Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rape Culture: Why Yes can mean No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    out of curiosity, is that a hard c or a soft c in the cis-man?
    I believe you pronoun the c like a s. So phonetically it sounds like sis-man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
      I've been curious about that too. Looks like I was pronouncing it about right.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• straight white males should have their own meetings and clubs and bar non-straight non-white non-males on the grounds that their meeting is not safe for them
        "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

the reason I am asking is in Afrikaans (and so in South Africa) sis roughly means yuck
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Once again, where in the infographic does it explain this? Answer: It doesn't. So whats the point in the infographic other than to have a bash at men or a hissy fit? Do you not think an infographic explaining what you said would be better?
            It takes rape tips and flips them around to address victim blaming and shows how ridiculous telling people not to rape is, just as it is ridiculous telling people to not get raped.

I'm not totally familiar with that case so I will need to review it a bit more. If I remember correctly I did think it was rape since the girl was unconscious. I think a lot of people had the idea that because she seemingly consented beforehand that it was OK. And what I mean by seemingly consented was that they were under the impression that she agreed to sex beforehand. Not sure on how they judge that though. I don't hold this view however as I believe that having sex with an unconscious person is rape and there were pictures showing her to be unconscious from what I remember of the situation.

In saying that though I think that is the only case I can remember seeing something like that and I don't remember any other cases since Judge Pickles and his stupid statement.
            It the most well known example but it is textbook with the idea that rape victims are at least partly responsible for their rape.

Comment

Yes, hence why feminists don't target these jobs for gender equality purposes. The main reason is that they not highly paid enough to target. They do however target STEM fields since those jobs do pay well. However they refuse to notice that the highly paid STEM fields require you to do some icky things. One of the jobs I mentioned already is an oil rig worker. They get paid a lot of money because of 3 reasons, 1) There learned knowledge, 2) They work in a dangerous environment and 3) They work anti-social hours and have to spend time away from families for prolonged periods. Women tend to not like reason 2 and 3 on that list but still the feminist machine denies this. they also fail to understand that people who work those types of jobs need to get paid more to do them otherwise nobody would do them. They would do something more comfortable instead in an office somewhere.
              I personally enjoy the design and working aspects of things, but I know that isn't for everybody (and trust me, I know these jobs have icky aspects, ever have your entire arm in a gas tank or had your leg soaked with jet fuel?).
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 05-20-2015, 10:02 PM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                It takes rape tips and flips them around to address victim blaming and shows how ridiculous telling people not to rape is, just as it is ridiculous telling people to not get raped.
                I'm sorry PM, but that is ridiculous and here is a good reason why. When my husband and I went downtown to see a show. There was a sign that said, "Don't leave your valuables unattended". Was that 'blaming the victim' if their car got broke into if they didn't follow this advice? By your logic, it is. So I guess we should just stop telling people ways they could avoid being victims of crimes because it is 'blaming the victim', right? I sure hope that made more sense in your head than it did when you said it out loud.

It the most well known example but it is textbook with the idea that rape victims are at least partly responsible for their rape.
                By that insane logic, any tips to try to avoid being a victim of any crime is blaming the victim. Again, I sure hope that sounded better in your head than it did when you said it out loud.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Take from this what you will. I think I'm going to start a new thread on this topic actually.

So there you have it. The U.N. are declaring that in order to get equal outcome then the genders need to be treated differently. Of course this means in reality that women get shoved into positions where they don't want to be and men get held back from achieving what they want to achieve.

Mark my words. This will not work and it won't last long.
                  Anyone else ever read 'The Peter Principle'?
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                    You do realize that the bolded part is what they are doing don't you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30245676

http://time.com/2913313/5-things-we-...ape-right-now/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/malika...b_2915635.html

Also as I mentioned earlier on, it's the police job when they give the public tips to protect them from crime. This happens with several different crimes. The police tell people to make sure they lock their doors to their houses and cars. I don't see people screaming at the police to teach thieves not to steal instead.

Also if the police didn't give out rape prevention tips then I guarantee feminists would scream about that and accuse the police of not taking rape seriously since they don't want to protect women from it. It's supposed to be a heads I win, tails you lose situation in regards to them.

I don't think it happens all that often though. Well at least in the UK I don't hear anything like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Anyone else ever read 'The Peter Principle'?
                      I had to look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

The Peter Principle is a concept in management theory in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."

Comment

• No need for due process here. If you're a man accussed then just go to jail, do not pass go and do not collect $200.

Comment

• Remember when we talking about men being a significant number of victims in concerns to domestic violence.

Here you go.

Comment

Remember when we talking about men being a significant number of victims in concerns to domestic violence.

Here you go.

What. What do people who have it the other way around do? What if a woman is concerned that she's becoming abusive or a man is getting abused? Why does that page just ASSUME that it's ALWAYS the man beating up the woman? They could be beating each other up. Or the woman could be attacking the man.
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              What. What do people who have it the other way around do? What if a woman is concerned that she's becoming abusive or a man is getting abused? Why does that page just ASSUME that it's ALWAYS the man beating up the woman? They could be beating each other up. Or the woman could be attacking the man.
                              On a related note, domestic abuse in homosexual relationships is also not uncommon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                It's about controlling the narrative to get more money. It's a sad fact but it's true. The narrative needs to go along the lines of women are oppressed and men are the perpetrators. That is how they get their money when it comes to fundraising. Donators are more likely to put their hands into their pockets if they think it's oppression rather than some couples just beating each other up. You see the moment you show that domestic violence can happen both ways is the moment that people realise that it's a problem with humanity rather than an act of oppression against women.

I remember the man who heads a charity called Mankind once said in an interview that he went to a feminist organisation to ask if they could pull their resources together to better help everyone. He said he was told that he was seen as a competitor and they didn't want to work with them. In other words they wanted the money for themselves and they didn't care that men could also be helped in the process.

Comment