Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How do they find them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I would not insult any self-respecting insect by comparing it and its life-style to things like Greene. The rest of the natural world just does what it does.

The comparison to breeding under rocks or living behind the wainscotting has a hint of the behaviour of some invertebrates but no invertebrate was directly insulted.
    Dehumanizing those you disagree with is a horrible behavior. One would think a German would recognize the danger of dehumanizing people.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      Then you're using the term incorrectly.

If some conservatives have a few goals in common with liberals, that doesn't mean the liberals are using them. Nor that the conservatives are idiots.

In terms of propaganda, "useful idiot" implies manipulation, as well as the idiot acting in ways that aren't in the idiot's best interests.

The Lincoln project isn't made up of idiots, and this is true even if you don't agree with their commercials. They simply agree with liberals that the current so-called president needs to be removed from office.

That's in everyone's best interests, including the interests of right-wing conservatives.
      WAY too many assumptions. Leftists are either using these misguided "conservatives" who are clearly espousing non-conservative ideals, or they aren't conservative. They attack Republicans up for election or reelection, which leaves Democrats standing in the void.

Of course you would think the group is worthy of being defended because you're on the Left. People with a clearer vision can see they are disruptive and harming conservatives.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ning-trump-ire

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You can if you want to. Not me.
        . . . but many conservative Republicans are flocking to Qanon.

Comment

Not surprised in the least.

How people behave will vary quite a bit if they know their behavior is visible to their tribe. This is why you can pretend to be a moderate in one place while being a right-winger in another.

I am almost too transparent, here and in real life. I frequently get in trouble for being too direct. What you see (or read) is what you get with me. I am not hiding anything. I mean what I say and say what I mean.

It's more likely that you and some of the other liberals are so obsessed with hating "conservatives" that you automatically pigeon-hole them all as "extremists" -- especially if they happened to vote for Trump.

I keep saying I don't like Trump as a person. He is rude, rambles on and on, is a megalomaniac and a narcissist, and most likely isn't a Christian despite claiming to be one.

BUT, he was a thousand times better than Hillary Clinton and now Biden. He has kept his campaign promises (where congress has let him and sometimes despite them) and he is pro-life and he has put several conservative judges into the federal court system and the Supreme Court. AND he drives you liberal snowflakes absolutely insane (Bonus!)

Comment

Excuse me all of you, while I appreciate the intensity of your feelings regarding Trump, RINOs and the like, I feel you are missing the point of this thread.

Why are creatures who display such ignorance, superstition, and bigotry deemed worthy of being supported at the ballot box? What do some US voters find so appealing in them?

Furthermore why does the USA appear to have more of these sorts of political creatures than other western first world countries?

I realise the USA is very large but...some of the other US politicians we hear and see on our screens here would not last ten minutes in our systems.

What attracts so many US voters to support charlatans, oleaginous creeps, and things like Greene?
            I have wondered the same thing. It seems that US politics has ceased being about who is the best person to do the job of leading the country but has instead turned into a popularity contest where the person with the most "likes" or media exposure wins. This was highlighted during the last election where we had Hillary Clinton who was a terrible public servant but very popular among liberal women and Trump, a media star and billionaire who was known for a reality show where he fired people. Neither was qualified to run the USA. I would much rather have had Kasich or Pence as president. At least they had good records as governors of a state.

On one hand it is good that ordinary people can become public servants, but at this point it is more about popularity and less about qualifications.
            Last edited by Sparko; 08-13-2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              :...he is pro-life and he has put several conservative judges into the federal court system and the Supreme Court. AND he drives you liberal snowflakes absolutely insane (Bonus!)
              For me it has always been about the judges, the economy second...

Donald Trump has appointed and the Senate has confirmed 197 Article III federal judges through June 1, 2020, his fourth year in office.

https://news.ballotpedia.org/2020/06...s-fourth-year/
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Donald Trump has appointed and the Senate has confirmed 197 Article III federal judges through June 1, 2020, his fourth year in office.

Yeah I didn't even mention the economy. My 401K has more than doubled since he took office, despite COVID.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                  Dehumanizing those you disagree with is a horrible behavior. One would think a German would recognize the danger of dehumanizing people.
                  Will.gif
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Dehumanizing large groups of faceless people, sure.

Dehumanizing single individuals is much less scary, and in the case of this particular politician, entirely justified.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Exactly. Conservative judges are HIGHLY needed.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Dehumanizing those you disagree with is a horrible behavior.
                        I find Greene and her ilk contemptible. That is slightly more emphatic than disagreement.

One would think a German would recognize the danger of dehumanizing people.
                        Am I responding to Robert from "the other place"?

Not forgetting that anti-Semitism is deeply rooted within Christianity and has its roots in the four canonical gospels, particularly that of John. Christianity was "dehumanizing peopledehumanized people for nearly two millennia it would appear you have found a representative forum.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Excuse me all of you, while I appreciate the intensity of your feelings regarding Trump, RINOs and the like, I feel you are missing the point of this thread.

Why are creatures who display such ignorance, superstition, and bigotry deemed worthy of being supported at the ballot box? What do some US voters find so appealing in them?

Furthermore why does the USA appear to have more of these sorts of political creatures than other western first world countries?

I realise the USA is very large but...some of the other US politicians we hear and see on our screens here would not last ten minutes in our systems.

What attracts so many US voters to support charlatans, oleaginous creeps, and things like Greene?
                          I don't feel you have a point.

But if really want to know, then observe Pelosi and Cortez, and you will find no reason why anyone would support suck tomfoolery.

Such is life.

Comment

Dehumanizing large groups of faceless people, sure.

Dehumanizing single individuals is much less scary, and in the case of this particular politician, entirely justified.
                            There's always a rationalization to be made when you don't like the person you disagree with. That doesn't make the behavior any more wrong.

Comment

Not forgetting that anti-Semitism is deeply rooted within Christianity
                              Patently and demonstrably false. Christianity is based on a Jewish Messiah. That's just the most stupid thing I think I've ever seen...

and has its roots in the four canonical gospels, particularly that of John.
                              A Jewish writer writing anti-Semitic scriptures about a Jewish Messiah and his 12 closest Jewish followers. What a load of pig slop.

Christianity was "dehumanizing people" [i.e. the Jews and various others] centuries before Hitler did so.
                              No. People who claimed to be Christians may have, but Christianity itself did no such thing. Christianity teaches that ALL are children of God and that the Lord died for everyone.

Then they were in direct rebellion against Christ and His commandments.

If you wish to criticise those whose historical beliefs have dehumanized people for nearly two millennia it would appear you have found a representative forum.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Oh RINO. That's what Trumpsters have been taught to call any republican with integrity enough to stand on principle over party. Not a whole lot of them left out there, relatively speaking, in the republican party as a whole..
                                Uh, no. When someone in the Republican Party actively promotes candidates in the Democratic Party, they are "Republicans In Name Only."

Imagine if the roles were reversed and Democrats were actively sabotaging Democratic candidates who supported Biden, and supported Republican candidates instead? Just try. If you're honest you will admit it.

Comment