Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Remeber when Trump said that George Washington Statues were next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    The statues in question are on public property and should be protected by the rule of law, not the rule of the mob.
    Suit yourself, then the statues face serious risk of being destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Suit yourself, then the statues face serious risk of being destroyed.
      They wouldn't be if the riots were stopped and the vandals prosecuted.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

They wouldn't be if the riots were stopped and the vandals prosecuted.
        The police doesn't have the man power to do that. And calling in the National Guard or the military would be a mistake. Like it or not, if a crowd of rioters decide that a statue is going down, there's little anyone can do but stand on the sidelines and mumble "Please don't do that"

It would be wise to take them down preemptively. You might not like that. I personally prefer it being done by a democratic process rather than this. However it is better than if the statues are destroyed.

Comment

The police doesn't have the man power to do that. And calling in the National Guard or the military would be a mistake. Like it or not, if a crowd of rioters decide that a statue is going down, there's little anyone can do but stand on the sidelines and mumble "Please don't do that"

It would be wise to take them down preemptively. You might not like that. I personally prefer it being done by a democratic process rather than this. However it is better than if the statues are destroyed.

Maybe we should not holler for police to be disbanded or defunded or both.

That might help.
          Last edited by mossrose; 06-20-2020, 12:07 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

There have been reports of groups now getting together to defend statues themselves irregardless of what the police are doing.

Comment

Maybe we should not holler for police to be disbanded or defended or both.

That might help.
              If all men were angels.

But right now we have a lot of demonstrations going on, and inevitably as is always the case when there are large protests, even if the vast majority is perfectly peaceful you do have violent sub sections. And it is reasonable to suspect that some of those statues will be targeted. I don't want to see them destroyed, so I think it might be wise to preemptively take some of them down.

Comment

If all men were angels.

But right now we have a lot of demonstrations going on, and inevitably as is always the case when there are large protests, even if the vast majority is perfectly peaceful you do have violent sub sections. And it is reasonable to suspect that some of those statues will be targeted. I don't want to see them destroyed, so I think it might be wise to preemptively take some of them down.

Start a movement to do so.

Comment

This is a bit of a conflict for me because of my belief in the rule of law but my theological suspicion of statues. Because the rule of law is clearer in this case, I have to side against the vandals.

A more interesting discussion is how Christians should have felt about the Taliban tearing down Buddhist idols. I wasn't able to bring myself to be upset about that.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

If all men were angels.

I suspect if that is the case then those who took them down would face everything to flash mobs to rent-a-mobs protesting whenever you tried to put it back. They know that they can get you to remove it by complaining and threatening it, so they'll know they can keep it removed by continuing to do so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      This is a bit of a conflict for me because of my belief in the rule of law but my theological suspicion of statues. Because the rule of law is clearer in this case, I have to side against the vandals.

A more interesting discussion is how Christians should have felt about the Taliban tearing down Buddhist idols. I wasn't able to bring myself to be upset about that.
                      Guess when it comes to the bold I have a slight bias really. People on this board might know that my wife is Thai but I guess they won't know that my wife is Buddhist. SO I guess I would care about such things because I know she would care about them.

Comment

Yep, once again they are proving that they just want to tear down civilisation.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...grant-national

Protesters in San Francisco on Friday toppled the statue of former President Grant, who led the Union Army during the Civil War, in Golden Gate Park.

San Francisco police said that approximately 400 people gathered around 8 p.m. to take down the statue, though no arrests were made, according to NBC Bay Area.

Also torn down in the park on Friday were the statues of St. Junipero Serra and Francis Scott Key, who wrote the lyrics to "The Star-Spangled Banner."

Comment

They have two different implications. If the mindset behind what the Taliban was doing showed patterns of affecting us directly, then that would have been cause for concern. Again, it shouldn't really be about the physical statues themselves, but the ideological mindset of those tearing them down and why; such ideological implications could directly affect us eventually because it will influence our politics (there's no reason to think this won't be a slippery slope). This false ideological racism narrative is evidently having a negative effect on the church itself already.

If anyone's interested, James R. White has been giving a series of thorough analysis of it all and it's adversely affecting the church. The first three videos have the most in-depth discussions of the subject.

Comment

Start a movement to do so.
                            If people were tearing down statues in the city I live in I would.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I suspect if that is the case then those who took them down would face everything to flash mobs to rent-a-mobs protesting whenever you tried to put it back. They know that they can get you to remove it by complaining and threatening it, so they'll know they can keep it removed by continuing to do so.
                            It might not be advisable to put the statues in anything other than a museum then.

Comment

Looks like Cervantes is on the hit list too for vandalism.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-15354412.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_de_Cervantes

So essentially Cervantes was a slave himself and his statue is getting vandalised. The far left of course showing they have no principles at all. What a surprise.

Comment

Buddha was not a god and Buddhism is not a religion in the Deistic sense, so not a threat to Deism or Christianity. It's not anti god, but it isn't about God and the "idols" are more pschologically symbolic than they are representative of actual Deities.

Comment