Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impending Minimum Wage hike causing restaurants to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You just don't get it. It has nothing to do with hours worked, it's about how easily the employee can be replaced, and when you can take a typical low-information liberal and teach him to flip burgers in less than half-a-day, he is very easily replaced, so he doesn't get paid like he's irreplaceable.
    I know 4 churches populated by burger flippers and janitors who hate liberals.
    I love these conservative brothers and sisters and don't like the idea that they are replaceable disposable human beings
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      EGGzackly --- go to the head of the class!

And why is THAT?
      easy.
      So that they are easily disposable
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        If you want to answer that question for yourself, you are free to do your own work.
        WHAT?!?!?! The GOOGLEMEISTER is PUNTING?!?!?!

Since the argument is largely that unskilled labor is worth as much or less than the current minimum wage, my argument doesn't rely on that labor being flipping burgers,
        That's what the last several pages have been about.

waiting tables or packing peanuts. The total number of full-time workers making minimum wage or less is more relevant to a discussion about the minimum wage than the percentage of those workers who are line cooks.
        LINE COOKS?

You're a funny funny guy.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
          easy.
          So that they are easily disposable
          Well, that would be a conspiracy theory approach, I suppose ---

The question was --- employers don't like to hire full time employees. Why is that?

Now, it would be SILLY to have an employee trained to flip burgers (or do any other menial task) and not keep them, once I have them trained and operating. It's incredibly naive to believe any employer would want them to be "disposable", like the red shirts on Star Trek.

A better answer is that all kinds of other expenses kick in when an employee becomes "full time" -- It's WAY more expensive for an employer to have full time employees for menial labor, including a wide range of unfunded government mandates.

Just like when my company approached 50 employees -- we held off for as long as we could with 49 full time employees, because once we crossed the 50 thresshold, there were ALL KINDS of government regs and reporting and additional expenses that kicked in. We did it, though, and were at 800 employees when I cashed out.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I love these conservative brothers and sisters and don't like the idea that they are replaceable disposable human beings
            Who forced them to take these jobs? Somebody put a gun to their heads? When they accepted these jobs, were they TRICKED into believing they were high paying jobs? And now they can't quit for fear of being hunted down and killed or something?

Comment

Who forced them to take these jobs? Somebody put a gun to their heads? When they accepted these jobs, were they TRICKED into believing they were high paying jobs? And now they can't quit for fear of being hunted down and killed or something?
              God Bless 'em....
              they're doing the best they can
              ...a couple washes dishes and I think they are eligible for disability but don't believe in that..

They are not disposable. They are human beings

Comment

God Bless 'em....
                they're doing the best they can
                ...a couple washes dishes and I think they are eligible for disability but don't believe in that..
                Cool

They are not disposable. They are human beings
                And that "disposable" nonsense is your own evil invention - NONE of us believes that.

Comment

WHAT?!?!?! The GOOGLEMEISTER is PUNTING?!?!?!

That's what the last several pages have been about.

LINE COOKS?

You're a funny funny guy.

I like people to be able to make their own arguments with their own supporting data. Keeps 'em from wasting time.
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Cool

And that "disposable" nonsense is your own evil invention - NONE of us believes that.
                    what do you think "very easily replaced" means?

Comment

"Replaceable disposable human beings"? Get that strawman out of here. I never said that they were replaceable as human beings, but as employees in no-skill entry level jobs, you'd better believe they are easily replaced, and that's why those kinds of jobs don't command high salaries.

"You don't want to flip burgers for minimum wage? Fine. I have two-dozen applications in my hand from people who will. Don't let the door hit you on the way out."
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

what do you think "very easily replaced" means?
                        It means "very easily replaced". Not quite the same as "disposable".

Now, IF they were interested in keeping their job, they could BECOME "not very easily replaced" --- for example, if they were more prompt than the others, or more dependable, or were more flexible as to being called in for no-shows....

If all they do is show up and do the minimum required work to get a pay check -- THEN they are very easily replaced.

You're a girl, aren't you?

Comment

Who else's interest is corporate acting on behalf of, when they fire a division, (IOW, send them packing off to McDonalds or KFC), after replacing them with robotics

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          That has ZERO to do with the minimum wage argument.
                          yes it does.

It shows how easy it is in this American system to be "secure" one day, have a nice job with good wages, good benefits, and in a day, your job is gone to some other country
                          ...and the next thing you know, you have to take a MINIMUM WAGE job at McDonalds or KFC...

or replaced by robotics

...or replaced by contractors.

yeah, at any time with the status quo, you can be fired , ...but still allowed to stay doing the same work , but through a temp agency

Comment

yes it does.
                            Nope. Does not.

It shows how easy it is in this American system to be "secure" one day, have a nice job with good wages, good benefits, and in a day, your job is gone to some other country
                            ...and the next thing you know, you have to take a MINIMUM WAGE job at McDonalds or KFC...
                            WOW! That's quite a leap! You have quite an active imagination!

or replaced by robotics

...or replaced by contractors.

yeah, at any time with the status quo, you can be fired , ...but still allowed to stay doing the same work , but through a temp agency
                            And the thought police come and drag you to McDonalds and force you to flip burgers for $8.00/hr!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              You just don't get it. It has nothing to do with hours worked, it's about how easily the employee can be replaced, and when you can take a typical low-information liberal and teach him to flip burgers in less than half-a-day, he is very easily replaced, so he doesn't get paid like he's irreplaceable.
                              And yet the same type of work paid much more per hour in 1968 than it does today. $15/hour isn't what "irreplaceable" employees are paid, any road.
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Nope. Does not.

WOW! That's quite a leap! You have quite an active imagination!

And the thought police come and drag you to McDonalds and force you to flip burgers for $8.00/hr!
                                ah yes,
                                they have the choice to reopen the factory

or they can start their own business huh.

and they can lose the last shirt they have doing that.

no, they dont have to go to McDonalds or KFC or Service Master, they can sit at home till the bank takes it and they are free to live under the bridge

Comment