Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden Losing Black Voters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Biden Losing Black Voters?

Joe Biden's advantage over Trump with Black voters is currently smaller than Hillary Clinton's was

(CNN)

The death of George Floyd and subsequent protests reshaped the presidential race. It brought race relations, racism and police brutality to the forefront.

In that time, former Vice President Joe Biden's advantage over President Donald Trump expanded from about six points to closer to 10 points.

Interestingly, however, Trump continues to do something perhaps unexpectedly among Black voters: Hold his own against Biden relative to many people's expectations.

There have been over 10 national live interview polls since the protests began for which I could assess Black voter sentiment in the presidential race. Altogether, we're looking at well more than 1,000 interviews.

Biden leads in those polls by an 83% to 8%, or 75-point, margin. That, of course, is a huge advantage for Biden, but it also represents a small improvement for Trump since 2016.

Hillary Clinton was ahead of Trump by a 79-point margin among Black registered voters in the pre-election polls taken right before the 2016 election, as compiled by the New York Times' Nate Cohn.

Biden, for what it's worth, is equaling Clinton's 83% in those polls. Trump's picking up a lot of the vote that went to third-party candidates.

Given the way margins of error work (i.e. it gets smaller as the result gets more extreme), this slight improvement for Trump from 2016 is statistically significant.

Biden currently has such a large lead overall that Trump's small gain among Black voters doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of the 2020 election. But if the race for president tightens, Trump's small gain with Black voters could make a difference. It could cost Biden 0.5 points nationally on the whole compared to where Clinton ended up. That may not seem like a lot, though it could make the difference in a close election. And, of course, Biden's margin with Black voters may tighten further if the margin with other voters also shifts.

Historically, Trump is doing as well and probably even a touch better than Republicans normally do among Black voters. While we don't have a bulk of pre-election polling for many prior years like we do for 2016, the American National Election Studies pre-election polls show that since 1964, the average Democrat has earned 86% to the average Republican's 6%. That 80-point margin is wider than the current 75-point margin Biden current earns.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I don't know why blacks continue to vote Democrat considering the party has only made their lives worse. Heck, even when they voted one of their into the a White House, he did nothing to improve their circumstances.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Joe Biden's advantage over Trump with Black voters is currently smaller than Hillary Clinton's was

(CNN)

The death of George Floyd and subsequent protests reshaped the presidential race. It brought race relations, racism and police brutality to the forefront.

In that time, former Vice President Joe Biden's advantage over President Donald Trump expanded from about six points to closer to 10 points.

Interestingly, however, Trump continues to do something perhaps unexpectedly among Black voters: Hold his own against Biden relative to many people's expectations.

There have been over 10 national live interview polls since the protests began for which I could assess Black voter sentiment in the presidential race. Altogether, we're looking at well more than 1,000 interviews.

Biden leads in those polls by an 83% to 8%, or 75-point, margin. That, of course, is a huge advantage for Biden, but it also represents a small improvement for Trump since 2016.

Hillary Clinton was ahead of Trump by a 79-point margin among Black registered voters in the pre-election polls taken right before the 2016 election, as compiled by the New York Times' Nate Cohn.

Biden, for what it's worth, is equaling Clinton's 83% in those polls. Trump's picking up a lot of the vote that went to third-party candidates.

Given the way margins of error work (i.e. it gets smaller as the result gets more extreme), this slight improvement for Trump from 2016 is statistically significant.

Biden currently has such a large lead overall that Trump's small gain among Black voters doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of the 2020 election. But if the race for president tightens, Trump's small gain with Black voters could make a difference. It could cost Biden 0.5 points nationally on the whole compared to where Clinton ended up. That may not seem like a lot, though it could make the difference in a close election. And, of course, Biden's margin with Black voters may tighten further if the margin with other voters also shifts.

Historically, Trump is doing as well and probably even a touch better than Republicans normally do among Black voters. While we don't have a bulk of pre-election polling for many prior years like we do for 2016, the American National Election Studies pre-election polls show that since 1964, the average Democrat has earned 86% to the average Republican's 6%. That 80-point margin is wider than the current 75-point margin Biden current earns.

I think I posted a link to a study which showed that enthusiasm for Biden among blacks has waned sharply in recent months. It wasn't long after he became the self-anointed arbitrator for who is and who isn't legitimately black. I'm not saying that was the cause in the precipitous drop in that the study came out shortly after his remark but his racist comments about integrating schools and his central role in the crime bills that put so many blacks behind bars had been circulating for over a month by then.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They ain't Black.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I don't know why blacks continue to vote Democrat considering the party has only made their lives worse. Heck, even when they voted one of their into the a White House, he did nothing to improve their circumstances.
          Because many follow the celebrity influence, and we all know what that leans...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            They ain't Black.
            He recently bragged once again on some new lib show about how his record shows how much blacks support him, and he thinks that helps his case when he has no idea how off-putting that is to black folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              They ain't Black.
              And Joe knows black -- especially if they're the "first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy" type.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                And Joe knows black -- especially if they're the "first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy" type.
                That's one of those statements that a "guy on the street" interviewer was asking black people "what do you think about the statement......"

When they finished their little 'outrage' response, the "guy on the street" tells them it was Joe Biden.... "No, NO WAY!!!"
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment