Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cosby was my Childhood Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should tend to listen to people who claim that they've been raped. Its okay to wait for evidence before maning up your mind, but if someone comes forward to say that they've been sexually abused, then presumption of gold digging is the wrong approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      We should tend to listen to people who claim that they've been raped. Its okay to wait for evidence before maning up your mind, but if someone comes forward to say that they've been sexually abused, then presumption of gold digging is the wrong approach.
      No one should be believed without evidence. Especially when someone is being accused of a felony like rape. Listening is okay, believing without evidence is foolish in my opinion. We have had enough public false rape claims to be cautious of the "listen and believe" mentality. So with that, I agree. If Cosby's rape history was indeed an open secret, everyone who knew should carry some blame for this. Just from what I have always known about Cosby, I knew he was a hypocrite, but I didn't know it went as deep as rape.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Cosby has admitted in a deposition (under oath, of course) to....

Source: (CNN)

...getting prescription Quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with, newly released documents show.

The documents, dating back to 2005, stem from a civil lawsuit filed by Andrea Constand -- one of the dozens of women who have publicly accused the comedian of sexual assault. The records were made public Monday after The Associated Press went to court to compel their release.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          No one should be believed without evidence. Especially when someone is being accused of a felony like rape. Listening is okay, believing without evidence is foolish in my opinion. We have had enough public false rape claims to be cautious of the "listen and believe" mentality.
          I think we need to be careful about cherry picking cases like that.

The cases of false rape claims represent a minority of cases, a small minority. If we presumed guilt, we'd likely be right 95% of the time. I'm not asking you to do that, but presuming that its a false claim "because we can't people claiming rape, especially for a child icon" that's the wrong approach. I guessed at the beginning that the women who stepped forward were right. Cosby has now admitted to it.

So with that, I agree. If Cosby's rape history was indeed an open secret, everyone who knew should carry some blame for this.
          However the victims are not to blame. Many women often don't come forward with their rape stories, because they're afraid people won't believe them. Sadly, that is not without justification.

Comment

If people want to lower their view of Cosby even more, then probably the big reason why he did it and thought he could get away with it, was that he likely suspected that no one would believe these women.

Comment

I think we need to be careful about cherry picking cases like that.

The cases of false rape claims represent a minority of cases, a small minority. If we presumed guilt, we'd likely be right 95% of the time. I'm not asking you to do that, but presuming that its a false claim "because we can't people claiming rape, especially for a child icon" that's the wrong approach. I guessed at the beginning that the women who stepped forward were right. Cosby has now admitted to it.

However the victims are not to blame. Many women often don't come forward with their rape stories, because they're afraid people won't believe them. Sadly, that is not without justification.
              But I wasn't cherry picking cases. I made it a point to talk about public claims of rape. When any form of celebrity is involved, it is natural to wonder if there is a monetary benefit behind it. Most people with that kind money or celebrity, have no need to rape a women in order to gain sex. If that person did indeed rape someone, it's because they are like any other rapist, a sociopath. There is no way to know if you presumed guilt, you would be right 95% of the time. Beyond that though, no one should be found guilty by public opinion. So no, you shouldn't jump to a conclusion without facts to back them up. As far as I know, in this country you are still considered innocent until proven guilty.

I didn't say the victims were to blame. I said if this was an open secret in Hollywood, those who knew about it (other than the raped women obviously) should also take blame for not coming forward. It's the same with the pedophilia problem in Hollywood. Most know about it, hardly anything is done because no one really steps forward.
              Last edited by Jesse; 01-03-2016, 09:09 AM.
              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Particularly when the actor has an otherwise stellar reputation as a role model / TV family dad - Doctor Cliff Huckstable, and entertainer and educator of children.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Cosby has admitted in a deposition (under oath, of course) to....

Source: (CNN)

...getting prescription Quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with, newly released documents show.

The documents, dating back to 2005, stem from a civil lawsuit filed by Andrea Constand -- one of the dozens of women who have publicly accused the comedian of sexual assault. The records were made public Monday after The Associated Press went to court to compel their release.

© Copyright Original Source

I don't think that this is really anything new. He has repeatedly acknowledged supplying Quaaludes along with alcohol (a potentially dangerous combination) to women he had sex with but has always maintained that any subsequent sex was completely consensual.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I don't think that this is really anything new. He has repeatedly acknowledged supplying Quaaludes along with alcohol (a potentially dangerous combination) to women he had sex with but has always maintained that any subsequent sex was completely consensual.
                    Yes, and anybody who has been around courtrooms knows that "impaired consent" is not consent. It looks like it will come down to a matter of "did the women know that the drug/booze combo was part of the preparation for sex", and were they ok with that. If it can be shown that they willingly and knowingly took the drug/booze to "set the mood" or something, then maybe there's not a problem with "impaired consent".

Comment

• Anymore, when I read of cases like this, I think of Brian Banks. The few false claims seriously skew the odds of fair evidence, and everybody loses.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• My thought on it is that given that Quaaludes were the drug of choice in the 1970's Bill Cosby was the supplier and used his position of power to have sex in exchange for drugs, much in the way dealers use power to get sex in exchange for cocaine/crack/heroin etc.... Cosby is a sleezeball, But trying to take advantage of the position of radical feminism by wanting a piece of the pie and demanding money and pressing rape charges is equally as sleezy. In this case there are no winners, It proves how depraved we are.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          My thought on it is that given that Quaaludes were the drug of choice in the 1970's Bill Cosby was the supplier and used his position of power to have sex in exchange for drugs, much in the way dealers use power to get sex in exchange for cocaine/crack/heroin etc.... Cosby is a sleezeball, But trying to take advantage of the position of radical feminism by wanting a piece of the pie and demanding money and pressing rape charges is equally as sleezy. In this case there are no winners, It proves how depraved we are.
                          Preach it, sister!
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            The man has done SO MUCH for kids like me (when I was a kid) and we have heralded him as "a voice of reason" in the black community, encouraging family and "fatherhood".
                            Heralded by who? Did you actually read anything black people said about him and his comments? Or are you assuming we mindlessly bought into what he said, like you might asume we did with Carson?
                            "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jichard View Post
                              Heralded by who? Did you actually read anything black people said about him and his comments? Or are you assuming we mindlessly bought into what he said, like you might asume we did with Carson?
                              He was widely praised for many of his remarks except among the race hustlers who have a vested interest in stirring up animosity.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Sandra Fluke outed herself as aEdited by a Moderator (she basically admitted to having sex so often that she couldn't afford the contraceptives).
                                You display the love of Christ almost as well as Cow Poke and klaus do. Rush Limbaugh would be so proud.
                                Last edited by Jedidiah; 01-05-2016, 03:50 PM.
                                "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment