Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama picks EBOLA Czar.... medical superstar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Pay attention - I did not argue he could ram the thing through - I argued that he could have retained it HAD it been his priority. The policy was in place - the issue is keeping it or trashing it. Obama clearly opted for trashing it - no surprise as it didn't fit his priorities. The silly argument is that it could not have been retained - it could have, it simply wasn't.
    more than Bush's last budget. Obama has often asked for even higher GHP spending but the GOP-majority House has just as often tried to make dramatic cuts in the GHP/USAID parent budget. And there's absolutely no indication that if Obama had just wanted more spending in GHP, he would have gotten it. He explicitly requested more spending and didn't get it!

You have to argue that Obama asked for more GHP spending but didn't really want it and, indeed, worked hard to make sure he didn't get it. Green Lanternism, distilled to its essence. There's just simply no reason to believe that budget-cutting Republicans were at all willing to continue increasing USAID to match the increase of the latter Bush years, especially given their intent on creating a culture of reduction in government spending.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      You know not of which you speak. Global health aid wasn't "trashed" — Bush is getting accolades because he significantly increased global health spending in Africa. Global health programs are currently being funded at about $1 billion more than Bush's last budget. Obama has often asked for even higher GHP spending but the GOP-majority House has just as often tried to make dramatic cuts in the GHP/USAID parent budget. And there's absolutely no indication that if Obama had just wanted more spending in GHP, he would have gotten it. He explicitly requested more spending and didn't get it!

You have to argue that Obama asked for more GHP spending but didn't really want it and, indeed, worked hard to make sure he didn't get it. Green Lanternism, distilled to its essence. There's just simply no reason to believe that budget-cutting Republicans were at all willing to continue increasing USAID to match the increase of the latter Bush years, especially given their intent on creating a culture of reduction in government spending.
      Baloney - Obama had the votes he needed to get the level of funding he wanted. He didn't use them because that level of funding wasn't his priority. Period. Presidents may not be able to get everything that they want but before 2010 Obama had more than enough clout/votes to get any policy he really wanted. Clearly, he didn't use them to get this particular item - obviously because it wasn't his priority. There's nothing 'super heroic' about it - come down off your high horse and pay attention to what I actually said instead of spouting nonsense. There's nothing in your argument that refutes mine.
      Last edited by Teallaura; 10-27-2014, 01:10 PM.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

You're either arguing that Bush's GHP spending could have been retained but wasn't or that Bush's GHP spending increase trend could have been retained but wasn't. The first is false on the plain facts: we're spending more for GHP now than when Bush was president. The second is false on the facts, too, as I've shown the discrepancy between what Obama requested, what he got, and what was offered by the GOP-majority House.

Nothing you wrote indicated that you understood the argument in relation to the figures being presented.
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I argued that had it been a priority for Obama the funding could have been retained (or largely retained - sufficient to indicate the priority). Nothing you presented refutes that.

Never mind - we aren't going to agree and I'm not willing to put up with your condescension.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I argued that had it been a priority for Obama the funding could have been retained (or largely retained - sufficient to indicate the priority). Nothing you presented refutes that.

Never mind - we aren't going to agree and I'm not willing to put up with your condescension.
            What, exactly, could have been retained? What funding are you referring to? By what measure was it "trashed"? I think in answering these questions, you'll realize why what you're arguing doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Was there some part of 'I'm not willing to put up with your condescension' that you failed to understand?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Back to the topic of the thread .... can anybody tell me what the new Czar has actually done?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thus far, I think he held a press conference.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Thus far, I think he held a press conference.
                    Ah, so all is well with the world now, and the crisis is under control?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• To be fair, if the guy is doing much of a job he shouldn't be in front of cameras. I'm not big on the whole 'czar' craze but no news doesn't mean not doing his job.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        To be fair, if the guy is doing much of a job he shouldn't be in front of cameras. I'm not big on the whole 'czar' craze but no news doesn't mean not doing his job.
                        But the defenders of this PR thing were touting that it's GOOD that he's a PR guy, cause that's what we NEEDED! Like this....

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        There's actually something fitting about picking a PR guy to handle it, since this whole scare is more in the media than in reality. The administration may have accidentally done something right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          But the defenders of this PR thing were touting that it's GOOD that he's a PR guy, cause that's what we NEEDED! Like this....
                          A position I mostly concur with - but good PR and constant PR aren't the same thing. He doesn't have to be the spokesman - he has to control the message. Harder to say he is or is not this early on.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            A position I mostly concur with - but good PR and constant PR aren't the same thing. He doesn't have to be the spokesman - he has to control the message. Harder to say he is or is not this early on.
                            OK, so he's had a press conference. Anything else?

Comment

• The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• This is interesting: (bolding mine)

Source: ABCNews

and said not a word.

In fact, t or acknowledge him during a brief press avail after their hour-long meeting.

Klain nodded his head a few times as Obama recapped the U.S. response to Ebola and new federal policies now in place.

© Copyright Original Source

I feel SO much better!

Comment