Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abortion derail from the Active Shooter thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
    That's as irrelevant as his opinion on circumcision or sports or the Eucharist. You are simply making a categorical mistake.
    I see.... so, just as long as you can get *some* Christian to agree with you on ... um.... on your goofy opinion....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Jesus often went off alone to pray. Or took time to eat. Or teach. Instead of doing humanitarian work. Bad Jesus

That comment is simply ridiculous. Feeding the poor without advocating for the other types of helplessness (such as the destruction of members of our species called abortion) is worthless.
      That's not the point. The point is that there are some Christians who spend their free time complaining about gay marriage, birth control, and abortion, and they think that this is what god wants, when Jesus didn't mention anything about any of this. They don't support alleviating poverty and corruption and taking care of sick, because those issues suck up all their time. In other words, they should get their priorities in check.
      Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I see.... so, just as long as you can get *some* Christian to agree with you on ... um.... on your goofy opinion....
        Jr. High School logic and responses once again. I guess I should expect that every time you're wrong and don't want to admit it.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

That's not the point.
          That's completely the point. Not everyone can do everything. Some are called to preach, some to teach, some to help, some to administer, etc.

The point is that there are some Christians who spend their free time complaining about gay marriage, birth control, and abortion, and they think that this is what god wants, when Jesus didn't mention anything about any of this.
          Well, considering Jesus is God, and God is the author of the Torah... He sure did say plenty about the general subjects. I see nothing wrong with doing what you can in the area God called you. Fighting for biblical morality isn't a waste of time, nor is it complaining.

They don't support alleviating poverty and corruption and taking care of sick, because those issues suck up all their time. In other words, they should get their priorities in check.
          What makes one a higher priority than the other? First off, we are never told to "alleviate poverty". In fact, Jesus told His Disciples "you will always have the poor". Jesus was not interested in corrupt secular politicians in the least bit, so that isn't even relevant. And not everyone is capable of "taking care of the sick", but praying for the sick is one way He commanded that we care for them, so that can be covered too.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

but praying for the sick is one way He commanded that we care for them ...
            The most profoundly useless strategy for helping people ever devised. Why do you think prayers are endlessly repeated?

Comment

That's completely the point. Not everyone can do everything. Some are called to preach, some to teach, some to help, some to administer, etc.
              Jesus had super powers, he could alleviate poverty in the blink of an eye. So your Jesus example is off.

Well, considering Jesus is God, and God is the author of the Torah... He sure did say plenty about the general subjects. I see nothing wrong with doing what you can in the area God called you. Fighting for biblical morality isn't a waste of time, nor is it complaining.
              That's the point. It is a huge waste of time and it is harmful. Fighting against condom use and birth control leads to more diseases and unwanted pregnancies, which increases world suffering. It's a matter of what you want to emphasize. Imagine a Christian spending his days preaching against eating shellfish, or against sorcerers. It's a total waste of time when we've got major world problems causing massive suffering.

What makes one a higher priority than the other? First off, we are never told to "alleviate poverty". In fact, Jesus told His Disciples "you will always have the poor". Jesus was not interested in corrupt secular politicians in the least bit, so that isn't even relevant. And not everyone is capable of "taking care of the sick", but praying for the sick is one way He commanded that we care for them, so that can be covered too.
              One way to quantify the priority is to see which problem causes more suffering. If Jesus wasn't for alleviating poverty, all the worst for him. How do you explain this? Praying for the sick doesn't do anything for them, and no good evidence has been produced to show this. In fact, the largest test on this showed that those prayed for did worse than those not prayed for. That's another reason why religion harms, it encourages ineffective solutions to problems.

Comment

One way to quantify the priority is to see which problem causes more suffering. If Jesus wasn't for alleviating poverty, all the worst for him. How do you explain this? Praying for the sick doesn't do anything for them, and no good evidence has been produced to show this. In fact, the largest test on this showed that those prayed for did worse than those not prayed for. That's another reason why religion harms, it encourages ineffective solutions to problems.
                fallacious argument of outrage noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  The most profoundly useless strategy for helping people ever devised. Why do you think prayers are endlessly repeated?
                  Because there will always be hardheads like you.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Christians:

Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion! Abortion!

