Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, power (watts) is amps (current) times volts. So you can have a really high voltage (50,000) and extremely low amperage (Van De Graaff) and get nothing more than a mild shock.

I was demonstrating this one day in class, and had the VDGG charging up, intending to point my finger at it and direct the lightening. While speaking to the class, I bent over to pick up the Ohms Law chart, and a big blue spark smacked me in the tip of my nose. YEEEEEEOOOOOOOCHHHHHH!!!!! (But here I am, safe and sane* as ever)

So I'm gonna stick with it's the amps that kill ya. 100 mA can stop your heart - 2 A can kill you easily.

*[looking around to see if Rogue is here]
    mA = miliamps. Right?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      mA = miliamps. Right?
      keereck
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, power (watts) is amps (current) times volts. So you can have a really high voltage (50,000) and extremely low amperage (Van De Graaff) and get nothing more than a mild shock.

I was demonstrating this one day in class, and had the VDGG charging up, intending to point my finger at it and direct the lightening. While speaking to the class, I bent over to pick up the Ohms Law chart, and a big blue spark smacked me in the tip of my nose. YEEEEEEOOOOOOOCHHHHHH!!!!! (But here I am, safe and sane* as ever)

So I'm gonna stick with it's the amps that kill ya. 100 mA can stop your heart - 2 A can kill you easily.

Yep, I know dat.

The old socks-on-a-carpet-in-winter-and-a-metal-doorknob-trick.

As long as you have sufficient voltage to push it.

That's why I said wattage.

3 KW can blow your head clean off.

As you probably also know, a Coulomb of net charge is REALLY big.
        Last edited by klaus54; 09-22-2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Huh? I was out hooking up my old defibrillator to a series of old car batteries to see if I could increase the power? Want to help me test it out?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Huh? I was out hooking up my old defibrillator to a series of old car batteries to see if I could increase the power? Want to help me test it out?
            Remember what we practiced CP
            The answer is 'no!'
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Reading the last few pages the amount of misinformation, bad arguments and projection is unbelievable and you should be ashamed of yourselves for so completely failing on not only a moral level, but a rhetorical one

Comment

• So, Sam.... at the terrible risk of getting back on topic....

Do you deny that the "guts" of Ahmed's clock most likely came from a commercially manufactured alarm clock?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                  Reading the last few pages the amount of misinformation, bad arguments and projection is unbelievable and you should be ashamed of yourselves for so completely failing on not only a moral level, but a rhetorical one
                  Try reading with your eyes open.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

keereck
                    Where were you when I was trying to find that a few years back? I was writing about a character with electrical powers and had a heck of a time finding the information I needed.

Did find a really good article on the basics of electricity, though!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, Sam.... at the terrible risk of getting back on topic....

Do you deny that the "guts" of Ahmed's clock most likely came from a commercially manufactured alarm clock?

We're in the middle of a spamming derail here!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Surely the burden of proof is on the accuser right?
                        So those accusing a 14 year old kid of intentionally making some kind of "fake bomb" or "movie bomb" or "hollywood bomb" ought to prove that? Right? Would you say that to his face?

Would you appreciate it if someone made that kind of accusation against you and/or your kid(s)?

Comment

We're in the middle of a spamming derail here!
                          I see that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                            Surely the burden of proof is on the accuser right?
                            So those accusing a 14 year old kid of intentionally making some kind of "fake bomb" or "movie bomb" or "hollywood bomb" ought to prove that? Right?
                            A) I'm not accusing him, I'm stating an opinion
                            2) How could you prove that without an admission from him?

Would you say that to his face?
                            Yes, I would ask the series of questions I have asked in this thread.

Would you appreciate it if someone made that kind of accusation against you and/or your kid(s)?
                            If my kid did that and took it to school, I'd apply the board of education to his seat of learning.

Comment

Try reading with your eyes open.
                              Are you intentionally going all Karl Rove in your sad, incomplete defense of the atrocious nonsense yourbrethren have been arguing in this thread or do you just not realize the level of groupthink you've begun to engage in?

Is this, a thread where people are trying to make the arrest of a 14 year old boy not as monstrous as it truly is, the hill you want your integrity to die on?

Comment

So, Sam.... at the terrible risk of getting back on topic....

It's obvious from the pictures of the circuit boards and digital display that none of this was designed and built by Ahmed. Anyone can clearly see the printing of circuit board traces and know that it's just the guts of an old clock that's been removed from the case. The traces on the circuit board are too uniform, the ribbon cable connector that runs from the pcb (printed circuit board) to the Digital display all of that points to this. also, anyone who's made a "homemade" circuit board knows they never come out looking that good. I just don't believe it's made by him...must less designed. FYI, my degree is in Electronics, and I spent 20+ years as a field and bench technician before ending up in the IT field.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment