Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jimmy Carter -- Recognize Hamas' legitimacy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    You couldn't even bring yourself to congratulate Barack on taking down Osama.
    I figured he did plenty of that himself.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wednesdays I have two 4-hour lectures, 1p-5p, and 6p-10p. Everything in between is done in a rush.
      I was kidding.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I was kidding.
        The US needs to scour the globe for a few million college math teachers and import them to Craphole, Florida or wherever he is. To relieve taoist of the burden of work, of course.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          The US needs to scour the globe for a few million college math teachers and import them to Craphole, Florida or wherever he is. To relieve taoist of the burden of work, of course.
          I rather think Jesse relishes the chaos.

Comment

There's a lot of ways to describe Jimmy. Biased isn't one of them. The man was and is honest to a fault. And let's lose the lols on that until you can develop some unbiased cred yourself. You couldn't even bring yourself to congratulate Barack on taking down Osama. Reading that, back then, was a serious "whoa" moment for me.

The thing is, I know you can put your personal feeling aside when you're doing science. I can't get around that, and it's so ... disappointing ... maybe that's not quite the right word, but close ... to me that you can't do the same thing on politics. You have the ability over there. Why can't you use it over here?

Please don't take this as anything other than a compliment. You're not doing anything that all too many others do here in Civics. The difference is that I expect more from you because I respect you more than I respect them.

The point being that no one prior to Carter treated that tyrant, or any other tyrant for that matter, any differently, so long as they were on our side. From Pinochet to the Shah, during the Cold War — and the Ceau visit was very much still within the Cold War — the breaks we took from supporting tyrants were filled by installing them. Singling Carter out on that is cherry picking of the same species as singling Darwin out for his Victorian attitudes toward race.

Actually, you can. See above.

As ever, Jesse
            Your quote came from the Carter Center which isn't actually the same thing as Jimmy Carter himself. It was they who said that Jimmy Carter's legitimizing Chavez's election was the correct call. I don't think that the Carter Center is unbiased in this manner.

And who said I couldn't congratulate Obama for taking down Osama? Later, as his supporters started making out like he led SEAL Team 6 in the operation made such nonsense ripe for mockery but I always thought he made the right call (although I think it should have been an easy call to make).

Finally, I don't recall Ceaușescu ever being one of our allies.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Finally, I don't recall Ceaușescu ever being one of our allies.
                It's the "she's not a whore your honor, she gave it away for free" argument, similar to what Paul Krugman tried to argue with regards to his Enron connection.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Truly wretched stuff.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Truly wretched stuff.
                    Remember when Billy used to pee in potted plants and stuff at airports... well, guess where else he peed!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Remember when Billy used to pee in potted plants and stuff at airports... well, guess where else he peed!
                      That was in the cans they shipped to Texas.

Comment

Thirsty is helping me to brew my own brand:

Comment

Thirsty's idea of 'brewing' is spending a few hours in the restroom with a bunch of jugs...
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Thirsty's idea of 'brewing' is spending a few hours in the restroom with a bunch of jugs...
                            He is into recycling

Comment

Comment

Hmmm. Maybe I should try that

Note the last one

Comment