Meanwhile:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11803[/ATTACH]
                    They don't care. This brand of Christianity is is "pro-birth", NOT "pro-life". Their attitude towards welfare and free health care for the poor says it all.

Comment

Even the Jews of His day were often surprised - and highly offended - what he did and taught. There are so many examples of Jesus not going along with "His fellow Jews", as Tazzy put it. In just the example of the woman at the well, Jesus parted in numerous ways from what "His fellow Jews" would have done.
                      assume that he would not have gone along with them regarding the moment at which one becomes human...namely at birth. Gotcha!

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I gave reasons. You're just too buttdumb stupid to understand.
                      BTW: Gratuitous insults are not an effective debating tactic; most of us learn this in high school.

Comment

• Not "some" examples - many! It seemed to be pretty common, which is part of the reason they wanted Him DEAD!

you feel free to assume that he would not have gone along with them regarding the moment at which one becomes human...namely at birth. Gotcha!
                        You have yet to prove that was the prevailing thought at the time, and that Jesus was aware of it.

BTW: Gratuitous insults are not an effective debating tactic; most of us learn this in high school.
                        So stop!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          They don't care. This brand of Christianity is is "pro-birth", NOT "pro-life".
                          What an ignorant, untrue and misleading statement.

Their attitude towards welfare and free health care for the poor says it all.
                          Did you miss your welfare check again?

Comment

Jr. High School logic and responses once again. I guess I should expect that every time you're wrong and don't want to admit it.
                            Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Comment

Not "some" examples - many! It seemed to be pretty common, which is part of the reason they wanted Him DEAD!
                              Whether common or otherwise, you feel free to merely assume Jesus would not you feel entitled to persecute those who disagree with you.

You have yet to prove that was the prevailing thought at the time,
                              In the Talmudic Period, when Jesus was supposedly around, abortion was not considered a transgression unless the fetus was viable. The law distinguished between a fetus which has begun to emerge into the world, and therefore human,
                              and that Jesus was aware of it.
                              Are you suggesting that the alleged Messiah as predicted in Jewish scripture was not aware of prevailing Jewish thinking at the time?

So stop!
                              Gratuitous insults are not my style.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                In the Talmudic Period, when Jesus was supposedly around, abortion was not considered a transgression unless the fetus was viable. The law distinguished between a fetus which has begun to emerge into the world, and therefore human,

oooh...thats probably a bad example.
                                I might have worked if you were just citing historical precedent, but then you had to go and name-drop Jesus, as if implying, if something was law when Jesus was around, it must have been ok, ....

however

first, John the Baptist said:
                                Matthew 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

And Jesus preaching a tirade against the people of that time recorded in:
                                Matthew 11:20-24
                                20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:
                                21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
                                22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
                                23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
                                24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

and another longer tirade by Jesus recorded in:
                                Matthew 12:34-45
                                34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
                                35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
                                36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
                                37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
                                39 But he answered and said unto them
                                , An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
                                40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
                                41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
                                42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
                                43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
                                44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
                                45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Jesus said again:
                                Matthew 16:3-4
                                3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowering. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
                                4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas.
                                And he left them, and departed.

and if you still think Jesus was cool with what was going on during that time, look how disappointed He was even with His own disciples:
                                Matthew 17:14-20
                                14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
                                15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
                                16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
                                17 Then Jesus answered and said,
                                O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
                                18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
                                19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
                                20 And Jesus said unto them,
                                Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

and heres some more Jesus condemnation of the generation of vipers:
                                Matthew 23:33-36
                                33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
                                34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
                                35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
                                36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

and in Mark Jesus's dismissal of that time period's leaders, the Pharisees (the law):
                                Mark 8:11-12
                                11 And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him.
                                12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith,
                                Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

and the condemnations recorded in Matthew are recorded again in the other two synoptic gospels
                                Last edited by jordanriver; 12-11-2015, 01:36 AM.
                                To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment