Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mary Trump could give DNA in Trump rape case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Whatever Obama's faults were, he looks like saintly genius when compared to the current disaster...
    We disagree there.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
      Even if we assume 90% of attributed coronavirus deaths are misreported there have still been more than 50% more deaths from it than H1N1. Can you really not agree that at least by that measure he has done worse? And coronavirus is by no means contained so that number will inexorably continue to rise.
      Wait, I thought it was wrong to compare COVID to the flu. Why are you doing that?
      Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 09-12-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
        Wait, I thought it was wrong to compare COVID to the flu. Why are you doing that?
        I'm not sure what you mean. It's certainly wrong to compare COVID to the seasonal flu since by Trump's own words it's far more deadly. I'm comparing one health crisis to another.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean. It's certainly wrong to compare COVID to the seasonal flu since by Trump's own words it's far more deadly. I'm comparing one health crisis to another.
          Though, if you want to compare numbers. Here's one.

H1N1 infected between 43 million and 89 million people across the United States, between April 2009 and April 2010, according to the CDC. Though not as deadly as COVID-19, local health officials were prepared for the worst when H1N1 showed up on their radar.

So far for Covid 19, 6.6 Million cases. If we pro-rate that for a year it's only 15 million, less than half the low-end estimate of the number of H1N1 Cases. Meaning from a stopping the spread standpoint, Obama did objectively worse, about 3 times worse by the accepted 60 mil number. The only thing that saved him was that H1N1 wasn't as deadly as COVID.

Comment

The only thing that saved him was that H1N1 wasn't as deadly as COVID.
            And the deadliness of the China flu has been greatly exaggerated.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

H1N1 infected between 43 million and 89 million people across the United States, between April 2009 and April 2010, according to the CDC. Though not as deadly as COVID-19, local health officials were prepared for the worst when H1N1 showed up on their radar.

So far for Covid 19, 6.6 Million cases. If we pro-rate that for a year it's only 15 million, less than half the low-end estimate of the number of H1N1 Cases. Meaning from a stopping the spread standpoint, Obama did objectively worse, about 3 times worse by the accepted 60 mil number. The only thing that saved him was that H1N1 wasn't as deadly as COVID.
              And many fewer died even if we discount 90% of COVID deaths so far. What's your point?

Comment

And many fewer died even if we discount 90% of COVID deaths so far. What's your point?
                If H1N1 had the same mortality rate, it would've been even worse than Trump. The only difference is H1N1 had a much lower mortality rate. So the death rate comparison is pretty much a second order comparison.

Comment

If H1N1 had the same mortality rate, it would've been even worse than Trump. The only difference is H1N1 had a much lower mortality rate. So the death rate comparison is pretty much a second order comparison.
                  If H1N1 were as deadly as COVID I'm sure more herculean steps would have been taken to address it. Remember, COVID has killed more even if we discount 90% of the deaths. Before that election we can probably raise that to 95%.

Can you define "second order effect" as you're using it? I'm kind of lost on how number of deaths (or deaths + long term health impact) is not the primary metric used to compare.
                  Last edited by LiconaFan97; 09-12-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

If H1N1 were as deadly as COVID I'm sure more herculean steps would have been taken to address it. Remember, COVID has killed more even if we discount 90% of the deaths. Before that election we can probably raise that to 95%.

Can you define "second order effect" as you're using it? I'm kind of lost on how number of deaths (or deaths + long term health impact) is not the primary metric used to compare.
                    # of deaths = Mortality Rate * # of cases.

H1N1 = Lower Mortality Rate * much much higher # of cases
                    Covid = Much Much Higher Mortality Rate * Much lower # of cases

In other words, you measuring something that relies on multiple metrics

Comment

# of deaths = Mortality Rate * # of cases.

H1N1 = Lower Mortality Rate * much much higher # of cases
                      Covid = Much Much Higher Mortality Rate * Much lower # of cases

In other words, you measuring something that relies on multiple metrics
                      The mortality rate is already a measure of how many deaths compared to the number of cases. Just because you multiplied by the number of cases to get back to the total number of deaths doesn't transform the number of deaths into a second order effect.

I could do similar math and write

# of cases = 1 / (mortality rate / # of deaths) and conclude that the number of cases is a second order effect.
                      Last edited by LiconaFan97; 09-12-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Oh good grief. And you don't suppose that the shutdown and nearly universal mask wearing had anything to do with that a reduction in the total number of cases Measures Trump foughtvtooth and nail. And for H1N1 there was no need to. H1n1 did not present anywhere the threat of covid and no one would have even considered the extreme measures needed for covid 19 as prudent for H1N1. Covid19 Had early mortalities of 5 to 10%. There was no knowledge in terms of proper patient care, no clear understanding wrt asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases. And the long term effects of covid are far more common and far worse than H1N1.

I just dont understand it when people come up with such crazy arguments about covid. Is it just ignorance? I hope so from a moral perspective, but there is no valid excuse for being this ignorant of the realities at this point.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I can give you details. And I watch and listen to far more than one single source, which includes fox. However, I can tell you by watching all those sources and looking at the different ways stories are reported, especially on fox, I can indeed tell you that the primary people looking at these issues through a bias 'filter' is those of you backing Trump. Further, there is no more filtered view of the word on a network/cable new outlet than that of Fox.
                          You contributed to the thread about the Labor Day news conference, where I said the best source is straight to the source - without filters. But you guys just keep assuming people here watch Fox News. They're as bad as the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            You contributed to the thread about the Labor Day news conference, where I said the best source is straight to the source - without filters. But you guys just keep assuming people here watch Fox News. They're as bad as the rest.
                            And here is a perfect example of your lack of reading skills. Go back and look through that post and find anywhere where I made any declarations about what news you watch.

Apply that to whatever sources you watch and it is no wonder you are being led by the nose ... whatever those sources are.

As for my comment in the other thread?m, you clearly didn't quite grasp that one either.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-12-2020, 11:57 PM.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You have to be kidding. Voting for the democratic ticket at this point is an act of desperation. Trump is in the hands of putin...
                              Undeniable proof that TDS is still alive and well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And here is a perfect example of your lack of reading skills. Go back and look through that post and find anywhere where I made any declarations about what news you watch.

Apply that to whatever sources you watch and it is no wonder you are being led by the nose ... whatever those sources are.

As for my comment in the other thread?m, you clearly didn't quite grasp that one either.
                                The Left is fixated with Fox, and the fact you keep mentioning them and ascribing them here is my point. Despite what you have claimed.

Comment