Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Income Inequality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    How much luxury did Abraham have? Or Moses? Or David? Or Solomon? Or the Pope today?

Reading the bible, I see God using a lot of rich people as his chosen leaders, and they all had luxurious belongings compared to the people they led or lived around. I don't recall God telling them to give away all of their riches, do you?

Also, I bet if you compared your lifestyle and belongings to someone who lives in poverty in Ethiopia, for example, you would be living in luxury. Does that make you greedy? Should you give away everything you own and live in a ditch somewhere?
    The guys who started the gas compression company I worked for started out broke, and became filthy rich -- TWO of them are incredibly generous, and one of them is sitting on his treasure. BESIDES the fact that they employed over 800 people with very good wages and the absolute best "Cadillac" health care plans, 401k, and quarterly bonuses.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• This may be a trivial thing to point out, but the fact that we are all discussing this on the internet (presumably using our own computers) means that we are wealthier than the majority of people in the world.

I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of this, but it seems to me that many discussions of "the rich" just kind of ignore that. We are rich. Just thought I'd point that out.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

How much luxury did Abraham have? Or Moses? Or David? Or Solomon? Or the Pope today?

Reading the bible, I see God using a lot of rich people as his chosen leaders, and they all had luxurious belongings compared to the people they led or lived around. I don't recall God telling them to give away all of their riches, do you?

Did I ever say that God did say that, or that people should give away all of their riches?

Also, I bet if you compared your lifestyle and belongings to someone who lives in poverty in Ethiopia, for example, you would be living in luxury. Does that make you greedy? Should you give away everything you own and live in a ditch somewhere?
        Ah, the tu quoque. I was wondering when it was coming.
        Last edited by Paprika; 10-24-2014, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          We also have no mandate from Christ to force them to not murder. Legalize murder now, it's the TRUE conservative position.
          The bible tells us to seek justice and love mercy. We have a mandate to protect the innocent. Therefore, we have a mandate to oppose murder.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
            Except that your original point was that they would collect less tax revenues;
            No. It was that they had to PAY the defendant in the Windsor case, to the tune of over $300K. But, yes, there will be a loss of revenue due to inheritance tax loss in some cases.

from your own link, "A second effect of same-sex marriages on federal revenues could come through the estate tax, but that effect is almost certain to be small." However, I take it that you're dropping that original point and are arguing that "substantial drain" would arise from increased payouts, which is undesirable.
            The CBO had to make an educated guess in this matter because they have no clue (and they admit as much) about the overall financial state of the same sex partners.

Now, yes, your link does say that "CBO estimates that additional Social Security benefits would total about $50 million in 2005 and grow to $350 million in 2014 (equivalent to $250 million in today’s dollars[from 2004], adjusted for intervening wage growth and cost-of-living increases", but does it not also say that "Revenues would be slightly higher: by less than $400 million a year from 2005 through 2010 and by $500 million to $700 million annually from 2011 through 2014"?
            Same here.

What are these tools, and how are they beneficial?
            Consumer Protection laws and regulations.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Same here.
              Your latest point is that extending civil marriage would lead to an estimated hundreds of millions increased costs in terms of Social Security benefits, but are not the estimated increase in revenues higher?

Consumer Protection laws and regulations.
              Are not such laws and regulations intended to protect individuals or society in general from certain forms of avarice?

Comment

Your latest point is that extending civil marriage would lead to an estimated hundreds of millions increased costs in terms of Social Security benefits, but are not the estimated increase in revenues higher?
                Social Security is but one form of outlay while "revenues" are all forms of inlays

Are not such laws and regulations intended to protect individuals or society in general from certain forms of avarice?
                No. They are typically to protect consumers from criminal behavior
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Did I ever say that God did say that, or that people should give away all of their riches?

Ah, the tu quoque. I was wondering when it was coming.
                  You are the one who said we can tell who is greedy by what they own. But my response was not just to you but Sparticus too, who seems obsessed with "avarice" and how we should control how people spend their money or riches.

Just look at the vatican. There are gold and jewels everywhere. If the church was all about serving others and remaining in poverty, then the vatican should be a slum and the Pope should be wearing a burlap sack instead of silk robes and sitting on a gilded throne.

Comment

You are the one who said we can tell who is greedy by what they own. But my response was not just to you but Sparticus too, who seems obsessed with "avarice" and how we should control how people spend their money or riches.

Just look at the vatican. There are gold and jewels everywhere. If the church was all about serving others and remaining in poverty, then the vatican should be a slum and the Pope should be wearing a burlap sack instead of silk robes and sitting on a gilded throne.
                    "Burlap sack" is a phrase that I could just say over and over again.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      "Burlap sack" is a phrase that I could just say over and over again.
                      Like David Letterman's reliance on the name Buttafuco during the early 90s

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• http://americamagazine.org/issue/market-assumptions

Zymo, you might find this interesting if you still want to know more about the whole "humane economy" bit.
                        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

You are the one who said we can tell who is greedy by what they own.
                          I implied that having many expensive belongings is a sign of greed. Pray tell, what does that have to do with God or me saying that people should "give away all of their riches"?

I see you have nothing of relevance to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Social Security is but one form of outlay while "revenues" are all forms of inlays
                            I am curious: when you claimed that recognising same-sex marriages would cause a "substantial drain" on government monies, did you just consider outlays, without considering inlays?

No. They are typically to protect consumers from criminal behavior
                            And criminal behaviour has nothing to do with avarice.

Comment

I implied that having many expensive belongings is a sign of greed. Pray tell, what does that have to do with God or me saying that people should "give away all of their riches"?
                              You are the one who stuck her nose in the middle of a conversation I was having with Sparticus regarding avarice. So I answered you and him at the same time.

I see you have nothing of relevance to say.
                              Or maybe you should stop making comments from the peanut gallery and then trying to back out of the conversation after someone answers your silly comment.

In other words, mind your own business.
                              Last edited by Sparko; 10-24-2014, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Or maybe you should stop making comments from the peanut gallery and then trying to back out of the conversation after someone answers your silly comment.

In other words, mind your own business.

This is an open thread, which means I can make a post directed at you if I so choose.

Comment