Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Income Inequality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam provided two reasons not to answer your impudent inquiry, CP. Thus far you have challenged only one of them (in two consecutive posts, funnily enough-- wasn't one enough?). With or without the Bible, the question is not immediately relevant to this discussion.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Sam provided two reasons not to answer your impudent inquiry, CP. Thus far you have challenged only one of them (in two consecutive posts, funnily enough-- wasn't one enough?). With or without the Bible, the question is not immediately relevant to this discussion.
      The point remains -- instead of looking at the biblical ethics of WORK, and giving, and the fact that we are to work "so that we may have to give to them which are in need", you liberals want to use the government to FORCE people to give, even to those who do NOT work.

I'm just tired of the hypocrisy..... if you don't think people are getting enough money, why don't you liberals come up with it yourselves, instead of stealing Other People's Money?

But, feel free to continue to use the government as a weapon against fellow believers.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The point remains -- instead of looking at the biblical ethics of WORK, and giving, and the fact that we are to work "so that we may have to give to them which are in need", you liberals want to use the government to FORCE people to give, even to those who do NOT work.

I'm just tired of the hypocrisy..... if you don't think people are getting enough money, why don't you liberals come up with it yourselves, instead of stealing Other People's Money?

But, feel free to continue to use the government as a weapon against fellow believers.
        so... many... strawmen... don't... know... where... to... start!

Comment

• Here is the OP, lest anybody forget....
          Originally posted by seer View Post
          I hear the libs constantly whining about income inequality. The thing is, I'm not sure where we are to go with that. Of course there is income inequality - some people are not that bright, some don't value education, others are just plain lazy. And I don't see how you fix that.
          Liberals seem to think the "fix" is to use the government as a hammer to force some people to give more of their own money to other people. One of those hammer strikes is the "minimum wage". It's NOT based on merit, or work, or value --- the lazy guy who is just barely doing what is necessary to stay employed gets the same "bump" as the guy who's putting forth effort.

Where is the justice or morality in that?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• As often as you find yourself faced with questions you don't want to answer, just start ranting about liberals. Classy. Real classy.

Comment

As often as you find yourself faced with questions you don't want to answer, just start ranting about liberals. Classy. Real classy.
              As often as you find yourself incapable of defending your goofy liberal ideas, just start ranting about people ranting about your goofy ideas. Classy. Real classy.

Comment

Yet YOU start with the "Jesus told me...". Stop being Boorish, Sam ---- don't get cable!
                Mine was not a quote-mine, as it was relevant to the point and, more importantly, in the correct context. You quoted Matthew 5:14, which deals with the actions and character traits themselves, rather than the reporting of said. Christ calls us to emulate the Beatitudes, to be the "light of the world," and to not distress when being persecuted for such acts. In the next chapter, Christ tells us to do our service with as little fanfare as possible, keeping it secret when possible.

I imagine that you know all of this. And I imagine you understand that you took Scripture out of context, while my quote was within context. I really do find it offensive and detrimental.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Mine was not a quote-mine.
                  Of course not.

Comment

As often as you find yourself incapable of defending your goofy liberal ideas, just start ranting about people ranting about your goofy ideas. Classy. Real classy.
                    You're the real liberal here.

Comment

It's hard to argue that corporations are setting hard work as a factor of "value" if productivity has kept going up but wages have stagnated or (as is the case here) fallen.
                      Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Productivity has gone up because technology makes it easier to do more with less work, not because people are working harder and harder.

At least for some. For others their job is worth less because you and Spartacus flooded the market with Mexicans.
                      Technology is only part of that problem. Notice how abruptly the slope of the blue line changed. I just don't see how technology alone could so suddenly make a difference that huge. No, the sudden kink in the curve happened when Nixon shut the gold window. Before that, LBJ signed legislation that prohibited US citizens from using gold to make trades. I would be glad to expand, explain and justify that explanation (I need to review what I have read, which may take days or weeks).

Comment

You quoted Matthew 5:14
                        No, Sam... I didn't.

Comment

No, Sam... I didn't.
                          5:16, then. Nit-picking is also boorish.
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

5:16, then. Nit-picking is also boorish.
                            Ummmm.... you're angry!

Sam, if you're gonna pretend to be a bible scholar, ya gotta at least get the references right.

Just sayin'.

Comment

You're the real liberal here.
                              That's actually pretty interesting, Spart! Lemme ponder that.

Comment

And the people protesting are unhappy because their wages are insufficient to support a decent standard of living for themselves and their children. That's why this thread exists in the first place
                                Than find somebody or someway to get a better pay check. I did it and so did several other people I know. It isn't that hard to accomplish and can be done in many different ways.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment