Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Washington Redskins May Finally Change Their Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that the name of Washington should be expunged from the plinths of history. As a slaveholder, he should not have a city or a state or anything else named for him. Nor should his image be on any currency or anywhere else.

It shouldn't be too much work to remove him from the public memory.

Let's get on it, people!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I think that the name of Washington should be expunged from the plinths of history. As a slaveholder, he should not have a city or a state or anything else named for him. Nor should his image be on any currency or anywhere else.

It shouldn't be too much work to remove him from the public memory.

Let's get on it, people!
      I'll do my part by disposing of all American currency bearing the likeness of any slaveholder so nobody has to be triggered by being exposed to it.

Just send me all $1 bills (Washington), $2 bills (Jefferson), $20 bills (Jackson), and $100 bills (Franklin). You can also include $10 bills (Hamilton) even though he never personally own any slaves he did marry into a prominent slave holding family.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I saw someone on twitter suggesting the Wasington Red Tails. That sounds like an awesome suggestion to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          I saw someone on twitter suggesting the Wasington Red Tails. That sounds like an awesome suggestion to me.
          Tuskegee airmen? Yes.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The Washington Whities

It's not referring to people of color, so it can't possibly be construed as racist.
            That's offensive. It reminds me of the time I ruined clothes by accidentally mixing whites and darks in the washer.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Interesting development:
              A DC area actuary has spent tens of thousands of dollars filing trademark claims on potential team names. He's snatched up 44 so far.
              Ostensibly, he claims he's doing this not to profit but to get the team names before somebody else can claim them maliciously.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington...-with-nfl-team
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Interesting development:
                A DC area actuary has spent tens of thousands of dollars filing trademark claims on potential team names. He's snatched up 44 so far.
                Ostensibly, he claims he's doing this not to profit but to get the team names before somebody else can claim them maliciously.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington...-with-nfl-team
                Ha. Reminds me of when people were registering .com names in an effort to snatch up all of the good names to force companies to pay through the nose to buy them back. Eventually ICAAN deemed that if a company had a trademark on the name they had a right to the domain name. So if someone registered cocacola.com thinking they could blackmail CocaCola Bottling company, they were disappointed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Ha. Reminds me of when people were registering .com names in an effort to snatch up all of the good names to force companies to pay through the nose to buy them back. Eventually ICAAN deemed that if a company had a trademark on the name they had a right to the domain name. So if someone registered cocacola.com thinking they could blackmail CocaCola Bottling company, they were disappointed.
                  Really? That is bad news. I had Sparko.com, SparkothePirate.com and SparkoPirate.com all registered. All for a share of your pirate gold, when you finally establish an online presence. I guess that means I won't be getting any pieces of eight, huh.
                  ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                    Really? That is bad news. I had Sparko.com, SparkothePirate.com and SparkoPirate.com all registered. All for a share of your pirate gold, when you finally establish an online presence. I guess that means I won't be getting any pieces of eight, huh.
                    Don't tell anyone but the mangy pirate hasn't trademarked his name unlike corporations like Coca-cola. So you're still in the running for some doubloons.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      That's offensive. It reminds me of the time I ruined clothes by accidentally mixing whites and darks in the washer.
                      Mixing whites and darks is bad?

That sounds racist to me.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                        I saw someone on twitter suggesting the Wasington Red Tails. That sounds like an awesome suggestion to me.
                        Nope. It refers to people of color, which in today's "woke" culture means it's automatically racist.

Back to the drawing the board...

Comment

Mixing whites and darks is bad?

That sounds racist to me.
                          I heard that it'll turn the laundry room into a "jungle".

Oh, wait. That was what Biden said about desegregating schools.

Comment

Nope. It refers to people of color, which in today's "woke" culture means it's automatically racist.

Back to the drawing the board...
                            I agree if the Tuskegee Airmen survivors are not comfortable with it, then it shouldn't be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I agree if the Tuskegee Airmen survivors are not comfortable with it, then it shouldn't be done.
                              Yeah, that.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                As we've seen from the Redskins name, it doesn't matter if the people it's referring to are offended or not. If it offends white liberals then it's racist and must be purged from society.

Comment