Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, who was it that was castigating us for believing that the "invention" was a deconstructed clock, simply transferred to the metal pencil case? I mean, after all, Sam believes that, too! (now)
    When I was around that age, I took apart and old computer and reassembled it in a box. My dad wasn't too pleased about that and I had to put it back in the original case, but it really isn't too difficult to take apart and reassemble something in a new box.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Only 10? Back in the pre-9/11 world when I use to make a special, um, "firecracker" each New Years and Independence Day my favorite part was figuring out new ways to trigger detonating the thing. I would rotate between electrical, chemical and mechanical methods just for the added challenge.
      One of my favorites was separating the contacts with an ice cube, so, as the ice cube melted...... and, of course, part of the "trigger" mechanism totally disappears!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        I've been shocked by quite a few different voltages and wattage's and I find AC ones to be the more painful of the two (plus their tendency to grab and hold doesn't help). You wouldn't want to be part of the main outgoing line of one of these generators though; they're 28.75 kilowatts per phase.
        But the AC frequency makes a difference, dunnit?

Comment

I almost cracked my sternum once over a shock. But it wasn't me who got shocked. I was looking over a guys shoulder as he reached into the back of a TV, telling him don't do that, and he got zapped, causing his arm to fly back, his elbow hitting me right in the chest bone. YEEEEEOOOOOCH!
          So a capacitor ended up discharging?

I once took apart a disposable camera and ended up getting shocked by the capacitor discharging for the flash. Wasn't all that fun.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
            But the AC frequency makes a difference, dunnit?
            I'm sure it does, but I doubt a 3 phase generator, with that kind of output, would matter much.
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• This thread has been very educational. Now we understand a lot of things about those of you with permanently frizzed hair...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Like I said before, the terrorists won in the end.

If kids can't bring any kind of electronic device without it being seen as a bomb, then the terrorists really did get exactly what they want - everybody in the US living in an irrational fear, based on ignorance and stereotypes. This is not a matter of ' See something, say something' it's a case of people in general just assuming that Arabic people - including the children - are always up to no good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                  If kids can't bring any kind of electronic device without it being seen as a bomb,
                  Well, not ANY kind of electronic device - just those that look like they might be a bomb.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    This thread has been very educational. Now we understand a lot of things about those of you with permanently frizzed hair...

My hair has only been frizzed on a few occasions and that is mostly due to a static charge and dry air (growing up in a desert does that).
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Like I said before, the terrorists won in the end.

If kids can't bring any kind of electronic device without it being seen as a bomb, then the terrorists really did get exactly what they want - everybody in the US living in an irrational fear, based on ignorance and stereotypes. This is not a matter of ' See something, say something' it's a case of people in general just assuming that Arabic people - including the children - are always up to no good.
                      You're just being silly now.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        You're just being silly now.
                        Yeah, I forgot that anyone that disagrees with conservative majority here is 'silly' - along with a multitude of other names.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot that anyone that disagrees with conservative majority here is 'silly' - along with a multitude of other names.
                          Need a tissue?

Comment

Well, not ANY kind of electronic device - just those that look like they might be a bomb.
                            Which is just about all of them based on the reasoning here.

Comment

Which is just about all of them based on the reasoning here.
                              wow

Comment

Need a tissue?
                                Ouch! Damn, that one burned.

Comment