Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Edmund Pettis Bridge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmund Pettis Bridge.

Edmund Pettus was a Grand Dragon in the Ku Klux Klan and John Lewis was beat over the head and had his skull fractured crossing it in protesting for civil rights.

http://worldnewsinpictures.com/edmund-pettus

Considering the controversy over the removal of statues and the Confederate flag, I wonder who here would support the re-naming of the bridge to The John Lewis Bridge. Or do you think the removal of the Edmund Pettus sign would be an erasing of history.

I support that.

Comment

I say remove the bridge. Then the name wouldn't bother anybody.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Remove the sign. Don't name it for anyone. Problem solved.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Maybe they could rename the bridge in honor of Robert Byrd. After all, he was Hillary's close friend and mentor and "the conscience of the Senate".
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-20-2020, 11:14 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Edmund Pettus was a Grand Dragon in the Ku Klux Klan and John Lewis was beat over the head and had his skull fractured crossing it in protesting for civil rights.

Considering the controversy over the removal of statues and the Confederate flag, I wonder who here would support the re-naming of the bridge to The John Lewis Bridge. Or do you think the removal of the Edmund Pettus sign would be an erasing of history.
            Personally, I'd have no problem with that considering his connection with it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Edmund Pettus was a Grand Dragon in the Ku Klux Klan
              Holy crap, I supported the renaming without knowing about this...

Yes. It would represent Justice.

Comment

I'd vote for the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Maybe they could rename the bridge in honor of Robert Byrd. After all, he was Hillary's close friend and mentor and "the conscience of the Senate".
                  That's the ticket!
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Remove the sign. Don't name it for anyone. Problem solved.
                    Why would you want to bury its history that way? It should be named for the man that suffered publicly and greatly at the hands of the same racism that was the hallmark of the man for which it is currently named. The man whose life just ended and who is permanently connected with one of the most significant events in the Civil Right Movement that took place right there on that bridge, The Bloody Sunday event that pushed the government to approve the voting rights act in 1965.

The John Lewis Memorial Bridge.

or something similar. That is an appropriate action, an appropriate change.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-20-2020, 01:17 PM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      The John Lewis Memorial Bridge.
                      I have no problem with that.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        That's the ticket!
                        Nope.

Just saw your follow on.

Yep - John Lewis nearly lost his life there fighting for equal rights for black men and women. Those events spurred passage of the Voting rights act. IT would be a fitting reversal on a bridge that for far to long has honored the name of a Grand Dragon in the KKK.
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-20-2020, 01:24 PM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I say remove the bridge. Then the name wouldn't bother anybody.
                          What would be the point of that?
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Nope.

Just saw you follow on.

Yep - John Lewis nearly lost his life there fighting for equal rights for black men and women. Those events spurred passage of the Voting rights act. IT would be a fitting reversal on a bridge that for far to long has honored the name of a Grand Dragon in the KKK.
                            I said that tongue n cheek. I have no problem with The John Lewis Memorial Bridge. I always like Lewis, just as I always like Charlie Rangel.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              What would be the point of that?
                              I was being facetious. Because I think it's ridiculous to change the names of everything and tear down statues and burn down buildings.

Having said that, I do agree that the bridge should have no name on it. That would satisfy everybody, except the diehard history cancelers.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment