Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    ox seems to be operating with the mindset that accusations prove guilt and that it is the defendant's responsibility to prove his innocence.

The problem with the still image is that it could reasonably be interpreted as showing any number of innocent actions. There's nothing that obligates us to take the DA at his word. Of course in ox's world that means we're racist because the DA presenting the bad argument happens to be black.
    The narrative.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      The narrative.
      It was the same thing we heard while Obama was in the White House. Any disagreement with his policies was dismissed as being rooted in racism.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It was the same thing we heard while Obama was in the White House. Any disagreement with his policies was dismissed as being rooted in racism.
        Yeah, because it was inconceivable that any criticism or opposition could be due to his policies.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My "boss"* at the faith-based mission will often elicit my opinion on something he said or did or is about to say or do --- and he'll preface my answer with "and don't give me no white cracker honkey answer!"

In other words, he doesn't want me to be less than brutally honest simply because he's black.

*my "boss" in the sense that he's the executive director of the organization whose salary I help fund.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The narrative.
            The broken record.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              The broken record.
              Let's see if you are capable of defining my "narrative" in any sort of cogent manner.

Comment

• I don't know the legality and the details of this. However my moral intution says that there's something seriously wrong about a man being killed over a DUI stop that he attempts to flee from.

The only argument I will accept as reasonable are arguments about whether or not the cops had credible belief that he could pose them a threat while he was running away. However I don't buy any arguments that say that because it is okay to shoot a violent criminal convict on the run if he refuses arrest, that it is therefore a green light to shoot a guy running away from this arrest.

In my book the cops can chase after him, and if they catch him, fair game, if he's faster than them. Sucks, but they have his face, and can arrest him again at some other juncture.
                Last edited by Leonhard; 06-22-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  As much as I understand why you changed the coloring on the font I just want to say that particular shade made it much more difficult to read. I think it has to do with the fact it is yellow on a white background, which makes for poor contrast. Maybe it is a thing with my monitor, or even my sensitivity to certain lights, but scrolling through that post is blinding.

Anyone else, besides CP*, have trouble with the yellow on that post being particularly hard to read? I want to figure out if it is a me thing.

In my quote of your post I'm removing the color tag for the sake of my own eyes.

*He's colorblind, so his perception of the yellow highlight won't particularly useful in finding out if it is an issue on my end.
                  The yellow is difficult on my monitor too. I tweaked it a bit toward orange. But not enough. I had no idea it would be physical problem for anyone or I'd have toned it down some more.

The point though is as you guessed, bright yellow is not likely to go unnoticed.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It makes me sad.

Seriously, I found it particularly obnoxious, but....
                    Why, you dont like the fact it's hard to miss?
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      I don't know the legality and the details of this. However my moral intution says that there's something seriously wrong about a man being killed over a DUI stop that he attempts to flee from.
                      If that's all there was to it but you left out several very important and pertinent facts in that depiction, wouldn't you agree?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        If that's all there was to it but you left out several very important and pertinent facts in that depiction, wouldn't you agree?
                        All descriptions do, but yes, he got tasered and ran, having wrested a taser away from the police, and the police thought the taser was a gun. We talked about this earlier in the thread.

I still believe it is wrong for him to die. That he would have been alive if the police had let him run, or chased after him on foot.

I also carefully stated that I respected the argument that the police might act on a belief that their life was in danger. However it's beyond me to evaluate the situation at this stage.

If you're refering to the OP and the title that you commented on way back, then you know that I can't change titles or OP's.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                          Look at the video I posted here Oxmix that show the survelance video from Wendy's .
                          Thanks - this does bolster the case it might not be a kick. The actual still is not from that wendy's surveillance though, it is from a camera inside the car blocking the view of officer rolfe's feet. So we still dont know what that camera captured, or if it shows rolfes actions in greater detail revealing a kick. But I will admit that the action in the wendy's video looks more like a hop than a kick.

Comment

ox seems to be operating with the mindset that accusations prove guilt and that it is the defendant's responsibility to prove his innocence.

The problem with the still image is that it could reasonably be interpreted as showing any number of innocent actions. There's nothing that obligates us to take the DA at his word. Of course in ox's world that means we're racist because the DA presenting the bad argument happens to be black.
                            You need to figure out how to tell the truth MM, and you need to stop making up false and derogatory narratives about what my thinking is. I have not accused anyone but myth of being racially motivated here, and I retracted that. What I have said is that the conservative sources you take your cues from are often racially motivated, and they are.

As a result of the fact those sources tend to be racially motivated, i will not buy their take on what happened relative to this Black DA until and unless hard facts emerge to substantiate it.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-22-2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I don't know the legality and the details of this. However my moral intution says that there's something seriously wrong about a man being killed over a DUI stop that he attempts to flee from.

The only argument I will accept as reasonable are arguments about whether or not the cops had credible belief that he could pose them a threat while he was running away. However I don't buy any arguments that say that because it is okay to shoot a violent criminal convict on the run if he refuses arrest, that it is therefore a green light to shoot a guy running away from this arrest.

In my book the cops can chase after him, and if they catch him, fair game, if he's faster than them. Sucks, but they have his face, and can arrest him again at some other juncture.
                              He was shot because he created a situation in which the officers had reasonable fear for their safety. If he had quietly allowed himself to be arrested instead of fighting, giving one of the officers a concussion, and aiming a weapon at them, then he would have never been shot.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

He was shot because he created a situation in which the officers had reasonable fear for their safety. If he had quietly allowed himself to be arrested instead of fighting, giving one of the officers a concussion, and aiming a weapon at them, then he would have never been shot.
                                I think all that you say is true, I'm still not sure I buy that he needed to die in this situation based on what happened. Almost ten times as many people are killed by the police in the US compared to my own country per capita. Something must explain that difference. In this situation in Denmark the police would not have shot that man.
                                Last edited by Leonhard; 06-22-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment