Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How do you attempt to rationalise with the completely irrational?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whag View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]47157[/ATTACH]
    I'll have to remember "skytazed" it's pretty funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      I'll have to remember "skytazed" it's pretty funny.
      I thought so too :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        Where's your biblical definition of "objective"?

An objective standard that can't be seen, and whose existence we're suppose to accept on the basis of faith alone - isn't objective.
        Well we can't see the laws of logic. They are universal and objective - correct?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          I take it that you see history repeating itself with what the BLM/Antifa rioters are doing now.
          I do not see any rational connection between a fifth century Christian Patriarch and BLM/Antifa.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            Well we can't see the laws of logic. They are universal and objective - correct?
            That's dangerous ground. It leads back to what is "obvious" and what isn't.

Whateverman says that necessity is "obvious", presumably because it is based on logic (i.e. it can't be seen but it is innate knowledge). Logic is learned and is unique to each individual, and is therefore subjective.

Just saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
              What evil did the councils do?
              I suspect the belief is held that the First Council of Nicaea was merely a "rubber stamp" on an existing orthodoxy. The historical reality, of course, was quite different.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                If someone chooses to live near a river for whatever reason, and the river floods and destroys his home, how is that not ultimately a consequence of his choices? Looks like you have some explaining to do.
                Yet all the great civilisations of the world originated in river valleys. The Euphrates/Tigris, Nile, Indus, and Yellow. Hence we find flood myths. The earliest of course, from Sumer.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well you certainly have not made the case. Not logically...
                  I have, extremely briefly, outlined some of the arguments. You simply repeat dogma and personal opinion.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                    It is according to the dictionary. I recognize that dictionaries are effectively kryptonite to Christian apologism, which seeks to redefine words in order to bootstrap its doctrine into validity. However, I'm not obligated to accept those creative redefinitions.

The most relevant definition for the term "objective morality" is that the morality is not dependent upon minds. God has a mind, which says "I am the standard", which makes His morality Not Objective.
                    I didn't think there could ever be a member who rivaled JimL in stupidness. Yet here you are.

Objective morality doesn't rely on God's mind but his nature. It is built into the universe innately. Objective morality means something is good or evil no matter who believes it. Like I told you in your other thread: Torturing babies for fun is wrong, no matter if everyone in the world thought otherwise. That is objective morality.

You either need a better dictionary, or need to learn how to read it more betterer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                      That's dangerous ground. It leads back to what is "obvious" and what isn't.

Whateverman says that necessity is "obvious", presumably because it is based on logic (i.e. it can't be seen but it is innate knowledge). Logic is learned and is unique to each individual, and is therefore subjective.

Just saying.
                      no it's not. Logic is objective. There are fundamental rules/laws of logic that can't be changed and don't depend on what people know or think.

Like "A cannot be the same as Not-A in the same way at the same time"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        I have, extremely briefly, outlined some of the arguments. You simply repeat dogma and personal opinion.
                        But you didn't get there deductively did you. It is a logical possibility for a good God to allow temporal suffering for a greater, eternal good. Even if we don't know the reason(s) that possibility exists and undermines your argument.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I didn't think there could ever be a member who rivaled JimL in stupidness. Yet here you are.
                          Ooh, a personal attack in lieu of a salient point! Nicely done.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Objective morality doesn't rely on God's mind but his nature.
                          ... which is invisible, and whose existence we can only accept on the basis of faith alone.

aka. not objective.

Comment

no it's not. Logic is objective. There are fundamental rules/laws of logic that can't be changed and don't depend on what people know or think.

Like "A cannot be the same as Not-A in the same way at the same time"
                            Right and I maintain that the laws of logic are born from God's rational nature. Like His moral law is born from His moral nature. Both I think could be called objective, though I prefer universal.

Comment

Allow me to dismiss your opinion like you just did my evidence that gave you exactly what you asked for.
                              What I presented is based on known evidence of early Christian communities.

I assume you know the origin of the word bishop? I also assume you know that in the late first century such titles [likewise PopeThe Soul introduces the concept of Traducianismperson [and body] of Christ, but again, I am quite certain I do need to tell you anything at all about any of that
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

But you didn't get there deductively did you. It is a logical possibility for a good God to allow temporal suffering for a greater, eternal good. Even if we don't know the reason(s) that possibility exists and undermines your argument.
                                You have yet to lay out your argument. Why so coy?
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment