Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The family that owns the New York Times were slaveholders: Goodwin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    What's the point of this thread?

Everyone knows that the further back you go in American history, the more likly you'll find people who said and did things we now think are wrong/objectionable. I have no problem accepting - on faith alone - that there were slave owners in the Ownership of the New York Times.

So what? What's the relevance of this knowledge?

Is this nothing more than a Media Bad! thread?
    Glass houses, rocks...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      What's the point of this thread?

Everyone knows that the further back you go in American history, the more likely you'll find people who said and did things we now think are wrong/objectionable. I have no problem accepting - on faith alone - that there were slave owners in the Ownership of the New York Times.

So what? What's the relevance of this knowledge?

Is this nothing more than a Media Bad! thread?
      Glass houses, rocks...
      You're tilting at windmills. Kindly explain where I've thrown any rocks in this thread.

Or - better yet - answer the question I asked :)
      Last edited by Whateverman; 07-21-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

You're tilting at windmills.
        I posted an article without comment.

Kindle explain where I've thrown any rocks in this thread.
        Kindly explain where I have accused you of throwing any rocks in this thread.

Or - better yet - answer the question I asked :)
        Sure.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Kindly explain where I have accused you of throwing any rocks in this thread.
          Oh, you're back to being a Edited by a Moderator to me again for no apparent reason.

Oh well. I'd thought you'd turned reasonable again, but I guess it's time I stop trying to make assumptions in your favor.

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Watch your language please

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 07-21-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Let's have some consistency here. Why should they be treated any differently?
            They shouldn't.

Let's see the family divest themselves of the paper -- and any proceeds be given in restitution to the descendants of former slaves. Especially any of those they owned or marketed in.
            How does this represent consistency? Have other newspapers done this?

Comment

Oh, you're back to being a [ ] to me again for no apparent reason.
              Actually, no, I'm not. You incorrectly ASSUMED I was accusing you of throwing rocks. You jumped to an unfounded conclusion.
              (And I think that word's not allowed on Tweb)

So, let's be clear --- I was NOT accusing you of throwing rocks.
              It's the TIMES that has been throwing rocks from THEIR glass house.

Oh well. I'd thought you'd turned reasonable again, but I guess it's time I stop trying to make assumptions in your favor.
              OR, you can stop making such goofy assumptions, and, if in doubt, ASK!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Well we want the left to go after the Times like they did to Columbus, the Founders, Confederate statues, etc... Burn it all down...
                So now this makes more sense; rewrite history and whitewash your family crimes?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...a-slavery.html

An August of 1619, a ship appeared on this horizon, near Point Comfort, a coastal port in the English colony of Virginia. It carried more than 20 enslaved Africans, who were sold to the colonists. No aspect of the country that would be formed here has been untouched by the years of slavery that followed. In the 400th anniversary of this fateful moment, it is finally time to tell our story truthfully.

The 1619 Project

Comment

I have repeatedly said that for many leftists if you want to know what they are up to just look at what they accuse others of doing.

In the past couple of years they write about "" and disparage America and our founding fathers by altering our history with their insidious 1619 Project. Now we know they have been neck deep involved with slavery and helping those who wanted to maintain it.

Let's see if little jimmy, shuny and others who denounced those who fought for the Confederacy as traitors will condemn the racist, pro-slavery roots of the Times.
                  The racism fetish and constant hypocrisy of this party is in another realm.

Comment

Oh, you're back to being a Edited by a Moderator to me again for no apparent reason.
                    By the way, I accept your apology.

Comment

The family that owns the New York Times were slaveholders: Goodwin

new evidence shows that members of the extended family were slaveholders.
                      So what?!?!?! probably everyones relatives, second, third or fourth cousins in past history were slave holders. Note Bold.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-21-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        So what?!?!?! probably everyones relatives, second, third or fourth cousins in history were slave holders. Note Bold.

Shuny gets it!!!!

(but I bet he doesn't know what it is he "gets")

Comment

They shouldn't.

How does this represent consistency? Have other newspapers done this?
                          Have other newspapers been run by the families of slave owners and slave traders and sanctimoniously demanded that others pony up reparations for the sins of their ancestors (for instance: 272 Slaves Were Sold to Save Georgetown. What Does it Owe Their Descendants? as well as )?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Have other newspapers been run by the families of slave owners and slave traders and sanctimoniously demanded that others pony up reparations for the sins of their ancestors (for instance: 272 Slaves Were Sold to Save Georgetown. What Does it Owe Their Descendants? as well as )?
                            Probably all somewhere in their extended families some place.

Comment

NYT

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Probably all somewhere in their extended families some place.
                                Probably YOUR family, too!

Comment