Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Let's stop the nonsense about federal agents in Portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yes.

I think it's stupid, but they have a right to be stupid. This is, after all, America. But, probably what bothered me more is this "LOOK AT ME" attitude, where TEAM is what is generally emphasized.
    But it’s a damn sight better then smashing store windows, you soon learned. Maybe the right “protested too much,” which highlighted the validity of the act.

Flag waving has a bit of “look at me” about it, does it not? It’s a type of virtue signaling.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I do all the time. Even back in my police days when gays were not "out of the closet" yet, I was part of a team of officers who protected the gay float in the community parade from those who wanted to attack it. I'm a big fan of first amendment protections.
    Good on you!

The left is getting rather hostile to it.
    Some are undoubtedly
    If they block traffic purposely for extended periods of time, yes, it can get people in trouble being late for work, and it may even stop emergency vehicles from saving lives.
    My exercising my right of free speech should not cause undue hardship on others.

That is true, which really puts kneeling in perspective, yes?

There are MANY on the left who are providing cover for those "few" causing chaos and mayhem. This latest psychotic "wall of moms" and "wall of veterans" shows what rank hypocrisy is in play here.
    MANY is relative. I live in the worst socioeconomic area of Southern California, where gentrification is out of control and the murder rate is sky high. Somehow the left hasn’t managed to infiltrate the area and foment unrest.

"Enraged" seldom turns out well.

Does economic tyranny ever turn out well? Or are you under the impression that the elites care for you?

The fleecing of the poor and middle class is happening at the hands of left and right elites.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
      But it’s a damn sight better then smashing store windows, you soon learned.
      No idea what that's supposed to mean.

Maybe the right “protested too much,” which highlighted the validity of the act.

Flag waving has a bit of “look at me” about it, does it not? It’s a type of virtue signaling.
      Yes, only the left can protest, and the right is virtue signaling.
      What do you think the 'kneeling' was?

That is true, which really puts kneeling in perspective, yes?
      If I am paying athletes bunches of money to play AS A TEAM, the last thing I want is for them to be causing division by NOT being a team.

MANY is relative.
      Far more than a few.

I live in the worst socioeconomic area of Southern California, where gentrification is out of control and the murder rate is sky high. Somehow the left hasn’t managed to infiltrate the area and foment unrest.
      No idea what point that is supposed to make. What does the left have to gain by looting and rioting there? And, maybe they're scared they'll get injured because of the murder rate.

Does economic tyranny ever turn out well? Or are you under the impression that the elites care for you?
      Let's not do the condescending stuff, eh? I care for me and my family and those around me - the elites - on BOTH SIDES - care about themselves.

The fleecing of the poor and middle class is happening at the hands of left and right elites.
      On THAT we agree, but not quite sure how "toppling monuments" and looting and burning and rioting and anarchy make any of that better.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        What I've heard comes from a wide variety of cities[1] with no special emphasis on Portland.

And you're focusing on the wrong thing here.

What do I mean?

Don't you agree if there wasn't so much violence involved in these protests/riots then it wouldn't be "over-emphasized"? So maybe, just maybe for once the emphasis needs to be on stopping the violence itself rather than worrying about whether those engaged in it are being demonized.

1. off the top of my head; Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, Chicago, New York City as well as Portland. And I'm pretty sure I missed a few.

Liberals: Let's blame all cops for what a minority have done.
        Also Liberals: Don't blame all protestors for what a minority have done.

Comment

No idea what that's supposed to mean.

It means kneeling is harmless. You knew what it meant.

Yes, only the left can protest, and the right is virtue signaling.
          What do you think the 'kneeling' was?
          Kneeling and flag waving can be seen as virtue signaling. Kneeling was fast interpreted as subversive.

If I am paying athletes bunches of money to play AS A TEAM, the last thing I want is for them to be causing division by NOT being a team.
          Far more than a few.
          No idea what point that is supposed to make. What does the left have to gain by looting and rioting there? And, maybe they're scared they'll get injured because of the murder rate.
          Let's not do the condescending stuff, eh? I care for me and my family and those around me - the elites - on BOTH SIDES - care about themselves.-
          On THAT we agree, but not quite sure how "toppling monuments" and looting and burning and rioting and anarchy make any of that better.
          Last edited by whag; 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
            It means kneeling is harmless. You knew what it meant.
            Of course I know kneeling is harmless - didn't know what that was supposed to prove.

Kneeling and flag waving can be seen as virtue signaling. Kneeling was fast interpreted as subversive.
            Rogue provided an excellent example of why this was hypocrisy.

Which they could do in their own lives on their own time - not when I'm paying to watch SPORTS, and not be dragged into a political controversy.

I don't have to rethink that "many" is more than "a few".

Laughing --- no, no sky falling here, and it's NOT just three cities.

One kneeler, and you freaked out.
            OK, you're doing that thing where you're drifting into jerk territory. I did NOT freak out, I hardly even watch sports. While I don't like it, it's HARDLY the hill on which I wish to die.

