Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Income Inequality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    If you were working as a burger flipper at McDonalds and your boss offered you a raise to $15, would you consider it unjust to accept it?
    If it meant that the nice older lady whose husband left her with 2 kids and a rent payment would lose her job as a result, would you?
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      If it meant that the nice older lady whose husband left her with 2 kids and a rent payment would lose her job as a result, would you?
      In which case I drop the same question, several times over, in the lap of the CEO
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

In which case I drop the same question, several times over, in the lap of the CEO
        I have no problem agreeing that many CEO's make ridiculous salaries.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          I have no problem agreeing that many CEO's make ridiculous salaries.
          Alright, then let's wait for Sparko's answer to my original question, if you don't mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            What sort of measurement are you using for 'quality of life'? I'd like to know how you are measuring it because from what I could find, the US is currently number 2, in terms of total quality of life among the total population. I'm just curious where your measurement, among the poor, comes from since I can't really seem to find an article on that. By searching though Google.
            You're right; I probably misspoke. I can't find the article I was thinking about at the time and can't find a correlating dataset in the Better Life Index or similar measures. The gap between the bottom 10% and the top 10% is highest in the USA, according to the BLI but the same index ranks the quality of life of the bottom 10% higher than the OECD average.
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I was making an example. I don't know what is in someone's heart.
              Yet you felt so free to call some others greedy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                and Spart hasn't been doign that himself Sparko was just showing folks what Spart was doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                  and Spart hasn't been doign that himself Sparko was just showing folks what Spart was doing.
                  You wanna come over here and say that to my face? I've been pretty up-front about greed being a vice anyone can fall prey to. Anyone who actually read the Augustine quote would have recognized that. Or you could ask LPOT: we concurred on a similar point in a thread a while ago.

Or, as Sparko said to Pap a while ago in this very thread, don't go sticking your nose in other people's conversations.

Comment

Augustine already did that. Your demonstration was entirely superfluous at best.

If you were working as a burger flipper at McDonalds and your boss offered you a raise to $15, would you consider it unjust to accept it?
                    no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                      some people are greedy. at both ends of the income spectrum and all along it. It is not my job to decide who is and who isn't based on their spending. I guess you just have a hard time understanding an example versus a claim.

Comment

no.
                        Why not? The work you're doing isn't worth $15/hour. You haven't earned it-- wouldn't that make it unjust to accept the raise?

Comment

Why not? The work you're doing isn't worth $15/hour. You haven't earned it-- wouldn't that make it unjust to accept the raise?
                          If my boss decided to pay me $15/hour then he must think my work is worth $15/hour. It's his business and he decides what he can afford to pay someone and what their work is worth. The problem I have is someone who demands that they get paid much more than the business can afford or thinks his job is worth. Or demands the government make the employer pay him such an amount.

Comment

He/She won't even give you an appointment.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If my boss decided to pay me $15/hour then he must think my work is worth $15/hour. It's his business and he decides what he can afford to pay someone and what their work is worth. The problem I have is someone who demands that they get paid much more than the business can afford or thinks his job is worth. Or demands the government make the employer pay him such an amount.
                              Let's say that you know for a fact that you don't bring in $15/hour in revenue for this fast-food restaurant: it is quite clear that you are being offered more than what your work is worth on a strictly financial level. Is there another reason your boss might think it just to pay you $15/hour?

Comment

Let's say that you know for a fact that you don't bring in $15/hour in revenue for this fast-food restaurant: it is quite clear that you are being offered more than what your work is worth on a strictly financial level. Is there another reason your boss might think it just to pay you $15/hour?
                                Because that's the offer he made and the employee accepted. A voluntary agreement which can be terminated by either party in right to work states.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment