Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Extent of BLM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    They're going to have to change that name. I'm sure it's offensive to somebody.

In other news, why is a protest called "peaceful" when it shuts down a highway for several hours?
    It only shut down the road for about an hour, I believe. I called it peaceful because it didn't make the national news, no rocks or Molotov cocktails were thrown, no complaints of police violence, no injuries, and no arrests. If you have to have this kind of protest, it was done right here.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      Over the weekend, we had a BLM event here. They marched and blocked a freeway for a couple hours. It went off very peacefully.

What struck me after watching several news clip was how small the attendance was. Being generous, there were maybe 200 people attending. I have noticed at this and other BLM events, the media has avoiding crowd size estimates. Also, I noticed the majority of the participants were white. I also noticed none of the usual civil rights activist were present.

Racism is a very important issue. But I see this low turnout and I start wondering how much support does BLM really have. The answer I'm sure depends on city or region you're in. Around here it seems BLM is more show than substance.
      They tried again today at the same place but trying to do the shutdown at the 5pm rush hour. The shutdown was cancelled when the state police won't oblige and close the interstate down before hand. A few protested on the side of an on-ramp but that's about it. They said they're going to try again at a future date. Maybe the next time, shut down the airport.

Again, I wonder how much support BLM really has in this area. We're a liberal to progressive region so you would think there would be strong support. The mayor is sympathetic and police look to be going out of their way not to cause harm. They should be able to pull off a big demonstration. In my opinion, both BLM events have gone off like a wet firecracker.

How does the BLM support look in your part of the country. Is there something substantial to it or is it a media mountain made from a molehill?
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

They tried again today at the same place but trying to do the shutdown at the 5pm rush hour. The shutdown was cancelled when the state police won't oblige and close the interstate down before hand. A few protested on the side of an on-ramp but that's about it. They said they're going to try again at a future date. Maybe the next time, shut down the airport.

Again, I wonder how much support BLM really has in this area. We're a liberal to progressive region so you would think there would be strong support. The mayor is sympathetic and police look to be going out of their way not to cause harm. They should be able to pull off a big demonstration. In my opinion, both BLM events have gone off like a wet firecracker.

How does the BLM support look in your part of the country. Is there something substantial to it or is it a media mountain made from a molehill?
        It's ludicrous to think that you're going to win the hearts and minds of people by causing them great aggravation, and possibly keeping emergency vehicles from lifesaving missions.

These are incredibly self-centered punks who only care about themselves.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They had a couple "gatherings" of a couple dozen. It's a mid sized town. A pretty pathetic showing really. I would say support is nearly invisible. The local reports are usually on the national scene, like Portland.

The only actual support for BLM seems to be large city liberal leaders, several thousand blacks, and tens of thousands of marxist white young people.

I don't think they can pull off anything with thousands, just dozens.

Comment

The couple times I've seen the leader interviewed, he comes across to me as whiny.

Comment