Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More From The Religion Of Peace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Then how would you want Obama to understand the Taliban?
    Have a very Merry Christmas, Pap!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's good to know that this time you got it.

Now, the incident raises an interesting question: was it at all wise to award the Peace Prize?
      The suggestion that discourse be chilled (and I count this as discourse as it does send a clear political statement) for fear of reprisal is troublesome. Should we not criticize political Islam at all out of fear that somebody will be upset? (I understand this is the Dutch route.)
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Have a very Merry Christmas, Pap!
        Thank you; I do hope to have a joyful Xmas.

But I also hope to get a substantive response from you, instead of asinine dodges.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          The suggestion that discourse be chilled (and I count this as discourse as it does send a clear political statement) for fear of reprisal is troublesome.
          You misunderstand my position. Critique of a certain expression doesn't necessarily imply the stance that all expressions should cease.

The Nobel Peace Prize was used as a weapon: given some of the consequences, those inclined to reflection face the question of its wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You must be back on your jackassery tour.
            I don't recall making a pitstop.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paprika;133971]

It depends on what the intended benefits of awarding it are, because I agree such a reaction certainly could be reasonably expected.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                This is why sadly we are in WW3. These people will not stop until they have the world.
                I actually lol at this when I read it, but I'm not even going to bother to explain why.

Comment

Thank you; I do hope to have a joyful Xmas.

But I also hope to get a substantive response from you, instead of asinine dodges.
                  And a very Happy New Year, too, if, indeed, it's possible for you to be happy.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It depends on what the intended benefits of awarding it are, because I agree such a reaction certainly could be reasonably expected.
                    So are we agreed that it is possible that the award could possibly be unwise, and that one could reasonably consider whether it should not have been given?

Comment

So are we agreed that it is possible that the award could possibly be unwise, and that one could reasonably consider whether it should not have been given?
                      I think it's premature to say so before we've even considered the possible benefits. We've only even looked at one side of the equation.

Comment

I think it's premature to say so before we've even considered the possible benefits. We've only even looked at one side of the equation.
                        But where have I made such a premature claim, or asked you to make one?

Answer the question: is it possible that it was unwise?

Comment

But where have I made such a premature claim, or asked you to make one?

Answer the question: is it possible that it was unwise?
                          I'm inclined toward saying "no" because I think the cost of setting precedent for capitulating into the demands of radical Islam is too high.

Comment

I'm inclined toward saying "no" because I think the cost of setting precedent for capitulating into the demands of radical Islam is too high.
                            That is strange; I find it hard to believe that when the Nobel Committee deliberating the awardees that radical Islamists found out and wrote in to protest.

Comment

That is strange; I find it hard to believe that when the Nobel Committee deliberating the awardees that radical Islamists found out and wrote in to protest.
                              The aim of the continued threats toward her (and the actual assassination attempt) were to minimize or eliminate any influence on her part. Refusing her the award on that basis would simply be capitulating into those demands, even if they were not literally made ahead of time in the context of the Nobel Prize.

Comment

The aim of the continued threats toward her (and the actual assassination attempt) were to minimize or eliminate any influence on her part. Refusing her the award on that basis would simply be capitulating into those demands, even if they were not literally made ahead of time in the context of the Nobel Prize.
                                I'll leave you to your doubling down on your "all or nothing" viewpoint. Do not, however, project them on me.

Comment