Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Pastor Protection Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    Yeah, that must be it. The 'left' can never be reasonable. Sigh.
    I think there's "the left" that is visible in the media, bringing attention to themselves because of their extremist views - then there's "the left" with whom it's possible to reason.

(Insert "the right" in place of "the left", and I believe the statement is still true)

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    See? Sometimes the dreaded left can be reasonable.
    They're up to something!

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Of course they can't, just look at at NZ Labour's leader Andrew Little, who used the birth of Princess Charlotte as an opportunity to say that NZ should become a republic and referred to Prince William, who is second in line to the throne, as a "distant heir to the throne"

(I'm just picking on NZ Labour because they're like a bunch of drunk ducks as they struggle to find traction with the NZ voter)

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Or they just realized they did not have a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Or they just realized they did not have a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Meanwhile, I just found out that the Senate Committee passed the bill out of their committee, and the full Senate may vote on it any time. It's possible this will happen before end of session in about 4 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    No. No it isn't.

There's simply an order of magnitude more crazy -
    And, as OP, I'm officially asking you to take your crazy elsewhere. Feel free to start your own thread, but stop derailing this one.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    The "crazies" simply don't exist all that much on the left . . .
    Dude, you are one of the crazies, of course you don't think there's as many on the left as there is on the right.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Oh that's just plain wrong.
    No. No it isn't.

There's simply an order of magnitude more crazy - by which I mean delusion and irrationality - on the right. There just is. I'll grant that on the left there can be a lot of unusual views, opinions, or weirdness, but there just isn't remotely the same level of factual delusion and irrational insanity.

Can you show me, for example, a single left-leaning state in the US that has called out the State Guard to protect themselves from a fear-mongered conspiracy about federal invasion? There simply doesn't exist on the left remotely the same kind of irrational paranoid delusional conspiracy that exists in spades on the right.

Cow Poke's examples are ridiculous:
    We're talking Austin, whose unofficial motto is "keep Austin weird".
    Making weird or unusual choices for oneself and how one wants to live is not necessarily irrational nor necessarily indicative of any factual delusion about the world.

When Wendy Davis was on her 'abortion is wonderful' campaign, the crazies were out chanting "Hail Satan" and singing songs about Satan.
    So... Wendy Davis supports a woman's right to choose. Wow, how crazy... not. And religious people believe a religion. Wow, how crazy... not. Or alternatively those people didn't believe a religion and were singing in order to mock religion. Again, wow, how crazy... not.

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    You've been told repeatedly by left-leaning people on this thread that they didn't really have any big objections to the bill and didn't really think the bill mattered all that much.

The "crazies" simply don't exist all that much on the left, not when compared to the amount of crazies that exist on the right. Just this week, insane right-wing lunatics in Texas got themselves so worked up into a conspiracy frenzy that they really thought that the federal government was going to invade Texas that the state governor was forced to call in the State Guard to monitor the situation in order to appease the crazies. That's a frothing-at-the-mouth level of insanity and delusion. The same level of crazy just plain doesn't exist on the left.
    Oh that's just plain wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You've been told repeatedly by left-leaning people on this thread that they didn't really have any big objections to the bill and didn't really think the bill mattered all that much.
    Yet, I was at the house hearing where left-leaning people were passionately arguing against it.

The "crazies" simply don't exist all that much on the left...
    And, AGAIN, you don't know shoe polish from camel poop..... We're talking Austin, whose unofficial motto is "keep Austin weird".

When Wendy Davis was on her 'abortion is wonderful' campaign, the crazies were out chanting "Hail Satan" and singing songs about Satan.

But, yeah.... somebody like you probably thinks that's perfectly normal.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, the Senate version (SB2065) was heard this morning, and I was there to testify and to hear testimony. I was pleasantly surprised at the overwhelming support for this Bill, and the very MILD opposition from the left. It almost seems like they're resigned to its passage, and are only offering minor changes to make it more palatable for them. Even the ACLU spoke only slightly "against", with a reservation that they understand that there was, indeed, a slight change in the wording, which they could now support, insisting that they are FOR religious liberty.

I had been warned that the liberals were "rounding up the crazies" to testify, and that's why the legal maneuvering to delay it. I didn't see any of that - everybody was polite and professional and spoke to the issue.

The "crazies" simply don't exist all that much on the left, not when compared to the amount of crazies that exist on the right. Just this week, insane right-wing lunatics in Texas got themselves so worked up into a conspiracy frenzy that they really thought that the federal government was going to invade Texas that the state governor was forced to call in the State Guard to monitor the situation in order to appease the crazies. That's a frothing-at-the-mouth level of insanity and delusion. The same level of crazy just plain doesn't exist on the left.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I'm trying to be optimistic about this... some of the others say they're just trying to run out the clock, wanting to work on "definitions", because the Texas Session only lasts 4 more weeks. And the Texas Legislature only meets every other year.

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, the Senate version (SB2065) was heard this morning, and I was there to testify and to hear testimony. I was pleasantly surprised at the overwhelming support for this Bill, and the very MILD opposition from the left. It almost seems like they're resigned to its passage, and are only offering minor changes to make it more palatable for them. Even the ACLU spoke only slightly "against", with a reservation that they understand that there was, indeed, a slight change in the wording, which they could now support, insisting that they are FOR religious liberty.

I had been warned that the liberals were "rounding up the crazies" to testify, and that's why the legal maneuvering to delay it. I didn't see any of that - everybody was polite and professional and spoke to the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Leave a comment: