Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    I think the point, now, is too see how many side issues, weird comparisons and claims of "I'm done with you, Sam" we can get to before people stop trying to defend the indefensible simply because, for some reason, a 14 year old nerd being arrested for bringing a project to school isn't something that conservatives can get the outrage machine behind when the kids brown
    Exactly what is "indefensible"?

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
      Exactly what is "indefensible"?
      Haven't you been following along? It's pretty much every part after the school called the police, arguably earlier. Broadly speaking, the conservatives response here has been trying to find excuses for the school and police missteps. Excuses that are often ludicrous when they aren't bafflingly irrelevant. There was a point in time before the school and cops screwed up here, but it passed pretty quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        You haven't posted any facts that refute the initial and main story. So either this is referencing the

tragically hilarious reaction from an increasing number of Conservatives or ...

Such a drama queen!

Here is a compilation of kitten videos, Sam. They're supposed to help you calm down.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think the point, now, is too see how many side issues, weird comparisons and claims of "I'm done with you, Sam" we can get to before people stop trying to defend the indefensible simply because, for some reason, a 14 year old nerd being arrested for bringing a project to school isn't something that conservatives can get the outrage machine behind when the kids brown
          It's out of the bag for good, I'm sure. Some guy on Facebook just asserted:

It was shown to several teachers until the desired response was achieved. Then he played coy with the faculty and authorities to escalate the situation. The photo you see everywhere of him in handcuffs was staged by his father and taken by his sister.
          I was walking up from the meadow, thinking about this latest quick descent into crankery, and I decided that if I were a cabal of advertisers looking for a way to build an audience susceptible to hocus-pocus products with minimal expense and effort, it'd be hard to do better than the Huckabee/Cruz/Palin/Trump crowd. In that sense alone, Limbaugh and his outfit are geniuses for figuring out how to get the fish in the barrel.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Haven't you been following along? It's pretty much every part after the school called the police, arguably earlier. Broadly speaking, the conservatives response here has been trying to find excuses for the school and police missteps. Excuses that are often ludicrous when they aren't bafflingly irrelevant. There was a point in time before the school and cops screwed up here, but it passed pretty quickly.
            And the Libs have been pushing REALLY hard to defend the kid, the PC media, and the action of the Prez.

Which is strange in view of the extreme treatment in previous cases -- the PopTart incident for example.

Can you say narrow-minded and agendized?

BTW, I really don't care what a dope like you thinks.

I was just confused at your biased "indefensible" crack.

Btw: It appears your opposition has mounted a very solid defense.

Comment

And the Libs have been pushing REALLY hard to defend the kid, the PC media, and the action of the Prez.

Which is strange in view of the extreme treatment in previous cases -- the PopTart incident for example.

This is a lovely pile of non sequiturs and PRATTs (Sam has thoroughly shown how the pop tart case is nothing like this)

Feel free to take any one of your points and expand them into something worth replying to. I don't think you can since better posters than you aren't able to approach this sensibly, but you can probably do better than "screw it, I'm posting cat videos"

Probably

Comment

It's out of the bag for good, I'm sure. Some guy on Facebook just asserted:

I was walking up from the meadow, thinking about this latest quick descent into crankery, and I decided that if I were a cabal of advertisers looking for a way to build an audience susceptible to hocus-pocus products with minimal expense and effort, it'd be hard to do better than the Huckabee/Cruz/Palin/Trump crowd. In that sense alone, Limbaugh and his outfit are geniuses for figuring out how to get the fish in the barrel.
                I'd have said you were being ridiculous, but then I scrolled down.

Comment

Haven't you been following along? It's pretty much every part after the school called the police, arguably earlier. Broadly speaking, the conservatives response here has been trying to find excuses for the school and police missteps.
                  Try going back and reading the thread for content, this time without your ideological filter applied. "Broadly speaking," you're only seeing what you want to see. Ironic, considering your opening admonition.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It is because the kid in question is a minority. If he wasn't, they could care less (from what I saw in the pictures in the news story, I wouldn't of made the mistake of it being a bomb, but most people don't know electronics as well as I do either).
                    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-21-2015, 08:08 PM.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

If I built a 3D printer from scratch and tried to carry into the White House unannounced, I imagine I'd get a negative reaction. Is the point that any student bringing an electronics project to show his engineering teacher should be given the same scrutiny as if they were walking into the White House?

... 'cause that's a fairly ridiculous standard.

***And to be clear, I haven't seen many people arguing that the school should have taken no action. What the debate is about here is whether the school calling the police and the police arresting the kid was appropriate or, conversely, egregious.***
                      Last edited by rogue06; 09-21-2015, 08:15 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        That's why I also added the part about going to school as well -- which you ignored.

What do you think would have happened if he brought his clock to school the day that the governor or any other big wig was visiting? Would his security simply patted him on the head and told him to be on his way when they found his ticking electric clock and the only thing he would say is it's a clock when they asked questions? Or do you think that he would have been detained?
                        It's the exact same implicit premise: that we should treat everyday matters the same as we treat matters of heightened security. If a teenager were to leave his backpack in front of a locker when the president or governor was visiting, it would naturally be a much bigger problem than if a teenager were to leave his backpack in front of a locker on a normal school day. But we're not about to start treating every wayward backpack as a potential bomb at schools.

I don't know how the kid was supposed to answer questions more thoroughly than "It's a clock" if the questions were along the lines of "So you tried to build a bomb?" You said before that you believed the school overreacted but it sounds like you're now implying the kid is to blame for his arrest by not sufficiently answering the police officers' questions.
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Added a good bit to my post while you were responding.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            It is because the kid in question is a minority. If he wasn't, they could care less (from what I saw in the pictures in the news story, I wouldn't of made the mistake of it being a bomb, but most people don't know electronics as well as I do either).
                            Well, the ticking junk box looks more like a bomb (to the uninitiated) than a chewed PopTart looks like a gun (to ANYONE).

And the kid is not only a minority but a Muslim to boot.

A double PC burger there...

Comment

Well, the ticking junk box looks more like a bomb (to the uninitiated) than a chewed PopTart looks like a gun (to ANYONE).

And the kid is not only a minority but a Muslim to boot.

A double PC burger there...
                              It doesn't look like a bomb to me, but most people don't know much of anything about electronics either because it does have a superficial resemblance to a TV bomb.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                It doesn't look like a bomb to me, but most people don't know much of anything about electronics either because it does have a superficial resemblance to a TV bomb.
                                That was my point with the "uninitiated" beeswax.

Electronics experts excluded... ;-)

[Could you have discerned it wasn't a bomb with case shut and cabled?]

Comment