroll over by here and then over by here, those being links to Obama's and Bush the Lesser's EOs, respectively.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          So you're not saying those numbers don't count.
          yes

Instead, you're saying those numbers don't count.
          No

You are too arguing, CP

AM NOT!!!

When you or your evil twin clear the Thunderdome, the victor might want to take a stroll over by here and then over by here, those being links to Obama's and Bush the Lesser's EOs, respectively.

As ever, Jesse
          I am concerned that the current administration is moving in a direction that is not reflected in "the numbers", lao. Obama is a different breed of cat. PERIOD.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Obama is a different breed of cat. PERIOD.
            Says who? And with what evidence?

Comment

Says who? And with what evidence?
              He has clearly announced his intention to go around congress. You missed that? The whole "I have a pen and a phone" thing?

Comment

He has clearly announced his intention to go around congress. You missed that? The whole "I have a pen and a phone" thing?
                Um ... no. He has clearly announced his intentions to do what he can within the scope of his authority. He's made that quite clear ... but somehow the folks on the right keep missing that part.

Comment

Um ... no. He has clearly announced his intentions to do what he can within the scope of his authority.
                  ummmm.. no... within the scope of his authority as HE SEES IT

He's made that quite clear ... but somehow the folks on the right keep missing that part.
                  And somehow the folks on the left keep falling for his .. um... "misstatements". PERIOD.

Comment

ummmm.. no... within the scope of his authority as HE SEES IT
                    Point me out anything--_ANYTHING_--where he's exceeded his authority.

And somehow the folks on the left keep falling for his .. um... "misstatements". PERIOD.
                    Seems to me there has been a lot more spin from the right about "mis-statements" than actual mis-statements. Obama's not perfect, to be sure, but when people only look at the bad things, it's easy to get a very distorted understanding of the truth.

Comment

He has clearly announced his intention to go around congress.
                      As I linked earlier, he not only announced his intention to go around congress, he did, in fact, go around congress.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Obama's not perfect
                        That's an understatement when talking about a guy who goes to the mat to protect a woman's right to vacuum her unborn child's brains out.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Point me out anything--_ANYTHING_--where he's exceeded his authority.
                          JONATHAN TURLEY: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. The danger is quite severe. The problem with what the president is doing is that he's not simply posing a danger to the constitutional system. He's becoming the very danger the Constitution was designed to avoid. That is the concentration of power in every single branch.

This Newtonian orbit that the three branches exist in is a delicate one but it is designed to prevent this type of concentration. There is two trends going on which should be of equal concern to all members of Congress. One is that we have had the radical expansion of presidential powers under both President Bush and President Obama. We have what many once called an imperial presidency model of largely unchecked authority. And with that trend we also have the continued rise of this fourth branch. We have agencies that are quite large that issue regulations. The Supreme Court said recently that agencies could actually define their own or interpret their own jurisdiction. (House hearing, December 3, 2013)

Seems to me there has been a lot more spin from the right about "mis-statements" than actual mis-statements. Obama's not perfect, to be sure, but when people only look at the bad things, it's easy to get a very distorted understanding of the truth.
                          Some of the liberals are beginning to realize that Obama is setting a dangerous precedent -- and that a possible subsequent Republican president may continue the trend.

Comment

One is that we have had the radical expansion of presidential powers under both President Bush and President Obama.
                            Specifics, CP, not generalities. Where has President Obama overstepped his authority? (And I admit, I'd much rather hear your thoughts than quotes from others.)

Also, as a favor to me--no videos, please. I don't watch them.

Comment

Specifics, CP, not generalities. Where has President Obama overstepped his authority? (And I admit, I'd much rather hear your thoughts than quotes from others.)
                              For starters, every unilateral delay in enforcing Obamacare. Where does the president have the power to temporarily suspend laws?

Second, his Executive Order end-around the DREAM Act he didn't get (and this after he claimed he didn't have the power to do that).
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Also, as a favor to me--no videos, please. I don't watch them.
                                It was a summary of Obama blasting Bush for abusing the Constitution by issuing executive orders. He was complaining about George Bush bringing "more and more power into the Executive Branch", and claiming that's what he intends to reverse.

Comment