Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Income Inequality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Because that's the offer he made and the employee accepted. A voluntary agreement which can be terminated by either party in right to work states.
    It's not a question of legality or arbitrarity, but of justice-- not can he accept, but should he.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      It's not a question of legality or arbitrarity, but of justice-- not can he accept, but should he.
      Did you ever answer my other question that you couldn't answer at the time because you were incapable of multitasking?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did you ever answer my other question that you couldn't answer at the time because you were incapable of multitasking?
        Ah, post #389-- I didn't answer not because I can't multitask, but because we need to lay the right foundations in order to make that judgment in the first place. Patience, old man. Get the principles down, then we can get to applications

Comment

Ah, post #389-- I didn't answer not because I can't multitask, but because we need to lay the right foundations in order to make that judgment in the first place. Patience, old man. Get the principles down, then we can get to applications
          So, where are we in that process? Please don't make me look - I'm too feeble.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What questions do we need to take into consideration to know whether a wage is just?

Comment

What questions do we need to take into consideration to know whether a wage is just?
              If an employer offers a wage, and an employee agrees to accept it in exchange for his labor, how is that UNjust?

AND, for bonus points, why is it any of your business?

Comment

Don't let him get to you, young fella.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Don't let him get to you, young fella.
                  Thanks, Dad.

Comment

If an employer offers a wage, and an employee agrees to accept it in exchange for his labor, how is that UNjust?
                    The question of exploitation is non-negligible... but we're not quite ready to look at that question yet.

AND, for bonus points, why is it any of your business?
                    You say that, but what I hear is "Gosh, all these philosophical questions are just so hard, can't you just shut up and vote the party line already?"

Comment

The question of exploitation is non-negligible... but we're not quite ready to look at that question yet.
                      Yet, somehow, every day THOUSANDS of people agree to work for the amount of money an employer offers in exchange for their labor, and are happy to do so.

You say that, but what I hear is "Gosh, all these philosophical questions are just so hard, can't you just shut up and vote the party line already?"
                      Well, take your meds and stop listening to the voices in your head!

Comment

Yet, somehow, every day THOUSANDS of people agree to work for the amount of money an employer offers in exchange for their labor, and are happy to do so.
                        And the people protesting are unhappy because their wages are insufficient to support a decent standard of living for themselves and their children. That's why this thread exists in the first place

Well, take your meds and stop listening to the voices in your head!
                        If you don't think a discussion about what makes a wage just is important, you're free to go spend your time on activities you think are more productive.

Comment

And the people protesting are unhappy because their wages are insufficient to support a decent standard of living for themselves and their children. That's why this thread exists in the first place
                          Then they should find an employer who will offer them the money they think they deserve, and quit working for such tight-wad employers!

If you don't think a discussion about what makes a wage just is important, you're free to go spend your time on activities you think are more productive.
                          There, there, Spart --- if you're gonna make flippant remarks, don't be surprised when they come back to ya!

Comment

Then they should find an employer who will offer them the money they think they deserve, and quit working for such tight-wad employers!
                            A good point. If none of the employers offers enough bread, why, just dot on down the road to those employers who offer cake instead! How obvious!

Comment

• Originally posted by phank View Post
                              A good point. If none of the employers offers enough bread, why, just dot on down the road to those employers who offer cake instead! How obvious!

Comment

• Originally posted by phank View Post
                                Hey, I have an idea! Instead of entering into a contract with an employer over a wage, then blowing up and pitching a hissy because you don't like it --- how bout actually proving to the employer that you ADD VALUE and are WORTH MORE!!!!!

But, naw.... just use the ol' liberal "I pretend to care so I'm going try to force other people to use their OWN money instead of mine to solve the problems I pretend to solve".

Comment