Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Recent poll: what do Americans think of Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
    Actually, Canada, Russia, Scandinavia, Greenland, and Alaska are going to be the big winners from global warming. When I compare Edmonton winters over the past thirty years, there is no doubt that, in general, Northern Alberta is getting warmer (paradoxically, the week long extremely cold winter cold snaps Alberta has had for the past few years are also apparently caused by global warming; go figure...).
    Yuh. Although I can live without the constant wind. Had enough of that growing up. Didn't know I hated the wind so much until I went back home to visit.

Here's a trivia question for you. Juneau what the capital of Alaska is?

I think you gave a bit of a hint in your question.

Please let me apologize.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I have Nome idea. I'm gonna have to Sitka this one out

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Correct.

The map uses the cylindrical mapping projection. For our purposes, this projection is handy because lines of latitude run straight east to west (for example, the 49th parallel is shown as a straight line, rather than as a curved line as on most maps).

In this map, the cartographer took the southern most point of Canada (the red dot on the map) and extended a line of latitude both east and west. This allows us to clearly show which states are fully or partially north of the southernmost point of Canada.

(I better stop talking now. I'm retired, but I spent my career working for the surveying and mapping branches of the Alberta and British Columbia governments. I don't want to start spewing forth info about mapping projections.)
        It was a joke.

I miss Jed.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I have Nome idea. I'm gonna have to Sitka this one out
          Ack. You guys and your puns.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It was a joke.

I miss Jed.
            I got it!

Hence my reply!

Didn't I apologize enough?

I miss Jed, too.

So, bacon!

Comment

That one's better spoken than typed, and with a slur... "Juneau the Capital of Alaska?" Yup!

Kinda like the question, "Jeet yet?"
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Please let me apologize.
                No need for you to apologize. As I understand it, Canadians are permitted to make fun of Americans, so long as we feel real guilty afterwords.

Now that you mention it, Edmonton seems to be getting windier. I wonder if that, too, is a consequence of global warming.

I do have some fond memories of chinooks blowing into Lethbridge (southern Alberta, for the Americans out there who weren't blessed with being born in Alberta) and the temperature rising by 20 degrees in an hour or two, but in general that wind was pretty annoying.

I see Lethbridge has built a new wind gauge. When I lived down there, the gauge consisted of a ship's anchor hanging from a heavy chain. I assume the chain on the old gauge must have snapped during one of the chinooks.

"My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  That one's better spoken than typed, and with a slur... "Juneau the Capital of Alaska?" Yup!

Kinda like the question, "Jeet yet?"
                  Originally posted by rogue06

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46113[/ATTACH]
                  Jeff Foxworthy famously finished that conversation:
                  "Hey jeet yet, naw, dju? Yu'nt to? Aight."
                  Attached Files

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No need for you to apologize. As I understand it, Canadians are permitted to make fun of Americans, so long as we feel real guilty afterwords.

Now that you mention it, Edmonton seems to be getting windier. I wonder if that, too, is a consequence of global warming.

I do have some fond memories of chinooks blowing into Lethbridge (southern Alberta, for the Americans out there who weren't blessed with being born in Alberta) and the temperature rising by 20 degrees in an hour or two, but in general that wind was pretty annoying.

I see Lethbridge has built a new wind gauge. When I lived down there, the gauge consisted of a ship's anchor hanging from a heavy chain. I assume the chain on the old gauge must have snapped during one of the chinooks.

I remember the chain and anchor!

But I haven't been there since 2008 when my Mom passed away. So not familiar with the ball and chain.

Those chinooks have moved to central Alberta, too. I often see that telltale arch in the west during winter.

Comment

Correct.

The map uses the cylindrical mapping projection. For our purposes, this projection is handy because lines of latitude run straight east to west (for example, the 49th parallel is shown as a straight line, rather than as a curved line as on most maps).

In this map, the cartographer took the southern most point of Canada (the red dot on the map) and extended a line of latitude both east and west. This allows us to clearly show which states are fully or partially north of the southernmost point of Canada.

(I better stop talking now. I'm retired, but I spent my career working for the surveying and mapping branches of the Alberta and British Columbia governments. I don't want to start spewing forth info about mapping projections.)
                      OK, explain to me, again, "Great Circles" --- like when a plane flies an "arc" instead of a straight line from Houston to Moscow.

Comment

Reepicheep, have you seen this thread?

It's the 'Muricans making fun of us!

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...hile-In-Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                          Some of those statistics are of questionable value, but I agree with others.
                          I, too, question the accuracy of some of those statistics. In particular, I think the statistics about the % of Americans who think a civil war may be coming are too high. I tried to track down the detailed poll results, but the poll apparently hasn't been published anywhere on the web.

I don't think most Americans, and certainly not most American supporters of Trump, realize how much damage Trump has caused to Canadian/American relations. And our relationship will get much, much worse, if Trump again imposes aluminum tariffs on July 1, as he has threatened to do.

I don't think Trump has a good understanding of how trade works. Florida can grow oranges much more economically than can Canada, that's why we buy our oranges from Florida instead of growing them ourselves. Canada can produce aluminum much more economically than America, so why not buy cheaper Canadian aluminum, instead of more expensive aluminum from an American supplier???

If Canada put a 1000% tariff on imports of oranges, then Canadian greenhouse owners would no doubt be able to grow oranges at a price which is competitive with Florida. But that is a course of action only a fool would follow.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I'm sorry, smuggy.

I forgot to give you due credit.

Comment

Oh, man! A hundred and seventy nine pages of insults about Canadians? As Bugs Bunny would say:

Comment