Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden: Gay rights take precedence over national cultures, social traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    The question is, where do human rights come from? Are they a legal fiction, invented by men? If so they are only as certain as the whims of men. "Equality" will always be defined by those with the power. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal." A perfect description of today's liberals.
    Last edited by Tassman; 06-29-2014, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      What? You think a terrorist has the same rights as you do, on grounds that you are morally no better than the terrorist? Sorry sunshine, there is a need to assess the degree of threat posed by each.
      A terrorist isn't a discription of man, it describes a mans activities. A man can choose terrorism, he can't choose his race, gender, sexual orientation. You are comparing apples with oranges in order to support your case. It doesn't work.
      Do you think the Bible declares a false brother to have the same rights as a true brother? Does the Bible declare that the false teacher has the same rights as the teacher who correctly handles the truth?
      We're not talking religion here, thats your bag. Here we have separation of church and state and when we say that all men are created equal we mean all men, not all christian men.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Jim, what country are you living in? Republican obstructionism is a good thing, remember the people elected a Republican majority in the House twice. But tyrants don't like opposition. And you may come to rue the day that the filibuster rule was changed. Perhaps sooner than you think.
        First off Republicans are a majority in the House, not in the Senate, not the Presidency, and not the majority of the country, and they became a majority in the House because of the rigging of the electoral process, the gerrymandering of their districts. So, what we have is a wealthy corporate backed minority obstructing the direction in which the majority would like to take this country. This is the same reason that wealthy corporate backed Republicans are trying their very best suppress the vote wherever they can. They have figured out that its the only way they can continue in their oppression of the majority.

BTW, the filibuster rule was never intended to be abused and misused in the way the Republicans did, so democrats had no choice in the end but to do away with it. Again, Republicans have come to realize that they can't win without abusing the system the way they do.

Really Jim, in your godless universe how are men equal. Based on what?
        Based on our common humanity. Unfortunately some people need a God in order for them to treat others as they would be treated. Besides, many religious people, even with their God, don't believe all men are equal, only those that belong to their particular belief system.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          First off Republicans are a majority in the House, not in the Senate, not the Presidency, and not the majority of the country, and they became a majority in the House because of the rigging of the electoral process, the gerrymandering of their districts.

Go ahead Jimmy, present hard proof that the only reasons the Republicans won the majority in the house is because of cheating or admit you made it up.

BTW plenty of democrats have used gerrymandering too, but you'll ignore that because democrats can do no wrong and everything is the fault of republicans, per Jimmy's assertions. Boy, must be nice to just close your eyes and play pretend when people you don't like do the same thing as people you do like.

So, what we have is a wealthy corporate backed minority obstructing the direction in which the majority would like to take this country.

That's right, when a wealthy democrat (such as Hillary Clinton) is in the public spotlight, their wealth can be ignored, but when when the person happens to be a republican, they are evil fat cats. You're double standards and outright hatred are quite amusing, but you seem to ignore how much the rich have bought off the democrat party and they just play lip service to the poor they claim to support.

This is the same reason that wealthy corporate backed Republicans are trying their very best suppress the vote wherever they can. They have figured out that its the only way they can continue in their oppression of the majority.
          And remember, per Jimmy's arguments, wealth democrats do not exist and do not attempt to oppress the majority though their money (like donating millions of dollars to the Obama campaign, it appears only democrats are allowed to be wealthy, per Jimmy's own arguments).

Based on our common humanity. Unfortunately some people need a God in order for them to treat others as they would be treated. Besides, many religious people, even with their God, don't believe all men are equal, only those that belong to their particular belief system.
          Your system would only be based upon your mere word Jimmy and nothing more. How well did that whole thing work out for the USSR and China? Care to tell us?
          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 06-29-2014, 08:08 AM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Nonsense! In the US “equality” is defined by the Constitution as interpreted ultimately by the Supreme Court of the United States.
            Those are the ones in power. How was Seer's comment nonsense?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

How does common humanity make all men equal? A snickers bar isn't equal to a mars bar just because they're both chocolate bars.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

That is nonsense, how is a Einstein equal with someone born with downs syndrome? In reality? And you will remember James, that this country was founded on the notion that rights came from God. Not invented by the whims of men. If that was the case human rights would be completely subjective, no opinion or opposing opinion would be objectively more correct or valid. So you can whine all you want about equal rights but in your world they are merely a legal fiction, with no basis in fact.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

Go ahead Jimmy, present hard proof that the only reasons the Republicans won the majority in the house is because of cheating or admit you made it up.

BTW plenty of democrats have used gerrymandering too, but you'll ignore that because democrats can do no wrong and everything is the fault of republicans, per Jimmy's assertions. Boy, must be nice to just close your eyes and play pretend when people you don't like do the same thing as people you do like.
                  The majority of the country disagrees with what the Republican agenda. If you don't believe me, just look at the polls. They are for the democratic led fight to increase in the minimum wage, they are for the fair wage, they are for affordable health insurance, they are for extension of unemployment ins., they are for the consumer protection agency, they are for regulating the big banks, they are for taxing the wealthy, they are for reducing the cost of education, etc etc. In other words democrats, whether wealthy or not are for the general welfare of the country as a whole, not the just their own and their greedy corporate backers self interests.

That's right, when a wealthy democrat (such as Hillary Clinton) is in the public spotlight, their wealth can be ignored, but when when the person happens to be a republican, they are evil fat cats. You're double standards and outright hatred are quite amusing, but you seem to ignore how much the rich have bought off the democrat party and they just play lip service to the poor they claim to support.
                  Wealth itself is not the issue, nobody is against wealth per se, which is why there are wealthy democrats as well. Its their agenda, the policies they support that counts. Hillary was the first to try and get health care reform passed, remember, but was blocked by the Republicans.

And remember, per Jimmy's arguments, wealth democrats do not exist and do not attempt to oppress the majority though their money (like donating millions of dollars to the Obama campaign, it appears only democrats are allowed to be wealthy, per Jimmy's own arguments).
                  Never said wealthy democrats do not exist Lilpix. Do you need to put words in my mouth in order to win an argument? It is Obamas agenda to help the majority, or haven't you noticed? It is Obama who is trying to pass all the above policies i've mentioned amidst the Republican obstructionism. I guess Republicans are trying to help the american people by blocking it all, right?

Your system would only be based upon your mere word Jimmy and nothing more. How well did that whole thing work out for the USSR and China? Care to tell us?
                  No, not based on my word, based on a common agreed upon belief of the people having nothing to do with a God.

Comment

The majority of the country disagrees with what the Republican agenda.
                    Is that what MSNBC told you?

If you don't believe me, just look at the polls.
                    You mean the same polls that also disapprove of the democrats too? So I guess using your logic, the democrats cheated on elections too. Boy, it must be so much fun to live in Jimmy land, in which your opponents are pure evil and those you agree with have a heart of gold.

They are for the democratic led fight to increase in the minimum wage, they are for the fair wage, they are for affordable health insurance, they are for extension of unemployment ins., they are for the consumer protection agency, they are for regulating the big banks, they are for taxing the wealthy, they are for reducing the cost of education, etc etc. In other words democrats, whether wealthy or not are for the general welfare of the country as a whole, not the just their own and their greedy corporate backers self interests.
                    And yet Jimmy, what did the democrats do for raising min wage years ago, when they had control of both houses and the president? The only thing they really worked on passing was their health care bill (which many Americans don't seem to agree with either, but you again ignore that because it doesn't fit into your delusions). Of course, the problem with people having these low paying jobs has to do with better paying ones being shipped over seas and your democrat buddies putting regs upon business that have them doing this, so of course, they can turn around and get stupid people (aka you) to vote for them so they could pass more laws, which further drive out good paying jobs. Don't believe me, ask yourself what all these jobs for the coal industry are going, do you think they are going to magically re appear elsewhere? Don't worry though Jimmy, I'm sure you'll buy the whole thing about the democrats actually care about you and will keep supporting those delusions because I'm so sure that a women who is worth over 100 million dollars, understands the struggles of the 'working class'.

Wealth itself is not the issue, nobody is against wealth per se, which is why there are wealthy democrats as well. Its their agenda, the policies they support that counts. Hillary was the first to try and get health care reform passed, remember, but was blocked by the Republicans.
                    You mean the same bill that the poll numbers seem to keep showing low support across the board on? Oh yeah, that bill, eh? Don't worry, I know you'll blindly believe whatever you are told and will not look up the facts for yourself, but I'm sure all those working people, who had their insurance rates hiked up this year really love Obama and Hilary and can't wait for yet other rate hikes that will cut further into their pay checks. Yep, the sure care about the working class, don't they?

Never said wealthy democrats do not exist Lilpix. Do you need to put words in my mouth in order to win an argument? It is Obamas agenda to help the majority, or haven't you noticed? It is Obama who is trying to pass all the above policies i've mentioned amidst the Republican obstructionism. I guess Republicans are trying to help the american people by blocking it all, right?
                    Throwing up a 'you must pass this or else you're evil' isn't an argument Jimmy. Why do we need a min wage hike? What is the effect of a large jump on min wage on the economy? What is the reason that the higher paying jobs are leaving the US? Sorry Jimmy, but do try to use your brain and think for a change. In the past, has a min wage increase helped anybody who actually earns min wage or not? How long should unemployment insurance be extend to? Forever and ever or do they eventually have to cut it off? I should also add, Jimmy my dear, it isn't Obama's job to make laws, that is congress. Why do you want Obama to bypass his constitutional given powers and make laws? Is that how it works for you. If you don't like the rules or the people who have to work with, you just make up your own rules and try to find ways to bypass them vs working with them. Well, that does explain a lot, but adults learn to work with those they do not like. Why can't Obama do that?

No, not based on my word, based on a common agreed upon belief of the people having nothing to do with a God.
                    AKA whoever is the strongest, makes the rules. How well did that work in the USSR or China, Jimmy?
                    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 06-29-2014, 03:31 PM.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Those are the ones in power. How was Seer's comment nonsense?
                      Indeed the Supreme Court of the US and the Federal Courts

Comment

Indeed the Supreme Court of the US and the Federal Courts “are the ones in power” and it is their designated role to interpret the Constitution. How does the fulfilling of this role warrant seer’s sneering description of it as: "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal ." A perfect description of today's liberals!” Is he suggesting that the court system is abusing its power or is corrupt? Where's the evidence of this? Or is it merely sour grapes that the justice system doesn't allow for the denial of full civil rights to those ‘seer’ doesn't approve of?
                        You bolded only a part of Seer's comment. Were you replying to the whole thing, there was no need to bold that part.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

In practice, in the USA today "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal ." is a very apt and accurate description. Sad but true that the United States is now accurately described as such.
                          Indeed the Supreme Court of the US and the Federal Courts “are the ones in power” and it is their designated role to interpret the Constitution. How does the fulfilling of this role warrant seer’s sneering description of it as: "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal ." A perfect description of today's liberals!” Is he suggesting that the court system is abusing its power or is corrupt? Where's the evidence of this? Or is it merely sour grapes that the justice system doesn't allow for the denial of full civil rights to those ‘seer’ doesn't approve of?
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            In practice, in the USA today "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal ." is a very apt and accurate description. Sad but true that the United States is now accurately described as such.
                            I agree that this quote of George Orwell has relevance to the growing inequality between the powerful and less powerful in the US - as was the case in ‘Animal Farm’. But the power of the Supreme Court to definitively interpret the Constitution has always been there. Its role hasn't changed or grown more powerful.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            You bolded only a part of Seer's comment. Were you replying to the whole thing, there was no need to bold that part.
                            I was replying to the whole quote not just the bolded section; sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                              The majority of people what be speaking like that certainly do.

Comment

How many can articulate what the Republican "agenda" actually is?
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment