Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alexei Navalny: Trump refuses to condemn Russia over poisoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
    Where is the proof that Putin ordered the poising of Navalny?
    Would it surprise you if he did?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Would it surprise you if he did?
      No, based on Putin's past history.

But, where is the proof.

The way I see it, if President Trump had accused Putin without any proof, then the Dems would claim President Trump jumped the gun without any proof and condemned him for it.

Comment

But, where is the proof.

The way I see it, if President Trump had accused Putin without any proof, then the Dems would claim President Trump jumped the gun without any proof and condemned him for it.
        If in fact Alexei Navalny was poisoned by the novichok nerve-agent, the the russian government has to answer for that. This nerve agent has only been used by the Russian government, and is one of their legacies from the Cold War era. In fact if he had been poisoned by a phospherous agent, or some chemical ordinary people can gain access to it would be easier to blame other forces. But like when KGB poisoned Litvinenko with Polonium-210, it was quite clear it was a signal showing they did it, as such quantities of polonium are almost impossible to obtain for civilians.

Comment

John Ullyot on twitter is not Donald Trump. Trump has been asked about it personally and never directly criticized Putin for it, instead he shifted the discussion to China and how much worse China is than Russia. In other words he was defending Russia and Putin.

Comment

That won't be good enough for the OMB Crowd...
            Originally posted by JimL View Post
            John Ullyot on twitter is not Donald Trump...
            Told ya!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Told ya!
              And you were correct. Particularly when Trump himself when asked did not denounce it.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                "OMB" threads of reality are in, and denial, pragmatism, and stone walling are the response from the devoted followers.
                Are you channeling Joe Biden?

"Stop your boast about never being seemed at what you, you can do anything..."
                -Joe Biden (yes, this is an actual quote)

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/sta...13091544342529
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

But, where is the proof.

Of course. There is almost nothing Trump could do that liberals wouldn't find some reason to criticize.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Not condenming the Russian government for poisoning a man with military grade nerve gas is a big deal CP. And Trump deserves to be condemned for saying I get along OK with him in reference to Putin having done that.
                    Yeah. I think Trump should block the Nord Strem II pipeline. Oh, that's right - he's already trying to do that while Merkel screams and stomps her feet because she WANTS to do business with Putin.

The irony is just too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                      Yeah. I think Trump should block the Nord Strem II pipeline. Oh, that's right - he's already trying to do that while Merkel screams and stomps her feet because she WANTS to do business with Putin.

The irony is just too much.
                      Always making excuses. And in this case excusing the attempted murder of a man with a nerve agent.

And this isn't an either/or situation.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

And you were correct.
                        This should come as no surprise whatsoever.

Comment

This should come as no surprise whatsoever.
                          Right again, like a broken clock.

Comment

Right again,
                            Yup

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Always making excuses. And in this case excusing the attempted murder of a man with a nerve agent.
                              You mean Merkel? Yes, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Trump's check warming of Putin continues. How many opposition leaders must Putin poison before Trump responds.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54039710

Alexei Navalny: Trump refuses to condemn Russia over poisoning

President Donald Trump has refused to condemn Russia over the poisoning of opposition figure Alexei Navalny, saying he has not seen proof.

He said the case was "tragic" but urged reporters to focus instead on China, which he said was a bigger threat to the world than Russia.

Nato and Germany say there is "proof beyond doubt" that Mr Navalny was attacked with a Novichok nerve agent.

His team says he was poisoned on the Kremlin's orders. Russia denies this.

On Saturday, the Russian foreign ministry suggested that if a Novichok-type nerve agent had indeed been used, it did not necessarily originate in Russia.

Two hours that saved Alexei Navalny's life
                                What are Novichok nerve agents?
                                Mr Navalny - an anti-corruption campaigner who has long been the most prominent face of opposition to President Vladimir Putin in Russia - is in a coma in a Berlin hospital having been airlifted there from Siberia, where he fell ill.

What did Trump say?
                                Speaking at a press event on Friday, he said he had yet to see evidence of poisoning in the case.

"So I don't know exactly what happened. I think it's tragic, it's terrible, it shouldn't happen. We haven't had any proof yet but I will take a look," he said.

He also stopped short of criticising Mr Putin and said Beijing posed a greater threat.

"It is interesting that everybody's always mentioning Russia and I don't mind you mentioning Russia but I think probably China at this point is a nation that you should be talking about much more so," he said.

What is Nato's position?
                                Tests at a military laboratory in Germany show "beyond doubt" the presence of a Novichok nerve agent, the German government and Nato say.

On Friday Nato called for Russia to disclose its Novichok nerve agent programme to international monitors. Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said members were united in condemning the "horrific" attack on Mr Navalny.

Alexei Navalny: Russia's vociferous Putin critic
                                Trump campaign Russia ties were 'grave threat'
                                Mr Stoltenberg said it required an international response, but gave no further details.

The US National Security Council has pledged to "work with allies and the international community to hold those in Russia accountable".

What did Russia say about nerve agents?
                                The brief statement released by the foreign ministry on Saturday noted "multiple hostile statements made against Russia" over Mr Navalny's illness.

But experts in Western states and Nato had, it said, for years worked on compounds used to make Novichok nerve agents.

"For example, in the USA, over 150 patents were officially issued to developers of technologies for their combat use," the foreign ministry said.

Under the 1992 Chemical Weapons Convention, Russia and the US committed themselves to eliminating all of their nerve agents and other chemical weapons. The US is expected to destroy its final stockpile by the end of 2023 while Russia officially completed the process in 2017

However, Western diplomats and intelligence officials allege that the Salisbury attack in 2018 exposed systematic attempts by Russia to cheat on the convention as well as deceive the international community.

Salisbury 'shows' Russia stockpiling weapons
                                The Kremlin has repeatedly denied any involvement in Mr Navalny's case.

© Copyright Original Source

Another headline that blatantly lies about the actual content of the story. Another biased report that Shunya has swallowed wholesale.

Nowhere in the article was Trump asked if he would 'condemn Russia' and nowhere did he reply 'No, I won't.' QED - the headline is a lie.

What did Trump actually say?

Originally posted by President Trump
                                Speaking at a press event on Friday, he said he had yet to see evidence of poisoning in the case.

"So I don't know exactly what happened. I think it's tragic, it's terrible, it shouldn't happen. We haven't had any proof yet but I will take a look," he said.
                                The President, at the time of the press event, said that he did not have enough information to give a detailed response, but that he would look into the matter. He did not 'refuse' to look into it.

Originally posted by President Trump
                                "It is interesting that everybody's always mentioning Russia and I don't mind you mentioning Russia but I think probably China at this point is a nation that you should be talking about much more so," he said.
                                Again, Trump did not 'refuse' to do anything - he even said "I don't mind you mentioning Russia".

In short, a nothing burger. If President Trump refused to do anything, he refused to attack a world power in public before he had detailed information about the situation. This is the guy who you all were worried about being 'unpresidential' and a loose cannon, and likely to start a war because of his way of speaking etc etc. Yet when he acts calmly and refuses to jump the gun, he gets attacked for that.
                                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment