Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by publius View Post
    It's in the plumbing, BP. Jesus may not have addressed homosexuality per se, however He did define marriage.
    "Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
    Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
    Mat 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. - Matthew 19:4-6 -KJV
    Publius, I am not a Christian. I don't really care what Jesus had to say about marriage.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
      Look, I get it. You think his behavior is immoral. Who cares?
      I do...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I gathered that you weren't a Christian (or at least, that your views did not line up with the mainline Christian position on homosexuality and morality). I posted only because it appeared to me that you and seer were talking past one another. I was attempting to be helpful, but apparently that didn't come through. I do maintain, though, that Christian views on homosexuality are intrinsically tied to Cook's proclamation being publishable. Against a morally neutral backdrop, there would be nothing in the statement that would make it either commendable or deplorable.
        Hello adrift,

It's good to see you posting again. You are possibly the Christian I've most enjoyed disagreeing with on TWeb, which makes my agreement here almost disappointing. Left uncapitalized, I can't even object to your reference to Mainline Christianity, which is generally quite welcoming to the GLBT community.

Whether mainline or Mainline, however, there are certainly some Christian views on homosexuality:

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Really, he should keep his perversion to himself.
        ... without which there'd be little reason to commend Cook for his announcement.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          Hello adrift,

It's good to see you posting again. You are possibly the Christian I've most enjoyed disagreeing with on TWeb, which makes my agreement here almost disappointing. Left uncapitalized, I can't even object to your reference to Mainline Christianity, which is generally quite welcoming to the GLBT community.

Whether mainline or Mainline, however, there are certainly some Christian views on homosexuality:
          Hello Jesse. Good to you see you too! I'll try harder next time.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            ... without which there'd be little reason to commend Cook for his announcement.

As ever, Jesse
            Yes, as we should commend the pedophile when he comes out of the closet. After all if he is a well known personality he may help other pedophiles feel better about themselves and help remove the social stigma.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I think seer's point is that your friend is not saying she is proud to have AIDs, or that your Christian prison ministry friend is proud of his criminal past. Tim Cook is saying that he is proud, and thankful to God, that he is a homosexual. To many Christians, this is analogous to a person saying "I'm proud and thankful to God for being an alcoholic", or "I'm proud and thankful to God for being attracted to minors". These are not things that Christians would want to be proud of and thankful for. These are things that most Christians would desire help or healing for.
              Welcome Back!!!
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                Welcome Back!!!
                Thank you Irate!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Yes, as we should commend the pedophile when he comes out of the closet. After all if he is a well known personality he may help other pedophiles feel better about themselves and help remove the social stigma.
                  Except that for the millionth time, 1) pedophiles who act on their lusts are committing acts with young children who in all likelihood aren't developed enough yet to truly consent, whereas gay people who act upon their lusts generally do so with other adults who are capable of consenting, and 2) Cook didn't say anything about behavior, just about his orientation. He's acknowledging that his brain is wired in such a way that he experiences attractions to men rather than to women. He didn't say a word about acting on that. Please stop conflating orientation with action.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Free speech sure is irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                      Except that for the millionth time, 1) pedophiles who act on their lusts are committing acts with young children who in all likelihood aren't developed enough yet to truly consent, whereas gay people who act upon their lusts generally do so with other adults who are capable of consenting, and 2) Cook didn't say anything about behavior, just about his orientation. He's acknowledging that his brain is wired in such a way that he experiences attractions to men rather than to women. He didn't say a word about acting on that. Please stop conflating orientation with action.
                      Yes and the pedophile could just claim that his brain is wired that way. Why should we judge pedophilia as morally wrong, after all they can't help who they are attracted to. And do you really believe that Cook is celibate? And hasn't the American Psychiatric Association recently move to remove pedophilia from the list of mental disorders? Yes the first step to normalization.

Comment

I think seer's point is that your friend is not saying she is proud to have AIDs, or that your Christian prison ministry friend is proud of his criminal past. Tim Cook is saying that he is proud, and thankful to God, that he is a homosexual. To many Christians, this is analogous to a person saying "I'm proud and thankful to God for being an alcoholic", or "I'm proud and thankful to God for being attracted to minors". These are not things that Christians would want to be proud of and thankful for. These are things that most Christians would desire help or healing for.
                        So good to see you!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          So good to see you!
                          Its good to see you too CP! missed you guys.

Comment