Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You didn't make your case at all - but go right ahead and declare otherwise. Reality is optional in your world, huh?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      You didn't make your case at all - but go right ahead and declare otherwise. Reality is optional in your world, huh?
      Sam didn't?

Of all the people on this forum you're accusing SAM of not making his case?

I know it sucks to be wrong, but this bullheadedness does not become you. You backed the wrong horse, deal with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Cow Poke has continued to argue exactly what I said he was arguing, that the kid intended to build a "movie bomb."
        Which in NO way indicates he was trying to scare a bunch of people. I think, as I have said numerous times, he was just doing it for attention.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
          Sam didn't?

I know it sucks to be wrong, but this bullheadedness does not become you. You backed the wrong horse, deal with it.
          Sam did not make his case - that CP made a supposition is NOT a categorical and it's 32 pages too late to support Sam's contention - let alone his hysteria.

Sam could NOT produce a single quote, when he tried, that proved his case. Not one.

Reality doesn't agree with you.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Setting an alarm that would go off in the middle of class would appear to be a deliberate act of truancy on the kid's part, yes?
            I just finished giving a final. As usual, half a dozen cell phones went off inside their bags where I'd made them stow them away. I don't think he set the alarm any more than they did. But if he did, while that would be a deliberate act of something or other, it wouldn't be an act of truancy, unless you're familiar with an obscure meaning that escapes me.

Which describes about one poster in this thread. I haven't been keeping as close a tab as usual on my typical commentary sites, but I haven't seen any agreement that the kid's arrest was justifiable. Of course there are racists and Islamophobes out there; however, it's not nearly the cornerstone of conservatism that ya'll want to make it out to be (nor is the opposite end of the political spectrum free from such sentiments).
            Rest assured that my definition of conservatism excludes all forms of racism and religious bigotry, and not just from its cornerstones. I'm a moderate myself, but when I lean, I lean conservative. It's unfortunate, from my point of view, that it's prevalent enough within today's Republican party to elevate Trump, a poster child for both, backgrounded with blatant misogyny, to the top of the current polls.

I'd love to see a conservative party as part of the national debate again.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              I just finished giving a final. As usual, half a dozen cell phones went off inside their bags where I'd made them stow them away. I don't think he set the alarm any more than they did. But if he did, while that would be a deliberate act of something or other, it wouldn't be an act of truancy, unless you're familiar with an obscure meaning that escapes me.
              My experience in traffic court confirms this. Usually within minutes of the judge telling everyone to turn off their cell phones one starts ringing.

The one factor to consider though is the family. Considering the father's avowed support for sharia law, support for CAIR and their mission to find "Islamophobia" around every corner, it is not completely inconceivable that this was a stunt.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Sam did not make his case - that CP made a supposition is NOT a categorical and it's 32 pages too late to support Sam's contention - let alone his hysteria.

Sam could NOT produce a single quote, when he tried, that proved his case. Not one.

Reality doesn't agree with you.
                Six minutes prior ...

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Cow Poke has continued to argue exactly what I said he was arguing, that the kid intended to build a "movie bomb."

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Which in NO way indicates he was trying to scare a bunch of people. I think, as I have said numerous times, he was just doing it for attention.
                At the risk of repeating myself, I think I've proven my point.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I just finished giving a final. As usual, half a dozen cell phones went off inside their bags where I'd made them stow them away. I don't think he set the alarm any more than they did.
                    They didn't "invent" their phones, and bring them to school with the primary purpose of showing them off to a teacher.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      My experience in traffic court confirms this. Usually within minutes of the judge telling everyone to turn off their cell phones one starts ringing.

The one factor to consider though is the family. Considering the father's avowed support for sharia law, support for CAIR and their mission to find "Islamophobia" around every corner, it is not completely inconceivable that this was a stunt.
                      That there is what's known as "context", which one of the posters blasted as "adding useless information in a drastic attempt...... blah blah blah"

Comment

• It's just a coincidence that the kid's father is a Muslim agitator. No, really.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Six minutes prior ...

At the risk of repeating myself, I think I've proven my point.
                          Your supposition is incorrect.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I just finished giving a final. As usual, half a dozen cell phones went off inside their bags where I'd made them stow them away. I don't think he set the alarm any more than they did.
                            Cell phones =/= clocks. People do receive phone calls and texts at random times, after all.
                            But if he did, while that would be a deliberate act of something or other, it wouldn't be an act of truancy, unless you're familiar with an obscure meaning that escapes me.
                            Sorry, I whiffed badly on that one. Usually, I look things up if I'm uncertain, but didn't have the time then.
                            Rest assured that my definition of conservatism excludes all forms of racism and religious bigotry, and not just from its cornerstones.
                            Good to know. I see the two equated all too often.
                            I'm a moderate myself, but when I lean, I lean conservative. It's unfortunate, from my point of view, that it's prevalent enough within today's Republican party to elevate Trump, a poster child for both, backgrounded with blatant misogyny, to the top of the current polls.
                            I don't think Trump is riding those planks to popularity, but general dissatisfaction with the way things are in Washington and in the party. I can only hope that his candidacy will crash and burn as crunch time approaches. He is the only Republican presidential candidate I can think of in recent memory whom I could not in good conscience vote for (I do occasionally cross party lines down-ticket).
                            I'd love to see a conservative party as part of the national debate again.
                            Me too.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Do you all really not see the point of mentioning the phones going off when the people with them don't want them to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                They didn't "invent" their phones, and bring them to school with the primary purpose of showing them off to a teacher.
                                Are ya sure you don't want to count CP in with the obvious other one, OBP? Cause frankly, I can't see much difference. Well, other than the fact CP shows evidence of a sense of humor from time to time, something I've never seen from MM.

And CP, since I'm responding to this, let me just say ... don't bother. You hate muslims. We get it already. You hate Obama. We get that too. And ya think he might even be a muslim. Everybody's got the right to some crazy. But ya don't have the right to keep bashing on a 9th grader. You're 60 years old, for crissakes. Pick on somebody your own size.

Comment