Pence travelled to the game to make a big show of leaving. Such is the respect for the most peaceful of protests.
            Oh, so Pence PEACEFULLY protested the peaceful protest. God, I love America!!!

"take some responsibility"? SERIOUSLY? I'm involved in responsible action every weekday with those most affected --- and you, what, blog on a Christian run discussion board? I work to ADDRESS the problems, and you blog to excuse them?

Social unrest largely makes no sense, since we are basically glorified primates. Look up social unrest prior to Jesus in Jerusalem and tell me how much sense revolt against tyrannically economic powers makes.
            OK, I thought you were different, and were capable of dialogue without all the condescension and "you learned" and "you need to look up" and "you forget"..... I'm seriously thinking you're not really interested in civil discourse.

Economic abuse is a form of violence.
            No, violence is a form of violence.

All you're doing is looking at the chaos and mayhem and finding ways to excuse it. "Take some responsibility".

I am for PEACEFUL protests anywhere, any time.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
              Wait, you had a problem with mere kneeling during the national anthem?
              Yes.
              That was about as peaceful a protest as you can get. I still don't understand why conservatives lost their minds about it.

Of course I know kneeling is harmless - didn't know what that was supposed to prove.
              As well as being silent and peaceful, but apparently all it took for conservatives to go howling on this forum and across the internet was one guy not standing at the NFL. You talk about liberals being easily triggered, but that was ridiculous to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                That was about as peaceful a protest as you can get. I still don't understand why conservatives lost their minds about it.
                Because we are a patriotic lot. We love this country and the symbols she bears. Taking the time that is specifically set aside for patriotic reflection and dedication and protesting during that time, especially using the symbol that drapes the caskets of fallen heroes, is just wrong. And intentional. And, not stopping there, actually LYING about it saying "it isn't about the flag" while using the time for recognizing the flag to stage your protest, is even more hypocritical. Especially for those of us who have served our country, our state, or our city/county and have lost friends and comrades in arms, and have had to stand by as our loved one is lowered into the ground after a life of service to that flag, it kind of gets you a bit upset...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Because we are a patriotic lot. We love this country and the symbols she bears. Taking the time that is specifically set aside for patriotic reflection and dedication and protesting during that time, especially using the symbol that drapes the caskets of fallen heroes, is just wrong. And intentional. And, not stopping there, actually LYING about it saying "it isn't about the flag" while using the time for recognizing the flag to stage your protest, is even more hypocritical. Especially for those of us who have served our country, our state, or our city/county and have lost friends and comrades in arms, and have had to stand by as our loved one is lowered into the ground after a life of service to that flag, it kind of gets you a bit upset...
                  You're kinda making my point for me, it took nothing more than one lone guy to set off the conservatives. It still makes for a rather sad sight.

Comment

As well as being silent and peaceful, but apparently all it took for conservatives to go howling on this forum and across the internet was one guy not standing at the NFL. You talk about liberals being easily triggered, but that was ridiculous to watch.
                    Being triggered Leonhard is generally not about being upset about something but about not wanting to hear contrary points of views and needing a safe space.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Being triggered Leonhard is generally not about being upset about something but about not wanting to hear contrary points of views and needing a safe space.
                      Exactly like being triggered seer. It was, and still is as bad as any caricature of that term. We even saw conservatives staging their own cancel culture on the NFL, and wanted uniform standing by all players. Except, this time it wasn't about people with trauma, or victims of violence, this time it was about a stupid song.

Comment

You're kinda making my point for me, it took nothing more than one lone guy to set off the conservatives. It still makes for a rather sad sight.
                        Wait. who says we have to agree with a protest if it is peaceful? We can still disagree and be upset with the protest's meaning and goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Wait. who says we have to agree with a protest if it is peaceful? We can still disagree and be upset with the protest's meaning and goals.
                          There could just have been ordinary silence from the conservatives. That would have been understood. The papers would have run with the story, and that would have been that. However instead you guys howled about it for months on end, and you're still gnashing your teeth about it in threads like this. And to me its just a guy making a small statement, and it made conservatives split their coats, and call for the cancellation of the NFL, and virtue signalling about how they've stopped watching a sport that doesn't matter.

Comment

• I can confirm that we're going through a small DDOS attack right now. Several requests are being sent per second which is more than enough to swamp tweb. I'll report on how it goes.

Comment

That "one lone guy" had the entire press corps pointing cameras in his face. And all fawning over his... bravery

Heck, it only took one lone guy to assassinate the Archduke Ferdinand and kick off WW1...
                              Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-27-2020, 03:11 PM.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                That "one lone guy" had the entire press corps pointing cameras in his face. And all fawning over his... bravery

Heck, it only took one lone guy to assassinate the Archduke Ferdinand and kick off WW1...
                                Yes, the two situations are clearly the same.

Comment