Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impending Minimum Wage hike causing restaurants to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Higher income taxes and/or wealth taxes.
    How would that raise the employees' salary?
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Higher income taxes and/or wealth taxes.
      Which would bring about a whole 'nuther wave of tax shelters and offshore money, and/or decrease the motivation to bust one's butt to succeed.

Typical liberal solution.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Same way gasoline taxes and road and bridge taxes pay for ..... oh, that's right --- our infrastructure is crumbling IN SPITE of all that tax money.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          The money has to come from somewhere, Sam. In the case of McDonalds, or many of the franchises that pay minimum wage based salaries, the franchisee is, in effect, "middle management", and has a tight budget with which to work. Labor is one of the few controllable costs in such a business, so it's either cut the hours of current employees, cut the number of employees, or dig into his/her own pocket. (or some combination of the three)

Where do YOU suppose that money would come from?
          are my posts being edited for everybody else??

In cased you missed it (a hundred times)
          I said it could come from the customer, a twenty-cents per dollar increase.

twenty pennies, or 4 nickels, or 2 dimes.

AND IN POST 99 , I cited how , in spite of all the minimum wage increases since the 1970s , the number of people eating at fast food establishments still increased, and the number of fast food stores increases.

The customer pays,

...and why not.

what else? is the customer saying "you feed me, you cook my burger, fry my fries, clean up after me, clean the facilities no matter how big a mess I make using them... oh, and by the way, I want it cheap even if there isn't enough for you to make a living"

??
          To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I just keep noticing how the liberals here are not volunteering to put up their own money to solve the problem.

For example, if Jordanriver thinks a tip will solve the problem, why doesn't he/she take money from his/her paycheck and tip the employees that he/she supervises to make sure they are making a decent wage?

Of course Sam probably doesn't have a job so I guess he is off the hook.
            The left-wing solution to every problem; use other people's money.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
              are my posts being edited for everybody else??

In cased you missed it (a hundred times)
              I said it could come from the customer, a twenty-cents per dollar increase.

twenty pennies, or 4 nickels, or 2 dimes.

AND IN POST 99 , I cited how , in spite of all the minimum wage increases since the 1970s , the number of people eating at fast food establishments still increased, and the number of fast food stores increases.

The customer pays,

...and why not.

what else? is the customer saying "you feed me, you cook my burger, fry my fries, clean up after me, clean the facilities no matter how big a mess I make using them... oh, and by the way, I want it cheap even if there isn't enough for you to make a living"

??
              so go ahead and give nice tips. Make sure you tip everyone who works for you to make sure they get livable wage too. Then convince your fellow liberals to do the same, pretty soon your idea will catch on and all of the liberals will show us conservatives how wrong we are. Your idea, you start. There is no need for government involvement or even for the companies owners to be involved. It is between you and the person you are tipping.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                By paying for a modified EITC such that incomes for working adults are supplemented to meet a standard of living wage, which would be my (loosely) preferred policy.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Same way gasoline taxes and road and bridge taxes pay for ..... oh, that's right --- our infrastructure is crumbling IN SPITE of all that tax money.
                  Gas tax revenue since 1933.jpg
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

By paying for a modified EITC such that incomes for working adults are supplemented to meet a standard of living wage, which would be my (loosely) preferred policy.
                    Why not help Jordanriver with his Tip idea? You can make a difference in someone's life Sam! Then convince two other liberals to join you and so on. Go for it!

Comment

representative government,
                      ...how's that workin out for ya..........

lobbyist: "you cant win without this money"

politician, "and what do I have to do for your contribution?"

lobbyist: "make sure my company gets the bid for roads and bridges"

politician: "I've heard there are a lot of problems with your company"

lobbyist: "whats that got to do with anything, ...look, do you want to get elected or not, I can give this to someone else"

politician: "lets not get hasty, anyway, money or not, how do I get people to vote for me, I don't know anything about roads and bridges"

lobbyist: "oh, that's easy, just tell 'em you're prochoice or something"

politician "but this district is mostly prolife"

lobbyist, "ok then , so just tell 'em you're prolife"

politician "...ah, ...ok , I get it, .......but I'm prochoice"

lobbyist: "whats that got to do with anything, worry about that later, you gotta get elected first"

politician, "right. gotcha"
                      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• jordan, your posts would be a lot easier to read with consistent capitalization. Just a friendly suggestion.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          jordan, your posts would be a lot easier to read with consistent capitalization. Just a friendly suggestion.
                          Thank You.

Comment

so go ahead and give nice tips. Make sure you tip everyone who works for you to make sure they get livable wage too. Then convince your fellow liberals to do the same, pretty soon your idea will catch on and all of the liberals will show us conservatives how wrong we are. Your idea, you start. There is no need for government involvement or even for the companies owners to be involved. It is between you and the person you are tipping.
                            I think I know what kind of world you want.

A world where the unskilled have to come hat-in-hand, like Blanche Dubois

Comment

• well JR? are you going to answer my post? or just make ad homs?

What are you doing about your idea? You can start tipping everyone 20% and convince others to do the same. You can take part of your paycheck and give it to your workers. Nobody is stopping you.

Are you going to do it?

Comment

well JR? are you going to answer my post? or just make ad homs?

What are you doing about your idea? You can start tipping everyone 20% and convince others to do the same. You can take part of your paycheck and give it to your workers. Nobody is stopping you.

Are you going to do it?
                                sheesh

I don't know why you're balking.

If you are conservative, you probably already tip, like I still do.

The difference with my "idea" is that , then, the liberals who never tip would have to start tipping.

Comment