Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    "If you don't go along with the latest neocon plot to have Trump removed [...]
    Do you actually know what a neocon is? From your comments in this forum, I'm guessing "no"...

There has never been a neocon plot to remove Trump from office. This is a brute fact, and remains so even if there was an actual plot to remove him. Here's the Wikipedia entry on it, for your edification:

Neoconservatism is a political movement born in the United States during the 1960s among liberal hawks who became disenchanted with the increasingly pacifist foreign policy of the Democratic Party, and the growing New Left and counterculture, in particular the Vietnam protests. Some also began to question their liberal beliefs regarding domestic policies such as the Great Society.

Neoconservatives typically advocate the promotion of democracy and interventionism in international affairs, including peace through strength (by means of military force), and are known for espousing disdain for communism and for political radicalism.[1][2] Critics of neoconservatism have used the term to describe foreign policy hawks who support aggressive militarism or neo-imperialism.

Many of its adherents became politically famous during the Republican presidential administrations of the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s as neoconservatives peaked in influence during the administration of George W. Bush, when they played a major role in promoting and planning the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[3] Prominent neoconservatives in the George W. Bush administration included Paul Wolfowitz, Elliott Abrams, Richard Perle, and Paul Bremer. While not identifying as neoconservatives, senior officials Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld listened closely to neoconservative advisers regarding foreign policy, especially the defense of Israel and the promotion of American influence in the Middle East.

Historically speaking, the term neoconservative refers to those who made the ideological journey from the anti-Stalinist left to the camp of American conservatism during the 1960s and 1970s.[4] The movement had its intellectual roots in the magazine Commentary, edited by Norman Podhoretz.[5] They spoke out against the New Left and in that way helped define the movement.[6][7]
    Bolton is about the only prominent necon left in existence, and even that designation is questionable.
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-29-2020, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      Do you actually know what a neocon is? From your comments in this forum, I'm guessing "no"...

There has never been a neocon plot to remove Trump from office. This is a brute fact, and remains so even if there was an actual plot to remove him. Here's the Wikipedia entry on it, for your edification:

Bolton is about the only prominent necon left in existence, and even that designation is questionable.
      From the NYT ironically enough...

Are you American? If you're not, I really wish you foreign chaps here at tweb would stop trying to school us Americans on American politics. It just looks bad. If you are American, that's pretty sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
        From the NYT ironically enough...
        A four-year-old article proves what, exactly?

Comment

A four-year-old article proves what, exactly?
          That you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
            So, now by Trump's own admission the IC was aware of the bounties from Russia.

Intel just reported to me that they did not find this info credible, and therefore did not report it to me or @VP
            . Possibly another fabricated Russia Hoax, maybe by the Fake News @nytimesbooks
            , wanting to make Republicans look bad!!!

And of course the Head of National Inelligence is Trump loyalist John Ratcliffe whose word is no more credible than Trumps own. The fact is that the National Security convened on this matter in March, a month or 2 after the initial report came out and at that point it is no longer a matter of whether the intel is in question, it is a matter of what to do about it and they laid out a list of responses for the President to mull over and decide upon. Apparently the President chose to ignore them and instead spoke with his fellow authoritarian Putin and then came out and advocated for Russia's re-entry to the G-7. Now, like the original Trump/Russia collusion scandal, Trump in his usual Sgt Schultz routine, says I no nothing, calls it all a hoax, that he was never briefed, or that he never received a daily briefing report on it. But the one thing he and his Administration have not denied is that the intel itself exists and that is most probably because, they know that it does exist.
            Last edited by JimL; 06-29-2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

The story is the existence of the bounties
              Not credible according to the IC

and Trump's knowledge of them.
              No knowledge

Prior to the tweet the claim was that the bounties did not exist. You said this
              Keyword "suspect".

The argument you laid out above covers why you suspect that the bounties do not exist at all. Trump's tweet demonstrates that the bounties exist.
              False. If the IC was told little green men lived on Mars and they found the proposition "not credible," and therefore did not report it, it does not make little green men exist.

Comment

Do you actually know what a neocon is?
                Yes, and if you actually read any of their current material you would know most of them are never trumpers who were peddling the Russian collusion hoax with even more zeal than the democrats.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  Not credible according to the IC

No knowledge

Keyword "suspect".

False. If the IC was told little green men lived on Mars and they found the proposition "not credible," and therefore did not report it, it does not make little green men exist.
                  They not only reported it, but the Administration also reported it to the British whose troops were also targeted by the Russian bounties.

Comment

Yes, and if you actually read any of their current material you would know most of them are never trumpers who were peddling the Russian collusion hoax with even more zeal than the democrats.
                    The so called neocons originated in the 1960's, so no, as usual, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      They not only reported it, but the Administration also reported it to the British whose troops were also targeted by the Russian bounties.
                      According to the NYT.

All I am saying is the NYT is not reliable in its anti-Trump fixation, so I doubt its stories about him are terribly accurate. So far this one is failing on several details (as usual).

When-and-if some credible sources come forward with this story in its correct form, then I will believe it.

Comment

That you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
                        How so?

How does a four year old report prove wrong anything I've said about neocons in this thread? Be specific, if you can.

Comment

Link some of their "current material" here for us to read ;)

Comment

Get out of Afghanistan. It's a no-brainer, though I doubt that will happen even under Biden.
                            At the risk of going off topic, I agree. I have no idea why we still have troops in Afghanistan.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Get your rest. I guarantee this story is only going to get uglier.
                              Or, so you hope.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• So basically all this is just more fake news. NYT printed a rumor that the intelligence agencies dismissed long ago and never bothered to even report to Trump.

Comment